how should a beginner start making beats

buffalo

was hoping some of you can give out some advice on how to start producing my own beats. which equipment to begin with(software, samplers), how much it would cost ( on the low end budget), the ins and outs, etc.

drop your knowledge for the newb

-p.

id recommend getting a decent mac osx or a Pc with good ram and XP. Then going to buy reason ,a midi interface, and a midi controller.

Or you can google a program called fruity loops and try that out too.

Both products have demos you can dwnld and tryout!

I would suggest (personally) going with hardware first...unless you're already seriously musically/technically inclined. It will make you a better producer/artist in the long run and teach you some much need patience :P but if you don't have that option then go with the Fruity Loops thing...I personally like Reason though, it emulates hardware real well and you just can't beat their Scream Distortion unit.

Before you start making beats, try to understand drums and basslines and what makes them tick...even if you think you already know. You're gonna need to learn what seperates a 'great' snare sound from an 'ok' snare sound etc..

good luck!

Adam

what kind?

thanks for the advice. isn't hardware harder to use than software(which I thought it would be for people who aren't as musically inclined)? if not, why is that? also, do you have any recommendations on hardware for a beginner who is low on budget?

good lookin out.

adam_in_audio said:
I would suggest (personally) going with hardware first...unless you're already seriously musically/technically inclined. It will make you a better producer/artist in the long run and teach you some much need patience :P but if you don't have that option then go with the Fruity Loops thing...I personally like Reason though, it emulates hardware real well and you just can't beat their Scream Distortion unit.

Before you start making beats, try to understand drums and basslines and what makes them tick...even if you think you already know. You're gonna need to learn what seperates a 'great' snare sound from an 'ok' snare sound etc..

good luck!

Adam

Buff;
I agree about the hardware. I have a hardware/software setup based around a MPC, Korg T3, Digi001 and Pro Tools. But, that's a serious iunvestment. Take the cheap or free route and find out if this is "really" your path. Over the past 8 years, the music instrument manuafacturers have made millions on new cats trying to see if they wanna do down who really aren't trying to do this seriously.

fruityloops or some other simple sequencer will tell you a lot about yourself and your interest.

Peace.

whats the easyiest program wheere i can burn ym beats from triton to cdr new guy here

yes i am new to the sight and wondering if theres any videos out there anyone could direct me in i just bought a triton adn are new to seq adn im just strating out making my beats adn bougth that voyte music program so i can burn my music to cd adn it came wit a midi cable and i thougth i would just get teh program and know how to do it but im totally stuck please guide me in the right direction i really want to burn my own beats quick so i can here them im new i only ben doin this a month and and i have reason a friend gave me but it seem harder and i already have a triton i donr really want to fuck wit reason i wanan use my triton whats the easyist program guys where i can just burn my beats on my triton real quick that real easy to understand theres so many programs out tehr im a beginner its hard 4 me is there any books u guys recomend or dvds that u guys know or can anyone help please help me jason!!

it took me a while 2 understand my keyboard and seq a track and anothere adn now i feel like im a lil better and i want to burn my beats cause i have a triton le it has no burner but my computer does so i bought that volyter program and now im totally lost !! jason

If there is a audio output on your Triton (which I assume there is) you can send the audio out to your soundcard, and put that into some sort of editing or mixing software (pro tools free, acid, cool edit pro etc), and get the beats into that, and then save it and burn it.

wakeupbomb said:
If there is a audio output on your Triton (which I assume there is) you can send the audio out to your soundcard, and put that into some sort of editing or mixing software (pro tools free, acid, cool edit pro etc), and get the beats into that, and then save it and burn it.
haha i hears that wake up bomb !! this sight is pretty cool nothin but purple with me anyways!!!! OK I DONT HAVE A SOUNDCARD I HAVE A DELL SHOULD I GET ONE OR SEE THE PROGRAM I GOT MUSIC STUDIO CAME WIT A USB CABLE THATS WHY I GOT IT IT SAYS I NEED NO SOUNCARD DOES MY DELL HAVE ONE??ADN DOES EVERY PROGRAM I GET NEED ONE?? IS THIS SOMETHING I SHOULD GET???I ALREADY HAVE THE PROGRAM I JUST NEED DIRECTION ON HOW TO USE IT IM LOST BASICALLY MIDI SETUP ALL OF THAT I DONT KNOW HO W2 SET UP ADN USE THE PROGRAM ITS LIEK NOT 4 A BIGG ANY TUTORIAL S OR SITES 4 DUMMIES OR PLACES ANYONE CAN CUT AND SENT HERE OR ANY HELP!! THANKS MORNIGN BOMB 4 HELP SO AOUT OF ALL OF THOSE COOL EDIT ETC???WHATS TEH EASYIEST U THINK 4 A BEGGINER

Ok Im Confused Theres A Midi In Out And Thru On My Triton How Should It B Setup I Only Have 2 Plugs On The Cable 1 In And 1 Thru Or 1 In Adn 1 In Out Im Lost !!! Jason Whats Teh Easyiest Program 4 Beginner So I Can Burn My Beats ??cool Etc??jason

When I first started I used Cool Edit Pro. It's fairly simple once you get working with it. When you bought your computer it should've come with a soundcard. It's where your speaker are plugged in. There should be a 1/8 inch plug on it that either has a picture of a mic by it or something like that. You can just go from the audio out on the Triton (which is 1/4 inch probably) into that soundcard...you'll need to get a converter to turn the 1/4 inch plug into an 1/8 inch plug, and then you can just set up whatever recording software you have to take audio from that soundcard. Other then that, I guess you can go from the Triton through USB and get a MIDI sequencer and put it in that way somehow....not sure how to do that though...I don't know that much about MIDI.

What do i need to get started?

i need a little derection. What exactlly do i need to get started making beats (keyboards, mpc, sampling, software etc.) Appreciate any help.
Peace
Estiono

wakeupbomb said:
When I first started I used Cool Edit Pro. It's fairly simple once you get working with it. When you bought your computer it should've come with a soundcard. It's where your speaker are plugged in. There should be a 1/8 inch plug on it that either has a picture of a mic by it or something like that. You can just go from the audio out on the Triton (which is 1/4 inch probably) into that soundcard...you'll need to get a converter to turn the 1/4 inch plug into an 1/8 inch plug, and then you can just set up whatever recording software you have to take audio from that soundcard. Other then that, I guess you can go from the Triton through USB and get a MIDI sequencer and put it in that way somehow....not sure how to do that though...I don't know that much about MIDI.
oh yea i know what your saying ge the lil plug that fits in back of my computer that says mic ???or one of hose yes i have what u are saying bomb !! i pic in corner of a lil mic i also have a condenser that fits in back of my computer your saying plug it in like that really that will work and just use like burnign rom???or cool edit???let m ekno wif im right thanks 4 help let me know more

newatbeats said:
oh yea i know what your saying ge the lil plug that fits in back of my computer that says mic ???or one of hose yes i have what u are saying bomb !! i pic in corner of a lil mic i also have a condenser that fits in back of my computer your saying plug it in like that really that will work and just use like burnign rom???or cool edit???let m ekno wif im right thanks 4 help let me know more
but how do i get the triton beats into my compute program liek burnign rom??etc

i have been a reggae dj for7 years,now i want to know how to make beats from my home. all i have is a computer. what is my first step.

Back