Books

This is whats in my Lab:

All You Need to Know About the Music Business
Donald S. Passman

Start and Run Your Own Record Label
Daylle Deanna Schwartz

This Business of Music
M. William Krasilovsky

Music Business (Explained in Plain English): What Every Artist and Songwriter Should Know to Avoid Getting Ripped Off!
David Naggar

Label Launch: A Guide to Independent Record Recording, Promotion, and Distribution
Veronika Kalmar

Confessions of a Record Producer,2 Ed: How to Survive the Scams and Shams of the Music Business
Moses Avalon

Hit Men: Power Brokers and Fast Money Inside the Music Business
Fredric Dannen

Gotta Get Signed: How to Become a Hip-Hop Producer
Sahpreem King

What They'll Never Tell You about the Music Business: The Myths, the Secrets, the Lies (and a Few Truths)
Peter M. Thall

Songwriter's Market 2004
Ian Bessler (Editor)

Making It in the Music Business: The Insider Secrets
Carl Campbell

The Music Power That Be..
Charles "Chirocco" Jones

i read pretty much all them..some are more on business terms..and other are true down to earth fact..that are really helpful..so i would recommend you pick up these..and you should be ok..

Making It in the Music Business: The Insider Secrets
Carl Campbell

The Music Power That Be..
Charles "Chirocco" Jones (you have to order this from http://www.musicpowers.com )

Gotta Get Signed: How to Become a Hip-Hop Producer
Sahpreem King

What They'll Never Tell You about the Music Business: The Myths, the Secrets, the Lies (and a Few Truths)
Peter M. Thall

This Business of Music
M. William Krasilovsky

Music Business (Explained in Plain English): What Every Artist and Songwriter Should Know to Avoid Getting Ripped Off!
David Naggar

Confessions of a Record Producer,2 Ed: How to Survive the Scams and Shams of the Music Business
Moses Avalon

Check this out, especially the recommended reading section.

http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/index.htm

I got these 2 so far:
Modern Recording Techniques - Huber & Runstein
The Mixing Engineer's Handbook - Bobby Owsinski

The first is more a reference guide covering everything concerning audio. The 2nd is sort of a Q&A with a bunch of very well respected engineers. You get a lot of different approaches to various studio techniques. Highly recommend that one.

For playing keys, I got “Piano For Dummies”. Good book actually. I got “Picture Chord Encyclopedia” by Proline, which is a huge book with pretty much every chord (plus it’s inversions) and pictures. I also got “Hanon - The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises”, which is real good technique/speed builder.

Business related, I have “Kashif’s A&R Source Guide” and “The Musician’s Atlas”. Both are very good resources for industry contacts. The Atlas gives you managers, lawyers, booking agents, radio stations and clubs from around the country too.

I got a subscription to Keyboard magazine. I used to get Electronic Musician, but they’re too devoted to software now.

I have quite a few books on my 'to get' list. but so far i have...

All You Need To Know About The Music Business - Donald Passman
Start & Run Your Own Record Lable -Dayle Denna Schwartz

I have Modern Recording Techniques by Huber And Runstein ( School Book)
Going Digital by Brad Hill (another school book)
Starting your Own record label (My brother has that one I forgot the author.
Knot thow with all those books man you should be king of the bizz by now are any of them helping you at all?

bknot1 said:
what books you have on your to-get list
The Mixing Engineers Handbook
The Art of Mixing
This Business of Music
This Business Of Artist Managment
This Business of Marketing and Promotion
Cubase SX3 Power (or maybe Ignite)

Oh ya I also have ...
The Gig Bag Book of Picture Chords for all Keyboards
Producing in the Home Studio with ProTools (had a digi002r for a short time)
You Can Teach Yourself Electric Bass
Eat That Frog (anti-procrastination book)

chalin27 said:
I have Modern Recording Techniques by Huber And Runstein ( School Book)
Going Digital by Brad Hill (another school book)
Starting your Own record label (My brother has that one I forgot the author.
Knot thow with all those books man you should be king of the bizz by now are any of them helping you at all?

yeah all the book i have are very helpful in the business sense..

OOOHH.. i forgot, i also have the FruityLoops Bible :D Right next to the real Holy Bible.

if anyone needs the FL Bible (yes - that's what it's called), I have it in a PDF file. it's 300+ pages, but i used my office's printer, 3-hole punch, and 3" ringed binder for it. :cool:

let me know if you could use it.

Bless.

Back