Win7>Win10

DM60

OK guys, I just tried this. I like Win10. Win7 was good, but time to move for me.
So I purchased a laptop from one of our fellow members and it still had Win7 as he didn't want to go to Win10. It was passed the upgrade time, so I thought OK, it will work but ... I really wanted everything on the same OS level. I was contemplating to purchasing Win10 upgrade or something then I ran across this article:

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Which includes this link:

Download Windows 10

I tried it and now I have my laptop at Win10 and it is activated and everything is working fine.

I post this in case some of you are having second thoughts. You can still upgrade.

Glad you didn't purchase an upgrade license. I, too, thought I was past the free upgrade period until recently. Last month, I upgraded my desktop to Win10 for free, probably based on the advice of the same article. Now I'm comfortable enough with Win10 to not want to kill myself, but I hope they don't put out another o/s any time soon.
:)

I think that the windows license code is either a before upgrade for free or after. So if your win 7 is within a couple of years of the intro of win10 the license should be good for both

I'm not certain there's even an expiration date anymore.

W10 received such a lackluster reception that MS might've gotten slack on it. Not everyone went W10; many W7 didn't even want W10; and a few had it taken off. After all, the CPU still wears a license code for W7 so it's easy to reinstall.

Back in the early 90s, MS did something kinda cool. Realizing that the only thing worse than people copying their software was people simply ignoring their software, they made Excel basically copy-free. They played the long game. So Excel was pirated absolutely everywhere. You could walk into Kinko's and copy it off their computers. (uh..... so i'm told...) After Excel went everywhere, everyone else got squeezed out. Some very good titles that are now no longer around.

I just bring this up because i think they're taking that tack again with W10. They're not gonna give it away. But MS has more than once left the gate unlocked to build user base and from what I've heard, upgrading to W10 might be one of them. They were gonna be strict, but now, I'm told, not so much.

Now I'm comfortable enough with Win10 to not want to kill myself, but I hope they don't put out another o/s any time soon.

Well...with that kind of view...I'm quick running now to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10!!!

NOT! :p

I've got three laptops, two I use...well, one I use, the second is like a mirrored backup...and the third one is just sitting around completely unused. I turn it on occasionally just to let it update with A/V patches and whatnot...but maybe it's going to be my sacrificial lamb for a Win 10 upgrade.
All three of these were set up just under 2 years ago, Nov/Dec 2017...so that was the first time the Win 7 licenses were registered with MS.
I guess I should have at least one running Win 10...and then when I get "comfortable enough with Win10 to not want to kill myself"...I'll consider moving the other two. :D

My DAW system however will remain Win 7 indefinitely...and also offline, permanently. :)

I have two laptops and one desktop all running Win 7 still. One of the laptops and the desktop are licensed for 10 for sure(the desktop came with 7 installed and a disk with 10 so i don't even need to download a copy) and the third probably would take it but i ain't budging from 7 unless i absolutely have to!

Glad you didn't purchase an upgrade license. I, too, thought I was past the free upgrade period until recently.

Well, the first half of the story was I did upgrade to Win10 during the free period, but I hated it so much I went back to Win7. Cortana, whatta joke.... :laughings:

Then I thought I was past the free upgrade period, until recently.

For my day gig, I provide tech support for my company's products and all my customers are mandated to go to Win10 for IT security. I spend a lot of time remoting into customer PCs and I got used to Win10 so now it's not so bad. I don't see any real performance or functional improvement over Win7, it just looks different. In fact, I have noticed a performance degradation with some of our imaging products. Win7 seems to handle the higher data streams better than Win10.

Outside of the security updates, there's no real reason to go to Win10, but end of the year, MS stops security updates on Win7.

I don't understand the fear of Win10. It's a great OS. Fast, stable, feature-rich...I've been using it happily for years on several different computers. All I've done is disable Cortana. It's been a reliable platform for media creation for me. And it's been a reliable platform for my development job, and for gaming, and for casual web surfing, and everything else I've asked it to do.

Win7 was a great OS, but it's days are over. I just don't get the attachment to it now that it's reached the end-of-life phase of its existence.

Win10 runs audio just fine. It had some various issues in the beginning.......just like Win7 did......but two things happened over time. The OS got better and worked out a few "bugs". And.....people have learned by using it.

I don't understand the fear of Win10. It's a great OS. Fast, stable, feature-rich...I've been using it happily for years on several different computers. All I've done is disable Cortana. It's been a reliable platform for media creation for me. And it's been a reliable platform for my development job, and for gaming, and for casual web surfing, and everything else I've asked it to do.

Win7 was a great OS, but it's days are over. I just don't get the attachment to it now that it's reached the end-of-life phase of its existence.

No fear here either. I use at work. I don't like the GUI. I dont like the operations in re phone app style setup. I dont like the multiple layers it takes to get to the heart of system stuff i always change. I dont like the fact that if you are not on Pro with the latest update that you have to constantly turn off updates. I dont like the new web browser Edge. I dont like the fact that whenever it does update that you have to go back and check all your settings as it automatically resets everything to MS default.

IOW, i dont like a piece of software that has the cheek to think it knows better that i do as to how my system should be set up.

It's not about "fear" of Win 10...and AFA the attachment to Win 7....see below.

No fear here either. I use at work. I don't like the GUI. I dont like the operations in re phone app style setup. I dont like the multiple layers it takes to get to the heart of system stuff i always change. I dont like the fact that if you are not on Pro with the latest update that you have to constantly turn off updates. I dont like the new web browser Edge. I dont like the fact that whenever it does update that you have to go back and check all your settings as it automatically resets everything to MS default.

IOW, i dont like a piece of software that has the cheek to think it knows better that i do as to how my system should be set up.

