Yamaha AW16G + Mbox + protools = ?

washingtonbc

Hello friends-

I've had my Yamaha AW16G for a year now, and this site has been so valuable to me! I feel that I've conquered a lot of technology this last year. As I begin a new adventure, a few questions...

I am buying a brand new MBox with Protools LE and keeping my G. I want to use the G in my main music room to record acoustic drumset parts.

I then want to export those digitally recorded tracks to Protools located in my "control" room via wav files on cdr, so...

1) What is the best way to do this (best sound quality)? I don't need to worry about transfering any G effects, etc. I will use protools plugins for that...just looking for the best way to export raw drum sounds that I've recorded with my G.

2) The G is 16 bit, protools is 24 or 16 bits. Will the exported drum tracks be at 16? I am lost in these transfers and what they mean.

3) With the 5-6 tracks of G recorded drums now in protools, I will overdub bass, guitar, etc, using the MBox's 2 inputs in 24 bit/16bit. Sounds easy? Am I missing something?

Any other insights? I have searched through the archives and haven't really seen answers to these exact questions. Thanks for your help.

I really enjoy using the G alot. The preamps and recording features are very good. That is why I want to do it this way and jump into protools at minimal expense (less than $500). I think that I can use the best of the G and protools effectivley together. In a few years, I can always upgrade to whats available.

BC

I then want to export those digitally recorded tracks to Protools located in my "control" room via wav files on cdr, so...

1) What is the best way to do this (best sound quality)? I don't need to worry about transfering any G effects, etc. I will use protools plugins for that...just looking for the best way to export raw drum sounds that I've recorded with my G.
The Yamaha will let you burn data CDs?? Just burn a data CD and then copy them onto your computer...then import them into Pro Tools

2) The G is 16 bit, protools is 24 or 16 bits. Will the exported drum tracks be at 16? I am lost in these transfers and what they mean.
The drum tracks will stay in the 16 bit then. If brought into a 16 bit session in Pro Tools they will remain 16. If it's a 24bit session, the computer will do the math on them and they will be converted to 24bit (however, know that there will be no increase in sound quality...just more zeros in the information)

3) With the 5-6 tracks of G recorded drums now in protools, I will overdub bass, guitar, etc, using the MBox's 2 inputs in 24 bit/16bit. Sounds easy? Am I missing something?

same answer as #2. Whatever your Pro Tools session is set at, that's the bit depth your music will be recorded at in PT. If you want better resolution on the guitars/vocals/bass then record in 24 bit.

Your plan appears to be viable. The Yamaha appears to export in 16 bit 44.1kHz. This is standard CDROM sampling rates. My editor has projects in a certain mode based on settings for the project...other formats have to be imported and resampled. So if my project was set up for 24 bit then the 16 bit wav files would need to be altered to fit in. Pro-tools probably works similarly.

bennychico11 said:
The Yamaha will let you burn data CDs??

Yeah, my drummer has one and it took us a while to figure out but you can use an 'export' function to burn all 16 tracks to a data CD as seperate wav files. This isn't standard with this type of device? I assumed it would be there and hunted it down and finally found it.

nroberts said:
Yeah, my drummer has one and it took us a while to figure out but you can use an 'export' function to burn all 16 tracks to a data CD as seperate wav files. This isn't standard with this type of device? I assumed it would be there and hunted it down and finally found it.

i assume it should be too...my question wasn't out of amazement but rather just asking because I'm not familiar with the unit. I actually never use standalone recorders like that...so I didn't know if the CD burner is for burning just audio CDs or both audio and data.

Back