How Do You Use External Synth Patches With Computer Sequencers?

BigLex

I have Cubase, Logic, Sonar, and tried figuring out how to use the sounds from my Roland keyboard, and havent been able to do it from any of them. I searched in help, couldnt find anything helpful.

I'm more inclined to using Cubase, because its compatible with Reason and Halion. Thanks.

They are customizable screens in those 3 programs that can control the Roland from the computer.

In a nutshell............. :cool:

Hey Big Lex,

When you say external synth patches, do you mean using the Roland as your sound module? Meaning that you will be sending midi sequences from the computer software to the Roland and using its sounds..

If so this is what you need , a sound card that is midi capadable , meaning that it has a means of connecting midi cables to it..or a separate stand alone midi interface..like the Midiman 2x2..

What you could do then is..
1) Any sequences that you have created in the Roland can be rerecorded in the software( Im using Sonar) then played back to the Roland using its sounds..this way you can do edits in the software..which i find is lot more practical, easier and far more flexible..

2) You could use the Roland as your midi controller..and use the computer software as the recording sequencing..and simply pick your patches within the Roland or in the computer software..

If this is what you are looking for or need more clarification holla back..

He's lucky with the Roland...it's darn near plug n' play with Sonar. I know that. I was kickin' myself in the HEAD for going Alesis instead of Roland.

You will see your sound patches somewhere in your Sonar Program file...i'm not sure exactly how it works but i know it's in there...for Sonar at least. That other stuff...i'm clueless. Good luck...i think you've stumbled across one of the biggest frustrations using midi controllers! EEEEECCCKK!!! Took me months to get over that one. Still fight with it occassionally.

Yup

Yup. You need a mixer map. Those are pretty expensive though so I just use program changes.

Even though they are not as cool program changes can get you by in those situations. Maybe its time for new hardware though. If you get some new hardware that ill fix it right ???

Right ???

Back