Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Win7>Win10

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I think there is a degree of scaremongering here about W10?

I have only used it for about a week in its earliest incarnation when I bought my son a Lenovo i5 t430. Did not like the OS at all but it really gave me no trouble and, 12 months down the line a very PC ignorant, musical son is still happy with it in France.

Pete Kaine of the Scan computer Co contributes regularly on the Sound on Sound forum and does not slate W10 in fact he and other top PC guys rate it as the best OS Ms have produced to date. Yes, some operational quirks we don't care for but the basic "engine" is the best so far.

I am retiring this i3 HP laptop from the net to keep it W7 becuse I have a lot of music related software on it and I doubt the migration to W10 would be a happy one. I am looking for a refurbed i5 laptop but MUST be a 15.6" screen. Bit like rocking horse dropping them! I also want an SSD because I am reliably informed that W10 expects one and performs less well with mechanicals.

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    and a win10 that is going to become linux real soon now.
    Which distro are you going for?
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I think there is a degree of scaremongering here about W10?

I have only used it for about a week in its earliest incarnation when I bought my son a Lenovo i5 t430. Did not like the OS at all but it really gave me no trouble and, 12 months down the line a very PC ignorant, musical son is still happy with it in France.

Pete Kaine of the Scan computer Co contributes regularly on the Sound on Sound forum and does not slate W10 in fact he and other top PC guys rate it as the best OS Ms have produced to date. Yes, some operational quirks we don't care for but the basic "engine" is the best so far.

I am retiring this i3 HP laptop from the net to keep it W7 becuse I have a lot of music related software on it and I doubt the migration to W10 would be a happy one. I am looking for a refurbed i5 laptop but MUST be a 15.6" screen. Bit like rocking horse dropping them! I also want an SSD because I am reliably informed that W10 expects one and performs less well with mechanicals.

Dave.
    If you got it recently, and not any of the early versions, and if you use it only for social media access, then it win10 wont look bad.

But if you got forked by an early version, and had trouble with audio till you fixed all the bad defaults and other problems in win10 and if you hate relearning the UI every couple of years then you would HATE win10 like I do.

---------- Update ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    I am looking at ubuntu although there are others that might be better for certain uses that I will try after I get comfortable with linux.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    I am looking at ubuntu to start. I may try others later after I am more comfortable with using linux and the ubuntu distro.

Thanks
    If you got it recently, and not any of the early versions, and if you use it only for social media access, then it win10 wont look bad.

But if you got forked by an early version, and had trouble with audio till you fixed all the bad defaults and other problems in win10 and if you hate relearning the UI every couple of years then you would HATE win10 like I do.
    That's funny, and contradictory to my own experiences. I was an early adopter, and I've used Windows 10 for my audio computer since shortly after its release. I don't have any issues with audio on it. I don't do any special "audio optimization" with my Win10 installs, I just run it stock. I've run a bunch of different audio interfaces from several of the major brands on Win10 without issues, across 3 different machines (2 desktops running Pro and a laptop running Home). It's been the same with all of them: install drivers, configure ASIO and I'm off to the races. No hitches, no glitches...just install and make music.

Thanks
    I'm with you Tadpul. I've got Win10 on two machines. The one with my recording interface came natively with 10. I do my video editing and some of my audio editing on this one because its the fastest. My other is an eight year old Dell Phenon X6 system that started life as Win7. I upgraded to Win 10 several years ago when MS was doing the free upgrades. Everything went fine. Its still running. The only issue I've had with that computer was when the main HD started to go. No problems restoring, and its still going today. I do a fair amount of mixing on it with Reaper. I don't use it to record since its in the dining room with no place to set up instruments.

I've played with Linux for a long time (still have a set of Caldera Linux discs from 20 years ago.) Linux is fine if it has the programs you want to run, but most of the ones I use happen to be Windows based programs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    I've played with Linux for a long time (still have a set of Caldera Linux discs from 20 years ago.) Linux is fine if it has the programs you want to run, but most of the ones I use happen to be Windows based programs.
    Have you looked at Reaper on linux yet?
    I fired it up on a RPi last week. Only did basic testing but I couldn't believe how responsive it was.
    Tempted to do a session on there to see just how far it goes.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Steen,

I haven't tried the Linux version because the only computer that I have Linux on is WAY too slow to run anything. I don't want to putz the Win10 machine by fooling with a dual boot, plus I have my PowerDirector software on there. The other Win10 machine has all my email/financial/OpenOffice, etc. Plus i use it for a lot of my browsing.

I like the way Cyberlink's video editing works, and like Reaper, it didn't cost an arm and a leg! I didn't like Corel's workflow, and had lots of issues with Nero. Adobe might be really great but I'm not spending $250+ for it. Luckily I got in at PD 15, before they (and everyone else) started going to the annual subscription model. I'm not a fan of doing everything in the cloud.

Until I bought the Dell about 8 years ago, I had built every PC from scratch starting with my 386SX system. I could build a system for less money and get more performance then. It got to the point where it was just as cheap and a lot easier to buy a prebuilt system. Instead of buying computer parts, now I spend the money on mics, guitars, amps, recording equipment etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    That's funny, and contradictory to my own experiences. I was an early adopter, and I've used Windows 10 for my audio computer since shortly after its release. I don't have any issues with audio on it. I don't do any special "audio optimization" with my Win10 installs, I just run it stock. I've run a bunch of different audio interfaces from several of the major brands on Win10 without issues, across 3 different machines (2 desktops running Pro and a laptop running Home). It's been the same with all of them: install drivers, configure ASIO and I'm off to the races. No hitches, no glitches...just install and make music.
    It does depend on which PC you got from which manufacturer. They all tailor and tweak win as they see fit.

Thanks
    It does depend on which PC you got from which manufacturer. They all tailor and tweak win as they see fit.
    You are such an expert on Windows. I'm starting to think you work for Microsoft.

Thread Information