Win7>Win10

We need to be careful with numbering. opsys #, version #, build # , yada yada

Well, uh, actually I don't have to because I don't exspecially care.

Just thought it was a fun fact, or not, and worthy of a little conversation, kinda.

A bit like the Pentiums. >25 years ago, during the day of 486(SX!) I saw EE Magazine board layouts for 686 and 786 chips. But they apparently stopped name increment at Pentium (586). Doesn't really matter. Just a curiosity.

Any operating system is a huge collection of discrete components. I'm sure that if you dug around, you could associate just about any version number to Windows, depending on which lines you draw. The underlying components don't necessarily age at the same rate as the marketed product name. It's been incremental improvements on the same kernel since they left Windows 3.1 in the early 1990s, and the release versions don't really have much to do with the Windows versions. Although they did skip from major revision 6 to 10 for Windows 10. That's annoying to a developer :)

As far as release versions, Wikipedia has a pretty clear layout of all of them from over the years, and how they map to Windows versions.

List of Microsoft Windows versions - Wikipedia

Not far fetched.

Internal number of the base opsys is not the number/name they slap on the thing for sales purposes.

3 may have been 3 but after that from 95 on through 98 98se xp vista 7 8 10 (what happened to 9?) they only increased to 6 internally

I suspect that 95 98 98se were all 4
and xp vista and 7 were 5
then 8 and 10 were builds of baseline 6.

Found this on a super geek site for win internals folks a few years ago

believe it or dont!

Sure. That makes sense. But it's not what you seemed to imply when you said: "win 10 is actually version six if you dig in and look at what the software says." You made no mention of baselines or internal numbers, so someone who doesn't know about these (like me) would think you were saying that W10 was really W6.

I can't see how the fact that W10 is maybe a build of baseline 6 is relevant to the topic. Maybe just a matter of curiosity or a kind of dig at Microsoft, like, it's not really 10, it's only 6.

I LOVED DOS. I was great at the command line stuff. I think I started at version 2.1 or something like that. But, DOS sure couldn't do what computers do now.

I also agree that the internal numbers of the versions of Windows might be different than the marketing numbers MS puts on them. First was 3.0 and it ran under DOS. Then came 3.1 and it ran under DOS, too. The first version to be an independent OS was 95. It came out in 1995 and was the first 9X OS.

It makes you wonder where version 1.0 was or 2.0. Win 2000 came out in 2000 and XP came out in 2001. They were more marketing names than anything.

Some of my audio drivers have suffered with the newer OS versions. XP is the last one that works for me, and it really sucks, compared to the driver with 95. But, it's still stable.

Microsoft has never been a reverse compatible company. Even their other software would be totally different, when it came out and you had to almost learn it all over again, because things were in different spots. but, I've noticed the same thing with Adobe. I'm a Photoshop user (well, I haven't gone to the online version and never will) and it would always put things in different spots so you'd have to learn the new versions all over again. I HATED that.

But, with MS Word, for instance, you had to keep upgrading, or your version would no longer work. You could get a patch that would allow you to read the newer versions, but that was it. You couldn't edit them. I got all sorts of people sending me newer files than I could even read and it got to the point I just threw in the towel and went to Open Office.

I LOVED DOS. I was great at the command line stuff. I think I started at version 2.1 or something like that. But, DOS sure couldn't do what computers do now.

I also agree that the internal numbers of the versions of Windows might be different than the marketing numbers MS puts on them. First was 3.0 and it ran under DOS. Then came 3.1 and it ran under DOS, too. The first version to be an independent OS was 95. It came out in 1995 and was the first 9X OS.

It makes you wonder where version 1.0 was or 2.0. Win 2000 came out in 2000 and XP came out in 2001. They were more marketing names than anything.

Some of my audio drivers have suffered with the newer OS versions. XP is the last one that works for me, and it really sucks, compared to the driver with 95. But, it's still stable.

Microsoft has never been a reverse compatible company. Even their other software would be totally different, when it came out and you had to almost learn it all over again, because things were in different spots. but, I've noticed the same thing with Adobe. I'm a Photoshop user (well, I haven't gone to the online version and never will) and it would always put things in different spots so you'd have to learn the new versions all over again. I HATED that.

But, with MS Word, for instance, you had to keep upgrading, or your version would no longer work. You could get a patch that would allow you to read the newer versions, but that was it. You couldn't edit them. I got all sorts of people sending me newer files than I could even read and it got to the point I just threw in the towel and went to Open Office.

NOW then Sir! My best mate (died saddly at 55 H.a.) had a small computer/electronics repair business for a while and he gave me Office 2007. It installed on XP, W7 and Vista. I don't get asked for a reg code or sod all! I have no idea if it will work on W10.

I liked XP and one thing about it that W7 does not seem to do and it drives me mad is, you cannot arrange files, e.g. downloads in "last in at the top". The bloody things go alpha-numeric and I often struggle to find stuff.

Dave.

I liked XP and one thing about it that W7 does not seem to do and it drives me mad is, you cannot arrange files, e.g. downloads in "last in at the top". The bloody things go alpha-numeric and I often struggle to find stuff.

Dave.

Hey Dave, I think you can. I have my download folder set to last download listed first. Change the View to "Details", then sort by Date Modified. Unless you're referring to something completely different and I'm barking up the wrong tree. (Which is a good probability :rolleyes::rolleyes:)

It works the same way in Win7 and Win10. I set my folders to Detail view. Clicking Date twice toggles from First In to Last In at the top. Click any of the headers and you sort based on that header, name, File type, Size, Date, etc.

