Win7>Win10

Thanks for that. :)
I don't use iTunes but I know you can choose whether it moves imported audio into its own folders, or replies on the files remaining where ever you had them.
Protools? I don't know what that was^. I've never had an issue.

That said you're talking about an 18 year old OS so I guess a lot's changed.

The PT issues were only with the first versions of OSX and PT6 and the problems were because i didn't (at the time) understand the new OS. OS9 was just so easy to use compared to windows 98 which i was used to also.

I have a G5 with the latest OS that it supports and i was fine with it and PT8, but in toto I still don't like the hierarchy architecture and IMHO it makes more issues for dev's to get software that just works like it used to in the bad ol Motorola days. I am just talking personal exp here but i will say one of the engineering principals i learned as a kid was the more complicate something is, the more there is to fail/go wrong.

The way you hype and push win10.
Makes me think microcrap is paying you to do it:)

Soooo, you read this:
Me said:
Now I'm comfortable enough with Win10 to not want to kill myself, but I hope they don't put out another o/s any time soon.

and you think Hype and Push.

Yeah, I like them coke bottle glasses you wear. Makes you look more.... dignified. :)

I agree with you about the file structure. I hated when Mac went to the "library" system when Mac debuted it in OSX version 1 and i dont care for it in Win 7 either. Another case of mother knows best software in my opinion. Pfaugh.

Then it's not just me.
I couldn't, and still can't understand what MS thought that was better...?
It's so friggin tedious at times...like watching paint dry...or if you go to view installed programs/updates, OMG...that little green bar takes forever to get to the end, and until it does, you just have sit there. There is no easy/fast way to get what you want.
It makes no sense why they thought it was an improvement and that they actually like that...how it would take so long to open some things.

---------- Update ----------

Soooo, you read this:

and you think Hype and Push.

Yeah, I like them coke bottle glasses you wear. Makes you look more.... dignified. :)

:laughings:

ROTFLMAO

win 10 is so much worse than win 7; and 8 too which is also worse than 7

our church went back to seven from a newer win opsys because of the problems

They forced the upgrade to 10 into my 8 and I went right back to 8 when I saw how bad win10 was

Hey man, I say go for it. But to me, and I have been doing this a long time (DOS3.1, yea it was the latest and greatest!), Win10 is a solid piece of software. Now do they, can they, track you? Yes they can! And they will (see cell phone if you want to be paranoid). But if you look, and research, ask, those geeks give you an out (MS dudes). You have to be a geek to find the door.

It has always been that way since the internet 93? Compuserve was my access point, plus I was downloading from BBS. (Only as reference to how long)

Moral of the story here is, Windows was made for Geeks by Geeks. Apple use to be that way, but Jobs decided no, cause he was not a geek. But the other guy (Steve Wozniak) was, and he exited.

So, don't upgrade, the OS will run forever. But, Win10 is a good OS.

I call it OS for Granma. I work with people who cant figure out basic keyboard shortcuts and cant operate without a mouse fer gossake. I figure all new systems are designed for people like that and of course to cover dev's legal rights and prevent lawsuits and less about letting users do what they want.

No FEAR. just pure HATE.

Not learning yet another bleeping UI for an opsys that is yet harder to use than the previous one.

Converting my win10 box to linux and microcrap can bleep themselves.

Linux is a hard OS. You have to know your shit to use that OS. That is a pure Geek OS.

I call it OS for Granma. I work with people who cant figure out basic keyboard shortcuts and cant operate without a mouse fer gossake. I figure all new systems are designed for people like that and of course to cover dev's legal rights and prevent lawsuits and less about letting users do what they want.

:p

Yeah...I hate when they design stuff with the assumption that all end users are either too stupid or too lazy to figure out stuff...so they dummy proof it and make the decisions for you, or they design it so the software leads you in a specific direction that they thought was best.

That said...in my IT job there were end users who I dealt with for over 10 years, and they were just as computer ignorant at the end of the 10 years as the first day I dealt with them. I mean...people wouldn't know how to do the most basic stuff, and I would make a point of explaining it and showing them all the steps, making them do everything...but they all just wanted me to do it for them. They simply didn't want to learn.
Those are the people Win 10 was designed for primarily...and in designing it, they made it harder for those of use who know how get around and like to learn where things are at. It's like they had to hide the tools to prevent to dummies from accidentally finding and using them. :D

TL; DR - i like linux.

Long ago, I worked with bleary-eyed men who would stay up until 2 a.m. many nights getting their PCs to work right.

.bat files. .irq settings. A new disc drive was a multi-night event. But boy were they proud of themselves when it worked.

After MSDOS, I would snicker at musicians trying to milk down a Roland MIDI card (431?) - the only one available for PC - trying to get it to work with their behemoth desktop machine.

I would snicker because of my little lunchbox 512 Macintosh. Except I made music and lots of it because with a single cable to a MIDI interface, I could control dozens of synths (though I had started with only two).
No fuss, no muss.

After some years on Mac up to OS9, no one came remotely close. Good times. But Mac, as Apple does, abandoned their user base for something they thought was cooler. Back then it was serial ports; today it's ports at all. I still nurse a G4, but i'm done with Mac though i play live with an iPad.

Linux became popular, I'm absolutely certain, because all those masochists missed those late nights of file-fishing looking for just that one character that made the whole thing work. It does seem to draw out that type, and good for us all that it does.

But like Windows, oddly, the later distributions of Linux have ironed-out countless quirks and problems that once existed. It's easy to just install it and run the apps you want.

