creating a good cd cover . . . harder than i thought

gullyjewelz

I have talked about this before, but reviewing a "history" of BadBoy releases makes me want to bring it up again.

You can go for any type of cover you feel fits you as an artist. But what I noticed with nearly all of the badboy releases is . . . for lack of a better word . . . "intimate photography" as the cd cover.

I mean, from Craig Mack (94) to Mario Winans (2004) nearlly every cd cover has a basic snapshot of the artist. Of course, the level of photography is truly UPSCALE, but the cover is still a picture of the artist, up close and personal. Granted there are a few where there is some type of significant background, GDep and Loon are "foregrounded" over a picture of the ghetto, but even Mase appears just "posing" in front of the camera.

I guess the reason it strikes me so much is because that is basically what I wanted to do for my cover. Just a pic of me, maybe located somewhere in a familiar part of my city, maybe posing or what not. But nothing dramatically glamorous or overly violent (like being strapped up like a walking arsenal).

However I have had some feedback from another website about such a portrait cover. Most of the feedback said the cover looked "cheap" and not "professional."

Most of the feedback givers then showed me their cd covers, nearly all of which looked like Cash Money style covers (the artist amidst diamonds, cars, blunts, etc.)

While I do want a broad audience, if the music does not fit that type of aura, should I not avoid such a cover?

Creating a CD cover is harder than you would think. I was totally unprepared, and still think I could have done better. I think I'll hire a marketing/graphics firm next time. I would caution you against catering to fads. If they said your cover was "unprofessional", and then they had basically all the same style covers, you gotta question the objective nature of their judgement. If that's not how your music sounds or feels, you would be doing a disservice to your work by using a cover like that. Tides change, and it won't be long before everyone is like "What were we thinking???". Just look at jheri curls, hightop fades, dookie ropes (fat gold chains for those that weren't there), and hammer pants. It was good for its time, but we moved on. Just do you, and you'll never go wrong. (Except if you still rocking the aforementioned!!)

D Ruck

i know what you mean about covers - you want something that stands out but aint just "another CD". most of whats out there seems kinda bland, just a face shot, but I think unless you have some type of backing, no one could give 2 seconds thought to another face shot or photo, unless you did somethin outstanding with it. definitely the cash money style ain't my thing, you can only have so much bling on a page.

as far as covers that left an impression: Wu's 36 Chambers/Meth's Tical (dark, mysterious, makes you want to pick it up); Outkast - ATLiens (the comic-book theme fit in well with the whole album's vibe); Roots - Things Fall Apart (they had a bunch of covers, but the one with the girl screaming and running immediately grabs your attention). thats just my opinion tho...

holla...

My covers are on the abstract tip mostly... I dunno, I do what I like instead of what's hot at the moment. Of course, if I were signed to a major, I wouldn't have a say in it...lol..

making a cover can be as difficult or just as easy just like coming up with the title of a song or a hook for that matter

i never really put a finish product to my project/album but my covers are always conceptual my first project had my picture on it another one was a painting of mine which i put my name and the album title

i design covers

i'm not a pro at it but inbetween working on production, video, recording, engineering, writing, spending family time, i can hold my own weight, i've posted a few of my past covers on here, but i have grown since then.

if you want an intimate cover, i believe the key is in the pose, angle, quality of the shot which includes, lighting, focus, and lens.

practice your poses, look through the R & B section of your record store, and study those poses and looks. pic up some of those cd's that may give off some inspiration or creative energy, i think purchasing 3 cd's that may give you or the photographer the art direction you need is worth the investment.

it's you that is going to be seen by the eyes of many so you don't want to sell yourself short.

my 2 cents

alright i know alot about photoshop and gfx design. but lemme get something out of the way before i start giving tips.

http://www.photoshoptechniques.com/forum

they know about everything about the greatest art program in the world. Photoshop.

also, for those who have worked with gfx before let me explain one thing.
you will need high resolution graphics. 300DPI is industry statdard for printing like magazines, cd covers, and photos that have been turned into poster and any other things your fans might buy. your computer monitor usually does 72DPI. with saying all that DPI means Dots per inch. it does mean square inch though. so being that 300 is the norm, most people who make covers that are "amatuer" or "cheezy" will cometo re relization that their graphic is 72 dpi and that most stuff that is smoothed in the original before it is scanned comes out in the reprint pixelated (squares and/or blocks of color)

that is just some info for now. something to chew on.

if anyone ever has any questions about Photoshop or some graphical design, ask me and ill gladly help, i will trade it for knowledge of the recording and studio stuff i need.

Back