Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Win7>Win10

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I liked XP and one thing about it that W7 does not seem to do and it drives me mad is, you cannot arrange files, e.g. downloads in "last in at the top". The bloody things go alpha-numeric and I often struggle to find stuff.

Dave.
    Hey Dave, I think you can. I have my download folder set to last download listed first. Change the View to "Details", then sort by Date Modified. Unless you're referring to something completely different and I'm barking up the wrong tree. (Which is a good probability )

Thanks
    It works the same way in Win7 and Win10. I set my folders to Detail view. Clicking Date twice toggles from First In to Last In at the top. Click any of the headers and you sort based on that header, name, File type, Size, Date, etc.

Sort Folder.jpg

One thing that I do on both is set my Desktop to Classic View. It gets rid of the tile appearance and makes it look like XP/2000 with only minor differences like the task bar. I never liked the tablet view.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Cheers chaps, will give that a do the morrow.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    DOS was good. I miss it. Now we have linux.
    Linux is the DOS of the 21st Century.
    All the command stuff and so very much more. And just like those olden days, Linux is maturing at an astonishing rate. Now would certainly be the time to get on board.

I'm no expert Graphics Designer, but I know more than a few ex-Photoshop and Illustrator drivers. GIMP (the Linux app) is everything to them, now. Just like music apps, there are free plugs and paid plugs. But everything can be customized. Menus. Layouts. Etc. And no licensing or unstable versions. If you check out GIMP they will, to a user, ask "what do you want to DO?"

All my Windows apps are several years old. I backed out of Word/Excel at 2016 and went back a version or two (2009?) but still miss 2003.

Pro Tools isn't going Linux anytime soon, I don't think. But music-wise, I think the best is yet to come in the Linux world and when we apply that same question to recording/producing -- "what do you want to DO?" -- Microsoft is gonna soon be a distant memory in some studio. Just my worthless prediction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponder5 View Post
    Linux is the DOS of the 21st Century.
    All the command stuff and so very much more. And just like those olden days, Linux is maturing at an astonishing rate. Now would certainly be the time to get on board.

I'm no expert Graphics Designer, but I know more than a few ex-Photoshop and Illustrator drivers. GIMP (the Linux app) is everything to them, now. Just like music apps, there are free plugs and paid plugs. But everything can be customized. Menus. Layouts. Etc. And no licensing or unstable versions. If you check out GIMP they will, to a user, ask "what do you want to DO?"

All my Windows apps are several years old. I backed out of Word/Excel at 2016 and went back a version or two (2009?) but still miss 2003.

Pro Tools isn't going Linux anytime soon, I don't think. But music-wise, I think the best is yet to come in the Linux world and when we apply that same question to recording/producing -- "what do you want to DO?" -- Microsoft is gonna soon be a distant memory in some studio. Just my worthless prediction.

I cant see any point to PT. it is only popular because they used the word PRO and is also okay. There are certainly other programs that are cheaper and arguably better and certainly as good as PT.

Thanks
    I've been nervous to go from 7 to 10... since 7 is working and my computer is 10 years old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BDJohnston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's fine as long as you're backed up and won't lose any material if your computer fails. And it will......sooner or later.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    To be fair, so will a brand new one running W10.

Which, BTW, a "computer" doesn't fail. That's what the insulated user thinks.
    Disc drives will fail.
    RAM can fail.
    Motherboards fail.
    Power supplies fail.
    Any and all of these can fail (especially the hard drives) and can be replaced in minutes and the computer is up and running again. No differently than if your car has an alternator that fails: it's far from a total loss.

There are lots and lots of backup schemes and they all work. My favorite is simply a cold drive, but to each his own. And that's just good practice for anyone on any system of any age.

Thanks
    An old saying in computer circles, "There are two types of hard drives, those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BDJohnston View Post
    I've been nervous to go from 7 to 10... since 7 is working and my computer is 10 years old.
    Why go at all? win 10 is a POS and worse for audio.
    win 10 is a social media toy that microcrap controls and makes it too hard for us to do what we want to do or need to do.

I still use XPprosp3.

And i still use win 98se.

to be fair i do have a win8 i use rarely.
    and a win10 that is going to become linux real soon now.

---------- Update ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    That's fine as long as you're backed up and won't lose any material if your computer fails. And it will......sooner or later.
    win 10 will fail just as much as his old win7 box.

but win 10 will cause you so many other problems that he does not have with 7 or has already fixed.

Thread Information