Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Win7>Win10

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Thanks for that.
    I don't use iTunes but I know you can choose whether it moves imported audio into its own folders, or replies on the files remaining where ever you had them.
    Protools? I don't know what that was^. I've never had an issue.

That said you're talking about an 18 year old OS so I guess a lot's changed.
    The PT issues were only with the first versions of OSX and PT6 and the problems were because i didn't (at the time) understand the new OS. OS9 was just so easy to use compared to windows 98 which i was used to also.

I have a G5 with the latest OS that it supports and i was fine with it and PT8, but in toto I still don't like the hierarchy architecture and IMHO it makes more issues for dev's to get software that just works like it used to in the bad ol Motorola days. I am just talking personal exp here but i will say one of the engineering principals i learned as a kid was the more complicate something is, the more there is to fail/go wrong.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 902 Posts
    It's interesting to hear experiences and opinions from so far back.
    My first experience with MacOS was 10.4.8.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 902 Posts
    on a dell.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    The way you hype and push win10.
    Makes me think microcrap is paying you to do it
    Soooo, you read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Now I'm comfortable enough with Win10 to not want to kill myself, but I hope they don't put out another o/s any time soon.
    and you think Hype and Push.

Yeah, I like them coke bottle glasses you wear. Makes you look more.... dignified.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    I agree with you about the file structure. I hated when Mac went to the "library" system when Mac debuted it in OSX version 1 and i dont care for it in Win 7 either. Another case of mother knows best software in my opinion. Pfaugh.
    Then it's not just me.
    I couldn't, and still can't understand what MS thought that was better...?
    It's so friggin tedious at times...like watching paint dry...or if you go to view installed programs/updates, OMG...that little green bar takes forever to get to the end, and until it does, you just have sit there. There is no easy/fast way to get what you want.
    It makes no sense why they thought it was an improvement and that they actually like that...how it would take so long to open some things.

---------- Update ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Soooo, you read this:

and you think Hype and Push.

Yeah, I like them coke bottle glasses you wear. Makes you look more.... dignified.

Thanks
    ROTFLMAO

win 10 is so much worse than win 7; and 8 too which is also worse than 7

our church went back to seven from a newer win opsys because of the problems

They forced the upgrade to 10 into my 8 and I went right back to 8 when I saw how bad win10 was
    Hey man, I say go for it. But to me, and I have been doing this a long time (DOS3.1, yea it was the latest and greatest!), Win10 is a solid piece of software. Now do they, can they, track you? Yes they can! And they will (see cell phone if you want to be paranoid). But if you look, and research, ask, those geeks give you an out (MS dudes). You have to be a geek to find the door.

It has always been that way since the internet 93? Compuserve was my access point, plus I was downloading from BBS. (Only as reference to how long)

Moral of the story here is, Windows was made for Geeks by Geeks. Apple use to be that way, but Jobs decided no, cause he was not a geek. But the other guy (Steve Wozniak) was, and he exited.

So, don't upgrade, the OS will run forever. But, Win10 is a good OS.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    I call it OS for Granma. I work with people who cant figure out basic keyboard shortcuts and cant operate without a mouse fer gossake. I figure all new systems are designed for people like that and of course to cover dev's legal rights and prevent lawsuits and less about letting users do what they want.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    No FEAR. just pure HATE.

Not learning yet another bleeping UI for an opsys that is yet harder to use than the previous one.

Converting my win10 box to linux and microcrap can bleep themselves.
    Linux is a hard OS. You have to know your shit to use that OS. That is a pure Geek OS.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    I call it OS for Granma. I work with people who cant figure out basic keyboard shortcuts and cant operate without a mouse fer gossake. I figure all new systems are designed for people like that and of course to cover dev's legal rights and prevent lawsuits and less about letting users do what they want.

Yeah...I hate when they design stuff with the assumption that all end users are either too stupid or too lazy to figure out stuff...so they dummy proof it and make the decisions for you, or they design it so the software leads you in a specific direction that they thought was best.

That said...in my IT job there were end users who I dealt with for over 10 years, and they were just as computer ignorant at the end of the 10 years as the first day I dealt with them. I mean...people wouldn't know how to do the most basic stuff, and I would make a point of explaining it and showing them all the steps, making them do everything...but they all just wanted me to do it for them. They simply didn't want to learn.
    Those are the people Win 10 was designed for primarily...and in designing it, they made it harder for those of use who know how get around and like to learn where things are at. It's like they had to hide the tools to prevent to dummies from accidentally finding and using them.

Thanks
    TL; DR - i like linux.

Long ago, I worked with bleary-eyed men who would stay up until 2 a.m. many nights getting their PCs to work right.

.bat files. .irq settings. A new disc drive was a multi-night event. But boy were they proud of themselves when it worked.

After MSDOS, I would snicker at musicians trying to milk down a Roland MIDI card (431?) - the only one available for PC - trying to get it to work with their behemoth desktop machine.

I would snicker because of my little lunchbox 512 Macintosh. Except I made music and lots of it because with a single cable to a MIDI interface, I could control dozens of synths (though I had started with only two).
    No fuss, no muss.

After some years on Mac up to OS9, no one came remotely close. Good times. But Mac, as Apple does, abandoned their user base for something they thought was cooler. Back then it was serial ports; today it's ports at all. I still nurse a G4, but i'm done with Mac though i play live with an iPad.

Linux became popular, I'm absolutely certain, because all those masochists missed those late nights of file-fishing looking for just that one character that made the whole thing work. It does seem to draw out that type, and good for us all that it does.

But like Windows, oddly, the later distributions of Linux have ironed-out countless quirks and problems that once existed. It's easy to just install it and run the apps you want.

So a transition is pretty simple and easy. It really is. And the freedom is priceless. Asking your computer what it is you want it to *do* is the question. With Linux, you can do most things and everything most people use a computer for.

And you can do it well. Not every app in the world, but it's always growing. They've even developed WINE which is a Windows replacement (it's not an emulator!) for running Windows programs.

Sure, a guy can put on the Geek hat and dig deep and some guys love that. ho-hum. Maybe later. You just don't have to. Not at all.

Full disclosure: Despite 2 machines installed, I'm not making music on Linux yet. My archive (22Tb) is managed from my Linux box and my Linux Laptop will soon replace this one. Reaper on a music box is my next step. Lovely program that will probably supplant all my old OS9 work over time. I may try to get Cubase or a similar title to run inside of WINE but maybe not dick with it, either.

I don't have a "pro studio" to run, anymore. Those days are over. I get called into other people's studios. So just for me, i like the feeling of just oozing away from MS and being part of a really smart community of computer folks.

As cheap as computers are, these days, I'd highly recommend anyone taking a $10 garage-sale computer and installing Linux just for the experience. Don't believe the rumors and reputations of 5 or 10 year old Linux tales. It'll breathe new life into an old computer and, if you're like me, might end up being your new favorite approach to computing.

Thread Information