All those things are better executed on Win 7, with few exceptions.
Win 10 was designed more like a smartphone app...and if that's how you like your computer OS, great...but as someone who spent a good deal of time in IT work...I watched the hate for certain MS operating systems over they years, and it was all warranted.
From Windows ME...to Vista...to Win 8...and to Win 10...but even before that in some cases...and my usage goes all the way back to 3.0/3.1.
People generally didn't like those, including Win10, which most people got hooked on because it was free.

I leaned more toward the Business/Enterprise OS systems once we get past Win 95...first NT, then 2000...then I switched XP Pro...and finally to 7...and because I was doing IT, I could avoid being forced to use the stuff that was pushed out to the majority of end-users, who were stuck with having to upgrade to whatever was the next thing.
While everyone switched to Vista...I simple ignored it, and stayed with XP...even up to the point when we were pushing out Win7 and 8...I was still on XP. :)
The one day I had to get off XP at work because it was being blocked on the network. :p
With my DAWs...XP was great, but I wanted to move to 64 bit, and while there was a XP 64 bit version, it was total dog...so I finally switched to Win 7 a few years back, but now I'm comfortable with it, though I still get annoyed even by Win7 at times, like when simply trying to search for a file or open a folder of files...it just takes so much longer, regardless that the files are indexed. XP would pop folder open instantly...Win 7 seems to always need to re-index or whatever it's doing. Other than that though, the Win 7 GUI is pretty comfortable, like XP. Win 8 was/is annoying...and I find that 10 is no better.

I may still drop 10 on my spare laptop, just to mess with it...but I'm curious what MS plans to do for the next version, though I suspect it will be very 10-like, because again, they want to merge the smartphone app world into the PC world...which is kinda annoying...rather than letting users have a choice.

I agree with you about the file structure. I hated when Mac went to the "library" system when Mac debuted it in OSX version 1 and i dont care for it in Win 7 either. Another case of mother knows best software in my opinion. Pfaugh.

I'm trying to understand what this means.
Over?
Not on mine. Not until I say it is.

MS says it's over? Okay, no problem. I've been abandoned by MS before and never lost sleep. Suits me.

The sole reason I moved out of XP (still their best, IMO) was because of memory capacities and no one made a hi-performance motherboard, anymore. Or maybe they do, i just haven't checked in awhile. But i still have an XP box i use from time-to-time. Still 32bit.

And maybe they won't make what i want for W7... someday. Maybe when the new 128bit processors come out? Uh...

I've watched decades of irrational FOMO over operating systems as fanboys of every stripe had to jump on the Newest Thing, Mac and PC alike. I watched in disbelief because I never cared about opsys to begin with. The apps are all that matter, regardless of where they were launched.

Now, it seems as though more people have matured past the old days and only care what their computer will *do* and have about had it with reprocessed window dressing. MS is in a bad way when the customers start demanding an actual benefit for an upgrade.

And I recently converted my archive box and a laptop to Linux Mint. That's gonna work nicely.

In my desktop box I have two SSDs, one with XP which I am still running, and the other with W10. I can unplug one and plug in the other to change systems, and I do so every now and again in the course of weaning myself off XP and onto W10. It's not something I enjoy doing, because I've got so much audio stuff (and other programs) embedded in my system that I have to recreate in W10.

Fortunately and critically, I've got the interfaces going nicely in W10, which is the main thing. W10 boots up in a fraction of the time that XP does, and for me seems to be quite stable.

However, I'm still finding it difficult to make the final leap and abandon XP altogether.

In the more "modern" OS's all data files that are not a "program" are tagged with "library" handles so they can be stuck anywhere on a disk drive while still being associated with a particular program thus offering non power users the ability to maximize hard drive usage without doing any hard drive maintenance like defragging, etc. Which is good for most folks but i much prefer the old skool method where i got to pick and choose exactly where each file was located.The "User" paradigm was part of this change also as each library can be associated with a particular user or "public" which added the "permissions" level of file managing.

Heres a mac example: prior to OSX all the cd's that i ripped to my hard drive were where i put them. Once OSX and Itunes came along the OS automatically takes any mp3/4/wav/flac file and gives it an itunes tag and makes a copy of it in a another place on the hard drive and might be tagged to a particular user or public or both with a proliferation of duplicate files going to the hard drive because the OS is deciding whats best for you.

Another Mac:I use Pro Tools and have since PT5 back in 99 or so. When i upgraded to PT6 on OSXv1 i would open sessions and audio files would be missing and i couldn't find them because the OS had decided where to put them or they were tagged wrong somehow. After fighting it for a month or two i gave up and moved my g4 back to OS9 and PT5 and it still functions perfectly.

Windows example: if you have any kind of sync enabled and you move files from one computer to another on removable media windows will randomly copy stuff in unexpected places and if you put something where you want it you have to link it to a library for a program to even find it: re i have the Amazon music app that i was forced to add to download mp3's i had purchased on amazon and at first the app would only place the mp3 files in its own Amazon folder that Windows media player wouldn't recognize until i associated those files with WMP and changed the permissions so that the files in the Amazon folder could be "shared" with WMP and if i copy some of them mp3s to removable media to transfer to another computer and put the media back in the first computer it will add them to WMP again since the permissions were already set to share. Thus WMP will show multple instances of the same song even though they are in muitiple places. When i sync them to my phone it does them same thing-it will copy stuff off the phone that's already on the hard drive. Of course thats not a big problem , it's just a lot of little annoying things that come along with Library, User, Permissions paradigm.

Thanks for that. :)
I don't use iTunes but I know you can choose whether it moves imported audio into its own folders, or replies on the files remaining where ever you had them.
Protools? I don't know what that was^. I've never had an issue.

That said you're talking about an 18 year old OS so I guess a lot's changed.

Back