windows XP professional on my new hard drive...THIS SUCKS! what about 2k drivers?????

czar of bizarre

ok yesterday i went and purchased a 40 gig 7200 rpm hard drive and a 128 stick of ram.i installed the ram yesterday. that placed me at 512mb of ram. so far so good.

so i drop the new hard drive in and i slave it. i partition it into 4 parts. so far so good. on one of the drives i install windows XP professional.............from here it gets bad.

i needed drivers for my UM-2 midi interface and my DIO2448 sound card.i found the drivers for the um-2. i had to go through HELL just to install the thing. all these crazy configurations but i finally got the box to work.

next i search for the sound card drivers. none for xp only 2000 and ME. so i download them both. i install the drivers for 2000 thinking that might work. it showed up and i see the card in the device section.

now here is where it gets tricky. i need to install a program so i could see if everything was working properly. i installed acid 3 pro because i was recently working in it.i installed acid 3 under xp.

here is where CHAOS happens.

i go to acid and i press play. guess what? it plays for 2 seconds and stops. so i tried to sync the midi box and my roland hard disk recorder. they locked up and acid chased the roland. all is well????? HELL NO! i could not make a SPDIF connection with the roland and the sound card.

so i go to acid and i try to make changes.

this is what i do:

i go to OPTIONS an click on the AUDIO tab. i select the windows wave driver and the DIO pops up below it. i make sure that the dio is selected in acid. still no digital connection.

at this point i go into xp and i go to my devices. i disable everything but the dio. that way i wont have conflicts (if i dont disable a certain device in 98 the dio will lock up and freeze the system). still didnt work. so i look at the properties of the dio and it says the device was working properly.

no it isnt. when i looked at the dio properties i saw that certain things were not checked. things like "use this mixer device" "dont use this device for midi" and one more item were not checked. so i made the LOGICAL choice to uncheck and check what i needed to because it was obvious that the sound card wasnt "turned on" basically.

i made my changes. it said the changes were saved and would not take effect until i restarted.....the thing is it didnt give me an option to restart like 98se does. so i restarted it.

when i booted back up i went through the process again. guess what? those things i checked earlier? were back to default. so i do it again and again and again and again. i rebooted like 8 times and it NEVER saved my settings. it also placed a check mark on something in my sound section. now my audio stuff is all screwed up for xp. its telling me i dont have a card at times and it even tells me to use #line what ever the hell it is as my recording/playback source. i even tried the settings i had on 98(which work) on xp. still didnt work........:(

is this a driver issue? or is this windows xp? why cant i save my settings that i made? should i reinstall the dio driver? its on my c drive.

thanx for any help or tips.

czar

ps i wouldnt mind using it if worked........back to 98.......

WOW.......are'nt computers such a Bitch sometimes.....if everything worked well before with your previous OS......then it sounds like something in the new OS.......glad Im not you right now

Sounds like a driver issue to me... Unless you're running a XP Beta... or worse, a XP Beta that was hacked to look like a 2600 final.

I could be wrong... there's just too many variables.

Go to 2000. I'm sure it's drivers are more mature for 2000. save XP for a few months down the road... just keep an eye out for XP drivers, Then decide when you want to switch. As well, there really is no need to go back to 98.

dual boot......

yes i have both os installed on the pc. its a dual boot but damn. this is crazy.......argh!!!!!! i got this xp from my friend. its the full pro version....damn!!!!!!

this SUCKS!!!!!

czar

Yes XP is still new enough that not all manufacturers have XP drivers ready for their hardware or apps yet. You'd be surprised how many people find that out AFTER they install XP

Twist

Re: dual boot......

czar of bizarre said:
yes i have both os installed on the pc. its a dual boot but damn. this is crazy.......argh!!!!!! i got this xp from my friend. its the full pro version....damn!!!!!!

this SUCKS!!!!!

czar

So, basically, you're saying you have an illegal copy of XP? Not the smartest thing to broadcast over the Internet...

As far as the DIO, according to the Midiman website, there appears to be a card that superseeds (sp?) the 2448, the Dio 2496. That card does have XP drivers so my conclusion would be Midiman has stopped support for the 2448 and will most likely discontinue the product in the near future. They're probably just getting rid of the inventory that has already been manufactured

You can't blame a company for discontinuing support for older/obsolete products - it just doen't make any business sense.

Re: Re: dual boot......

brzilian said:
You can't blame a company for discontinuing support for older/obsolete products - it just doen't make any business sense.

I agree... you also can't blame a company because their software has been cracked/hacked and now it doesn't work great. :)

I personally turn a blind eye to pirated software.. Fact is, i don't think there is one of us on this entire BBS that doesn't have at least 1 pirated program.

Hell, even installing a copy of windows98 on 2 computers with the same serial number is technically illegal.

So, basically, you're saying you have an illegal copy of XP? Not the smartest thing to broadcast over the Internet...
who said it was an illegal copy?????? i DID get it from my friend. my friend OWNS a computer store and BUILDS computers. if you would like his number i would be MORE THAN HAPPY to give it to you. :). the only thing i didnt purchase from him regarding my pc was the sound card my new hard drive and a stiCk of ram.

my statement:

was in response to this:

Sounds like a driver issue to me... Unless you're running a XP Beta... or worse, a XP Beta that was hacked to look like a 2600 final.

in no way did i imply that my full version of xp was unlicensed. although i do belive that software should be FREE. the only thing i said was i got it from my friend and it was teh full pro version. i NEVER said he gave it to me for free or it was pirated. so no one is BROADCASTING anything on the net. :) besides "big brother" knows EVERYTHING we do anyway and im sure 99.9% of the people on this bbs have some sort of "illegal" thing going on. i dont care if its HACKED OR CRACKED or if you purchased CACKEWALK and dropped it on TWO machines.

sometimes cracked software is better than the REAL version. like that pro tools free program. when it came out it was 8 audio tracks. now i am told it has 32. all because someone cracked it(this is what i was told)

now as far as the sound card it was purchased just after the release of the 2496. they had drivers for the card but not xp drivers. i dont feel a need to upgrade to another card yet. the card still works fine in 98se.

i agree however how much does it cost to make drivers? many things are obsolete after a month or so. does that mean they should stop support? give the consumer something to look forward to. if not offer the consumer some type of upgrade or incentive option. like:

"HEY IDIOT IF YOU PURCHASED OUR OLD OBSOLETE DIO 6 MONTHS BEFORE WE RELEASED THE 2496 WE HAVE SOMETHING FOR YOU. SEND YOUR UPC CODE,RECEIPT AND SELF ADRESSED BOX AND WE WILL SHIP YOU A COUPON FOR $50 OFF YOUR NEXT PURCHASE"

thats just my opinion. windows xp is EYE CANDY.

98 IS WORKING FINE......

I THINK.......

CZAR

PS. in no way were any comments meant to be offensive to ANYONE on this board. do NOT mind my caps either. i know a considerable(sp???) amount of knowledge is to be found on this board and im no guru like most of you. thats why i asked for help. :) thanx

czar of bizarre said:
sometimes cracked software is better than the REAL version. like that pro tools free program. when it came out it was 8 audio tracks. now i am told it has 32. all because someone cracked it(this is what i was told)

I can saddly agree to that. There are some programs out there that wern't NT compatible, but after a crack, they were. And they worked well. Go figure...

Back