Commercial Recordings getting worse

brothathatcares

is it just me, or is the recording quality of rap music getting worse?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I'm just giving my thoughts...

I was just listening to Hurricane Chris' "Ay bay bay" (for the 6 millionth time, that's all i hear on the radio besides "crank dat"... and it sounds super local and low-budget... He even falls off and loses his timing with his vocal doubles several times over the course of the song...

The same for soulja boy's "crank dat" and all the rest of these garbage songs being put out....

Alot of the music doesn't even sound like it's mastered... I played some of the music in my car and there is so much bass and the vocals sound they were recorded in someone's bedroom (Not to mention the worst song ever "laffy taffy").. sometimes the vocals get low and other times they are high...

It's like the music industry doesn't even care about putting out quality recordings..

What's your thoughts??

When it comes to the rap game, no, labels don't care if it sound like crap or not. If it can create a "fad" or "movement" that translates into a quick million, consider it done.

If i could record a train passing by my house and have everybody in america doing "The Drive By Train" in the club, they'll play it every hour on the hour....mixed/mastered or not.

It's strickly about numbers...nothing more. Music has absolutely nothing to do with it.

That said, it's only natural that the quality of music decline. These guys are recording in the bathrooom on radio shack mics and making hits. Why? Cause everybody want's to do the -insert popular dance- at the club tonight...

Those 2 artists are recording in cheaper studios. And so is much of the artists that are not dominate. The ones that are signed to a major label with big recording budgets, the production team etc do care if it sounds like crap or not. Then, radio stations themselves, further mix things down, radio edits of tracks are usually compressed to shit by the time it hits radios. Many factors come into plays. Saying that a label doesn't care is wrong. And it's not all strickly about numbers. People have to eat too, so do the thousands that work for Universal. Hell yeah the industry is messed up, but not with the points that were given. Music generally has everything to do with it. The same ole thing gets boring, so this is a dynamic industry, in just about every industry, "movements" "fads" are used & created. The next big burger, the next new computer, the newest gaming system, just about everything. Being an industry, and demands needing to be supplied, of course someone will jump on it. The rest of the mainstream that has a name usually have great sound.

When it comes to the rap game, no, labels don't care if it sound like crap or not. If it can create a "fad" or "movement" that translates into a quick million, consider it done.

If i could record a train passing by my house and have everybody in america doing "The Drive By Train" in the club, they'll play it every hour on the hour....mixed/mastered or not.

It's strickly about numbers...nothing more. Music has absolutely nothing to do with it.

That said, it's only natural that the quality of music decline. These guys are recording in the bathrooom on radio shack mics and making hits. Why? Cause everybody want's to do the -insert popular dance- at the club tonight...

Every genre of music has its "surface" and its "core" - - core to every genre is concerned with all the intricasies of "real artistic endeavor" and surface to every genre is concerned with "quick marketry" - at least be cognizant of this when discussing the surface artists . . . stop jumbling everything into 1 lump sum . . .

surface music has always been and will always be . . . "puff" and less interested in genuine artistic voices . . . . . . GET IN WHERE U FIT IN and leave the rest on the sideline!

i would have to agree with the original poster.....the sound quality is poor and not only is the sound poor but as for the actual instrument selections for these song.....like soulja boy.....why would you use a reggae drum sound as your primary sound when the song has nothing to do with that genre....maybe im old school. but there are thousands of songs like that. and as far as the radio stations go.....here in San Antonio...i think all of our stations have a five song rotation. 1. Soulja boy 2. Shorty 3. Umberella 4. You can put the blame on me 5. Bartender.....and whats sad is......when they do request.....those are the only songs that get requested.

i would have to agree with the original poster.....the sound quality is poor and not only is the sound poor but as for the actual instrument selections for these song.....like soulja boy.....why would you use a reggae drum sound as your primary sound when the song has nothing to do with that genre....maybe im old school. but there are thousands of songs like that. and as far as the radio stations go.....here in San Antonio...i think all of our stations have a five song rotation. 1. Soulja boy 2. Shorty 3. Umberella 4. You can put the blame on me 5. Bartender.....and whats sad is......when they do request.....those are the only songs that get requested.

