which windows 10

witzendoz

Hi,

I am in the process of building a new studio computer, when quoting I suggested windows 10 pro, but the computer shop suggested windows 10 home would be fine. Is there any reason to use Pro?

This is a off line studio only computer, no internet, no office, only DAW audio.

Opinions

Alan

Hi Alan, I have only one PC on W10, this Lenovo T510 and it came with W10 pro so I cannot say how Home would be different. I do know Pro allows you to defer updates for some time (but you have to have 'em eventually!) and there are som 'compatibilty' modes in Pro that might be useful? But I am just an old rtrd valve jockey! However, if the cost is not too painful I can see no DISadavantage in going for the 'pro' grade version?

"No Internet" you say? Sorry chap, you can't even get ten setup without it nor things like Ableton Live. The net is a must in some form these days I am afraid but you can always disable the wireless network adapter when you work, good idea anyway. At the risk od eggs and grannies?...

Get an i7, an SSD is really a must since W10 expects one. 8G of ram will get you by but 16 is better and if 4k vid is on the cards make sure the MOBO can handle even more. A TB port would be good future proofing but they are rare as yet on PCs.

Unless going for a custom build the machine will come with a 90day malware masher, ditch it and just run Msoft SE, never intrudes and run the free Malwarebytes once a month or when you have had to go online.

No Office? Yes and no. Certainly uninstall MsOffice but then go to 'ninites' and get Open Office, you WILL curse if you can't write stuff!

Aplogies Al' if you knew all this. Oh! And buy "Windows ten for dummies"

Dave.

The no internet thing is

The computer shop are loading it, once loaded that’s it, unless there is an absolute need to update something it does not get updated. Most of 10's updates revolve around virus protection. By the way we are talking about an install with all the crap stuff in 10 not installed, which apparently you can do.

I may have to connect it to the net to install a license for software but again that's it. The software I have now was licensed via another computer, remote license. When I say no internet I suppose I mean very little internet, only the software sites of the software that I use and no internet surfing.

If the price isn’t too much different I may just go for pro, they did think that home may actually be better? Any more opinions?

Alan

The no internet thing is

The computer shop are loading it, once loaded that’s it, unless there is an absolute need to update something it does not get updated. Most of 10's updates revolve around virus protection. By the way we are talking about an install with all the crap stuff in 10 not installed, which apparently you can do.

I may have to connect it to the net to install a license for software but again that's it. The software I have now was licensed via another computer, remote license. When I say no internet I suppose I mean very little internet, only the software sites of the software that I use and no internet surfing.

If the price isn’t too much different I may just go for pro, they did think that home may actually be better? Any more opinions?

Alan

Fairenoughski. Now, NOT to dismiss the talents of many people here at HR it is worth asking at Sound on Sound forum for a different slant on things? If nothing else Pete of Scan Computers gives generously of his time there.

Dave.

I just looked at the differences and I’m not sure you’ll be utilizing any of the features Pro offers if you’re barely going to be using internet.

Yea, Pro is more about some utilities, networking, not 100% sure, but if you are not going to be messing about then I think home should do the trick.

After some more reading and the comments, I think windows 10 home is going to be fine. Now to pick myself up after receiving the quote to build the new computer LOL.

Alan

After some more reading and the comments, I think windows 10 home is going to be fine. Now to pick myself up after receiving the quote to build the new computer LOL.

Alan

I have been looking to replace my old rig, but more as a component swap. New MB, RAM, AMD CPU (I am just an AMD fan) and GPU. Not a screamer, but something that will last 5-10 years (my current one is about that old). Best price I can come up with is $750 for just that, I already have case and power supply. But what I have been looking at are not the low grade components, based on reviews.

(I am just an AMD fan)

I have never worked with Intel processors until this last build. (My first (well, my first after the Commodores) was a Harris 25Mhz 8088.:laughings:) Every computer I've ever owned since was AMD processor. I've owned some NVIDIA gpu's, but this is my first Intel
What's funny is, I went from a 8 core 8200 3.1 MHz Black to a 12 core dual CPU Xeon 3.4MHz setup, and the 8200 was FAR better for recording. I've got two processors instead of one, 12 cores and 24 threads instead of 8 and 16, and twice the memory, and the machine won't play projects without shutting down inputs on the Tascam... Maybe it's Reason 10 that's causing the problem, but I had this thing build with 7 instead of 10 and all the bells and whistles. Wish I'd gone with Ryzen processor. It would have been cheaper.

What's funny is, I went from a 8 core 8200 3.1 MHz Black to a 12 core dual CPU Xeon 3.4MHz setup, and the 8200 was FAR better for recording. I've got two processors instead of one, 12 cores and 24 threads instead of 8 and 16, and twice the memory, and the machine won't play projects without shutting down inputs on the Tascam... Maybe it's Reason 10 that's causing the problem, but I had this thing build with 7 instead of 10 and all the bells and whistles. Wish I'd gone with Ryzen processor. It would have been cheaper.

My previous setup was a 12 core (2x6 X5680) which is pretty old tech these days. It laughed at audio and video duties.
Sounds like something's wrong with your setup, other than the actual hardware.

Going by the date, you might heave already bought the computer but since I've just found this site I'll add this in case you haven't:

The reason I go for Pro over Home is that on Home, when Microsoft decides you need an update, it interrupts you and makes you get it there and then. Extremely inconvenient, especially if you're in the middle of a big recording session.

Now, I'm not sure exactly how this would work if the computer was never connected to a network. It might be a way to avoid the updates or it might still interrupt and pester you to connect.

But with Pro you can pretty much set it do that you have to manually keep Windows up to date on your own schedule.

Even if you're planning on not using the net heavily, it's so useful for things like activating plugins more easily; even looking up chords or something if you're writing or to post on here if you're struggling with a mix.

Hello everyone - I'm using window 10 pro for past 2 years and it runs smoothly on my pc. I think window 10 pro is the best :-)

Back