In your opinion, Is this a good setup?

Heezzi

How would you rate this setup? An problems you see with it?

What audio card would you get for it? I will mostly be recording vocals.

CASE: AMD Certified ATX Medium Tower Case - 300 Watt
CD: 56x CD-ROM
CD-RECORDER: None
COOLING SYS: AMD Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink [Up to 2.0GHz]
CPU: AMD Athlon® XP-2000+ Processor AS22 (+456)
FLOPPY: Mitsumi 1.44MB
HARD DRIVE: 60GB 7200 RPM UDMA 133 (+35)
KEYBOARD: PS2 Windows 98 Keyboard
MEMORY: 512MB PC2100 266MHz DDR Memory
MODEM: PCI 56K V.90 Fax modem with Voice Speakerphone
MOTHERBOARD: Azza VIA KT-266A DDR 4X AGP Mainboard (+0)
MOUSE: PS2 Internet Mouse
SERVICE: Standard: 3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
SOFTWARE: None
SOUND: AC97 3D Wavetable Sound
SPEAKERS: 120 WATT STEREO SPEAKERS SYSTEM
VIDEO: BUILD IN 64MB SHARE VGA FOR MSI MB OR NONE
ZIP: None

and using a GeForce 2 MS 400 as the videocard.

Sure. Looks good. If you're looking at the C-Port though, I believe there are some compatibility issues with the GE Force 2. You might also want to look at XP Pro instead of Home.

Can you clarify me on the C-Port?

I am getting the burner from newegg.com. It was cheaper than the one the dealer was charging, also it recieved well reader reviews for the one I'm getting. Plus, I couldn't remove the cdrom from the configarator.

The Price of the rig above comes to $491 Thats a good price for a system configerator.

C-Port being an audio card/breakout box (made by ST-Audio / Hoontech). You've got many to choose from (Delta products are very good), but if you decide on a C-Port, double check with the manufacturer to make sure it'll work with your video card.

c-port compatibility with GForce 2

Seanmorse79 said:
C-Port being an audio card/breakout box (made by ST-Audio / Hoontech). You've got many to choose from (Delta products are very good), but if you decide on a C-Port, double check with the manufacturer to make sure it'll work with your video card.

I'm looking at getting the c-port, and also a GForce 2 (AGP)......

The ST-Audio website doesn't mention any compatibility issues with the GForce2, but has anyone experienced any problems with this combo?

Cheers,
Simmo.

seanmorse, i just put together my system (FINALLY!!) with a geforce2 mx 64mb(from my other computer) and the cport is on the way............am i gonna have issues with this?

Heezzi,

Okay...you didn't say what you were going to do with this so it looks good - for basic surfing and sending email.

If you are planning on doing any audio work - here are some thoughts:

1. Bigger better PS - 350 minimum
2. Okay
3. Not Okay - Get a CDRW
4. Gonna be a hot one inside that case with the AMD. Need more cooling for this chip and this case.
5. AMD? Okay...I am not going to get into a AMD/Intel match here.
6. Floppy: Fine.
7. Hard Disk - you need at least one more drive to even start avoiding the myraid of pops, click and crackles that are coming to your world.
8. Keyboard - Good
9. RAM - Good
10. Modem? Do they even make these anymore?
11. Motherboard - never even heard of this and the VIA chipset has a history of issues...lots of them.
12. Mouse - Fine
13. OS - Go XP Pro
14. Sound - Get a real sound card...goes with out saying. The most critical piece of this rig.
15. Speakers - You should think about some decent monitors - not one from the front room home stereo
16. Video - Matrox (say a G450) would be better.

Again - no mention of budget either. However if 491.00 is in your ballpark, then you will get what you pay for with this setup. I wouldn't expect too much from it in the way of troublefree performance.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Heezzi said:
How would you rate this setup? An problems you see with it?

What audio card would you get for it? I will mostly be recording vocals.

CASE: AMD Certified ATX Medium Tower Case - 300 Watt
CD: 56x CD-ROM
CD-RECORDER: None
COOLING SYS: AMD Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink [Up to 2.0GHz]
CPU: AMD Athlon® XP-2000+ Processor AS22 (+456)
FLOPPY: Mitsumi 1.44MB
HARD DRIVE: 60GB 7200 RPM UDMA 133 (+35)
KEYBOARD: PS2 Windows 98 Keyboard
MEMORY: 512MB PC2100 266MHz DDR Memory
MODEM: PCI 56K V.90 Fax modem with Voice Speakerphone
MOTHERBOARD: Azza VIA KT-266A DDR 4X AGP Mainboard (+0)
MOUSE: PS2 Internet Mouse
SERVICE: Standard: 3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
SOFTWARE: None
SOUND: AC97 3D Wavetable Sound
SPEAKERS: 120 WATT STEREO SPEAKERS SYSTEM
VIDEO: BUILD IN 64MB SHARE VGA FOR MSI MB OR NONE
ZIP: None

and using a GeForce 2 MS 400 as the videocard.

Re: Re: In your opinion, Is this a good setup?