Word!

--Re-Lapse

Actually, for major radio stations, there's a 10 song rotation that must be played at least once every hour...purely based on ratings.

I got this info str8 from a program director...

kinda offtopic, but damn did you hear soulja boy, re-done by Travis Barker...fewwwwwww.....that shit is dope!

That's dope...way better than the original.

And I've heard some parts of his new album...still shit.

Last edited:
everyone wants to be a "producer" so crappy rappers become crappy "producers. have everything the would ever need, but dont know how to use it.

let the players play - anyone who really has the ability to bring a project to the market on a mass level - theres got to be somethign they r doin right - in this day n age - if u gotta do what most refer to as BULLSHIT MUSIC to get out there/on radio and put your hot/hi quality shit on the cd as the "filler" - then do it - whats there to lose?

make em dance - and then release a HIPHOP joint as the underground/b-side - then u git both audiences . . .

The problem I have is that these artists/producers clearly have no talent... I'm serious. This is music that ANYBODY with fruity loops and a computer mic can make, but it's being marketed as being high quality, top-of-the-line music....

I feel like they are lowering the value of music,

When I hear the music on the radio i feel like they are literally telling you that ANYBODY can do it.

by 2010, I predict that you will be able to buy a complete recording studio at Wal-Mart for $29.95

well im pretty shure the only people out there listening who really care about tha sound quality of crank dat are people who do redcording, i dont ever recall being at a party n hearin a girl say, i cant shake my ass to this, tha vocals arent even compressed, like other dude said, mainstream stuff is really juss for entertainment, juss cause some might care about sound quality or lyricism doesnt mean the general public does, they juss want somthin to listen to and enjoy, all tha technical stuff is meaningless to em...

oh n im pretty shure some of those kids actually made tha songs in their bedrooms, even tho i think tha shit is wack, i gotta give it to em, makin a number #1 smash hit with very little isnt very easy...

well im pretty shure the only people out there listening who really care about tha sound quality of crank dat are people who do redcording, i dont ever recall being at a party n hearin a girl say, i cant shake my ass to this, tha vocals arent even compressed, like other dude said, mainstream stuff is really juss for entertainment, juss cause some might care about sound quality or lyricism doesnt mean the general public does, they juss want somthin to listen to and enjoy, all tha technical stuff is meaningless to em...

oh n im pretty shure some of those kids actually made tha songs in their bedrooms, even tho i think tha shit is wack, i gotta give it to em, makin a number #1 smash hit with very little isnt very easy...

I already know that. And I disagree with that last statement... I know that people are just eating up whatever is put on mainstream radio/TV just because it's new....

The DJ played shoulder lean in da club last week and got booed because they wanted to hear "Crank Dat" because shoulder lean is old now... what does that tell you?

Right now it actually is easy to make a hit because dance music is popular nowadays...

Just take the time to think about it... All those who are trying to make it in the music industry are having a hard time because of the garbage that's being put out...

If you really think about it, you will realize that it doesn't take much talent at all to do what they do... So I see it as a message to america that it doesn't take talent to make hits anymore....

ok, then make a song, dumb it down to tha level of crank dat and laffy taffy, then go out n make it a number 1 hit, go ahead, for the sake of our discussion,

lol, ofcoarse it doesnt take any talent, those songs are horrible, but most if not all of those rappers have been puttin in alot of work independant and locally for years before they hit tha maintream

i dont listen to any of em, cause i personally find it horrid, but i do respect em...

ok, then make a song, dumb it down to tha level of crank dat and laffy taffy, then go out n make it a number 1 hit, go ahead, for the sake of our discussion,

lol, ofcoarse it doesnt take any talent, those songs are horrible, but most if not all of those rappers have been puttin in alot of work independant and locally for years before they hit tha maintream

i dont listen to any of em, cause i personally find it horrid, but i do respect em...

I feel what you are sayin man... I guess i'm just a kinda bitter right now cuz of the situation with music today... idk.... i got respect for 'em too i guess...

Back