Sort Folder.jpg

One thing that I do on both is set my Desktop to Classic View. It gets rid of the tile appearance and makes it look like XP/2000 with only minor differences like the task bar. I never liked the tablet view.

DOS was good. I miss it. Now we have linux.

Linux is the DOS of the 21st Century.
All the command stuff and so very much more. And just like those olden days, Linux is maturing at an astonishing rate. Now would certainly be the time to get on board.

I'm no expert Graphics Designer, but I know more than a few ex-Photoshop and Illustrator drivers. GIMP (the Linux app) is everything to them, now. Just like music apps, there are free plugs and paid plugs. But everything can be customized. Menus. Layouts. Etc. And no licensing or unstable versions. If you check out GIMP they will, to a user, ask "what do you want to DO?"

All my Windows apps are several years old. I backed out of Word/Excel at 2016 and went back a version or two (2009?) but still miss 2003.

Pro Tools isn't going Linux anytime soon, I don't think. But music-wise, I think the best is yet to come in the Linux world and when we apply that same question to recording/producing -- "what do you want to DO?" -- Microsoft is gonna soon be a distant memory in some studio. Just my worthless prediction.

That's fine as long as you're backed up and won't lose any material if your computer fails. And it will......sooner or later.

To be fair, so will a brand new one running W10.

Which, BTW, a "computer" doesn't fail. That's what the insulated user thinks.
Disc drives will fail.
RAM can fail.
Motherboards fail.
Power supplies fail.
Any and all of these can fail (especially the hard drives) and can be replaced in minutes and the computer is up and running again. No differently than if your car has an alternator that fails: it's far from a total loss.

There are lots and lots of backup schemes and they all work. My favorite is simply a cold drive, but to each his own. And that's just good practice for anyone on any system of any age.

An old saying in computer circles, "There are two types of hard drives, those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash."

I think there is a degree of scaremongering here about W10?

I have only used it for about a week in its earliest incarnation when I bought my son a Lenovo i5 t430. Did not like the OS at all but it really gave me no trouble and, 12 months down the line a very PC ignorant, musical son is still happy with it in France.

Pete Kaine of the Scan computer Co contributes regularly on the Sound on Sound forum and does not slate W10 in fact he and other top PC guys rate it as the best OS Ms have produced to date. Yes, some operational quirks we don't care for but the basic "engine" is the best so far.

I am retiring this i3 HP laptop from the net to keep it W7 becuse I have a lot of music related software on it and I doubt the migration to W10 would be a happy one. I am looking for a refurbed i5 laptop but MUST be a 15.6" screen. Bit like rocking horse dropping them! I also want an SSD because I am reliably informed that W10 expects one and performs less well with mechanicals.

Dave.

If you got it recently, and not any of the early versions, and if you use it only for social media access, then it win10 wont look bad.

But if you got forked by an early version, and had trouble with audio till you fixed all the bad defaults and other problems in win10 and if you hate relearning the UI every couple of years then you would HATE win10 like I do.

That's funny, and contradictory to my own experiences. I was an early adopter, and I've used Windows 10 for my audio computer since shortly after its release. I don't have any issues with audio on it. I don't do any special "audio optimization" with my Win10 installs, I just run it stock. I've run a bunch of different audio interfaces from several of the major brands on Win10 without issues, across 3 different machines (2 desktops running Pro and a laptop running Home). It's been the same with all of them: install drivers, configure ASIO and I'm off to the races. No hitches, no glitches...just install and make music.

I'm with you Tadpul. I've got Win10 on two machines. The one with my recording interface came natively with 10. I do my video editing and some of my audio editing on this one because its the fastest. My other is an eight year old Dell Phenon X6 system that started life as Win7. I upgraded to Win 10 several years ago when MS was doing the free upgrades. Everything went fine. Its still running. The only issue I've had with that computer was when the main HD started to go. No problems restoring, and its still going today. I do a fair amount of mixing on it with Reaper. I don't use it to record since its in the dining room with no place to set up instruments.

I've played with Linux for a long time (still have a set of Caldera Linux discs from 20 years ago.) Linux is fine if it has the programs you want to run, but most of the ones I use happen to be Windows based programs.

I've played with Linux for a long time (still have a set of Caldera Linux discs from 20 years ago.) Linux is fine if it has the programs you want to run, but most of the ones I use happen to be Windows based programs.

Have you looked at Reaper on linux yet?
I fired it up on a RPi last week. Only did basic testing but I couldn't believe how responsive it was.
Tempted to do a session on there to see just how far it goes.

Steen,

I haven't tried the Linux version because the only computer that I have Linux on is WAY too slow to run anything. I don't want to putz the Win10 machine by fooling with a dual boot, plus I have my PowerDirector software on there. The other Win10 machine has all my email/financial/OpenOffice, etc. Plus i use it for a lot of my browsing.

I like the way Cyberlink's video editing works, and like Reaper, it didn't cost an arm and a leg! I didn't like Corel's workflow, and had lots of issues with Nero. Adobe might be really great but I'm not spending $250+ for it. Luckily I got in at PD 15, before they (and everyone else) started going to the annual subscription model. I'm not a fan of doing everything in the cloud.

Until I bought the Dell about 8 years ago, I had built every PC from scratch starting with my 386SX system. I could build a system for less money and get more performance then. It got to the point where it was just as cheap and a lot easier to buy a prebuilt system. Instead of buying computer parts, now I spend the money on mics, guitars, amps, recording equipment etc.

Back