1. Ok
3. Duh, it's called http://www.newegg.com/
5. It's calledthe price to performance ratio.
7. See #3
10. Who cares, Network Adapter
11. Echo Recomended Althon XP Chipset. There is a difference between Althon & Althon XP. Being isn't good.
14. No shit Sherlock.
15. See #14
16. See #14

I at no point said it was a complete system.

Cuzin B said:
Heezzi,

Okay...you didn't say what you were going to do with this so it looks good - for basic surfing and sending email.

If you are planning on doing any audio work - here are some thoughts:

1. Bigger better PS - 350 minimum
2. Okay
3. Not Okay - Get a CDRW
4. Gonna be a hot one inside that case with the AMD. Need more cooling for this chip and this case.
5. AMD? Okay...I am not going to get into a AMD/Intel match here.
6. Floppy: Fine.
7. Hard Disk - you need at least one more drive to even start avoiding the myraid of pops, click and crackles that are coming to your world.
8. Keyboard - Good
9. RAM - Good
10. Modem? Do they even make these anymore?
11. Motherboard - never even heard of this and the VIA chipset has a history of issues...lots of them.
12. Mouse - Fine
13. OS - Go XP Pro
14. Sound - Get a real sound card...goes with out saying. The most critical piece of this rig.
15. Speakers - You should think about some decent monitors - not one from the front room home stereo
16. Video - Matrox (say a G450) would be better.

Again - no mention of budget either. However if 491.00 is in your ballpark, then you will get what you pay for with this setup. I wouldn't expect too much from it in the way of troublefree performance.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Re: Re: Re: In your opinion, Is this a good setup?

Yeah - but you wanted us to rate it, didn't ya? So I am rating it, okay? No need to get all defensive if people are going to tell you what they think about your choices.

If you don't want people to tell it like it is - buy this system and don't bother posting.

Heezzi said:
1. Ok
3. Duh, it's called http://www.newegg.com/
5. It's calledthe price to performance ratio.
7. See #3
10. Who cares, Network Adapter
11. Echo Recomended Althon XP Chipset. There is a difference between Althon & Althon XP. Being isn't good.
14. No shit Sherlock.
15. See #14
16. See #14

I at no point said it was a complete system.

Re: Re: Re: Re: In your opinion, Is this a good setup?

There is a difference between contructive critisism and negativity. Look at your post compared to everyone else's. Learn the difference.

Cuzin B said:
Yeah - but you wanted us to rate it, didn't ya? So I am rating it, okay? No need to get all defensive if people are going to tell you what they think about your choices.

If you don't want people to tell it like it is - buy this system and don't bother posting.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In your opinion, Is this a good setup?

Heezzi,

Didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot with you. Bloody forums like this make everything word look so serious. All I am saying is that a $491.00 dollar system is not going to bring you any joy.

I have seen this kind of request too many times in here only to see the poster come right back two weeks later asking for help on a ton of technical issues.

I am trying to help...just want to you to get off on the right foot and enjoy your recording exeprience.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Heezzi said:
There is a difference between contructive critisism and negativity. Look at your post compared to everyone else's. Learn the difference.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In your opinion, Is this a good setup?

I can understand that. The probelm is though is that I checked the system before purchasing. The only reason I posted the specs was to make sure there wasn't anything I overlooked. You automaticy jumped to conclusions and used your bias for the reason. The fact is that *if* everyone said there a problem, I could understand. That isn't the case. For whatever reason, you hate AMD proccessors. What if someone said to you that your system sucks because it isn't a Mac. The point is your need to treat ever situation differently. If you hate AMD so much, you shouldn't have posted in this topic in the first place. Better yet, if you don't like to help people, don't try to help.

BTW check your registration date compared to mine. All because my post count is low, don't mean I haven't been here.
Cuzin B said:
Heezzi,

Didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot with you. Bloody forums like this make everything word look so serious. All I am saying is that a $491.00 dollar system is not going to bring you any joy.

I have seen this kind of request too many times in here only to see the poster come right back two weeks later asking for help on a ton of technical issues.

I am trying to help...just want to you to get off on the right foot and enjoy your recording exeprience.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

hmm

get a high power supply, at least 350, get a better cooling system, don't go with the stock one, get an outside make and make sure its quiet. ive never heard of your mother board, but if your gonna spend extra anywhere, make it into the mother board. Get and Asus or an Abit, the best one possible. or another brand thats good, that one might be, but ive never heard of it. And you might want to consider a delta 44 if it fits your budget, thats if your going to be recording.

Re: hmm

Ok those problems are solved. I received the computer yesterday. It came in with a Shuttle KT266A mobo (features an award sticker with names such as Toms hardware and OC workbench), a 350 watt case, AMD XP 2200 CPU Fan (Cpu is only XP 2000) and 3 Three Inch case fans. I would recomend Cyber Power to anyone.

How much is the delta 44? I was going to get a Echo Mia card. Also what 17 inch monitor would anybody recomend or a link to recomend ones for graphics applications?

ambi said:
get a high power supply, at least 350, get a better cooling system, don't go with the stock one, get an outside make and make sure its quiet. ive never heard of your mother board, but if your gonna spend extra anywhere, make it into the mother board. Get and Asus or an Abit, the best one possible. or another brand thats good, that one might be, but ive never heard of it. And you might want to consider a delta 44 if it fits your budget, thats if your going to be recording.

Back