So a transition is pretty simple and easy. It really is. And the freedom is priceless. Asking your computer what it is you want it to *do* is the question. With Linux, you can do most things and everything most people use a computer for.

And you can do it well. Not every app in the world, but it's always growing. They've even developed WINE which is a Windows replacement (it's not an emulator!) for running Windows programs.

Sure, a guy can put on the Geek hat and dig deep and some guys love that. ho-hum. Maybe later. You just don't have to. Not at all.

Full disclosure: Despite 2 machines installed, I'm not making music on Linux yet. My archive (22Tb) is managed from my Linux box and my Linux Laptop will soon replace this one. Reaper on a music box is my next step. Lovely program that will probably supplant all my old OS9 work over time. I may try to get Cubase or a similar title to run inside of WINE but maybe not dick with it, either.

I don't have a "pro studio" to run, anymore. Those days are over. I get called into other people's studios. So just for me, i like the feeling of just oozing away from MS and being part of a really smart community of computer folks.

As cheap as computers are, these days, I'd highly recommend anyone taking a $10 garage-sale computer and installing Linux just for the experience. Don't believe the rumors and reputations of 5 or 10 year old Linux tales. It'll breathe new life into an old computer and, if you're like me, might end up being your new favorite approach to computing.

Been using Win7 for my DAW for a very long time now........and it does work great......but the laptop it's on is getting fairly old so I decided to give 10 a try. I bought a Win10 desktop (just for my DAW) not too long ago and moved everything over to it.....with the intention of using the Win10 unit to see how it goes. I'm familiar with Win10 and used it for some time at work before I retired and my wife has an 8.1 unit as well. After taking all the "fat" off that I could......and reading as much as possible about how to maximize 10 for music production.........to be honest....it's working great. To be fair......I'm running a unit that has a faster processor than my Lenovo laptop........but the HD speed (7200 rpm) and memory (8GB) is the same. I'm pretty much done with the side by side comparison now and I see no reason to go back to Win7. The new unit is noticeably faster and does not have any issues with my AI (Zoom R16) and I went from a 500GB HD to a 1TB.

So.......in short......I switched because 10 came with a new desktop that was faster and could be upgraded (hardware) more easily. I know I could have bought a Win7 unit.......but in the end....there was no real reason for it. I have a friend whom I swap tracks with from time to time and he has used a 10 machine for a long time now and he loves it. He came from XP.

Each to their own of course........and in the end the only thing that matters is getting your music done......but change is not always bad or something to be feared. Yup...windows certainly is a social media toy for SURE. But can you really say that it wasn't at some point in time? Just think AOL chat and when that started.

My point was, if you want to stay, I get it. The company I work for does flexible manufacturing systems. Most use Win7 and IT guys want to upgrade to later OS. I tell them, our systems are not meant to be on the internet, they are there to do a job and with all of the different interfaces we have to do (moving cranes, robots, machine interfaces) it is just simply slapping an upgrade disc in there.

Long story short and to the point, if it works, it will works as long as it works. I just wanted to go to 10 to keep my systems current and dispel the notion that Win10 is bad. Not saying the others are not good.

After MSDOS, I would snicker at musicians trying to milk down a Roland MIDI card (431?) - the only one available for PC - trying to get it to work with their behemoth desktop machine.

I had/have (I am going to work again for the sounds) the Roland LAPC1. I still use the PC-200 controller. You are right, you had to make sure you had the jumpers correct and that matched what was in the software. But once it was set up and it was not that hard, it ran fine. At least mine did.

roland.JPG

I had/have (I am going to work again for the sounds) the Roland LAPC1. I still use the PC-200 controller. You are right, you had to make sure you had the jumpers correct and that matched what was in the software. But once it was set up and it was not that hard, it ran fine. At least mine did.
Oh I quite agree!
Once it was all setup and smoothed-out, it performed just fine.
Seemed a lot longer trip up the mountain with the PC hardware, though.

BTW, the MT-32.. isn't this the card with the sound already on it? Kinda like the predecessor to the popular Sound Canvas? Or am I confused? Suppose if i was motivated, I'd look it up.

Seems to me the interface I was thinking of pre-dated this one and only had MIDI.

Oh I quite agree!
Once it was all setup and smoothed-out, it performed just fine.
Seemed a lot longer trip up the mountain with the PC hardware, though.

BTW, the MT-32.. isn't this the card with the sound already on it? Kinda like the predecessor to the popular Sound Canvas? Or am I confused? Suppose if i was motivated, I'd look it up.

Seems to me the interface I was thinking of pre-dated this one and only had MIDI.

The MT-32 was the module/box that was outside the computer, the LAPC 1 was inside but I think they were both the same engine. MPU-401 was just the card. I was unaware of this card since the LAPC had that capability which is what I think you were originally talking about. The LAPC 1 and MT-32 could just do MIDI.

The MT32 was a stand-alone Roland sound module. It was also the insides of the MT100, which combined the sound library with a sequencer, and was my first step into programming music.

The ISIS sound card which was bundled with an early version of Logic 4 had a built in sound library that was an early version of the Roland Sound Canvas.

I've used Windows for making music since Win 95. It's never been hassle free, but Windows 7 was pretty good. I've been using Linux for everything else for the last ten years though, and only kept Windows as a dual boot for my DAW, which is probably why I found the move to Windows 10 so destructive. Every time I'd boot into Windows it would have updates it insisted on doing immediately, consuming so much of the laptop's resources that I couldn't make any music until the update was completed ... and then it would want to reboot. It was an exercise in frustration.

The Creator update was the last straw, as Windows would keep retrying to install the update, despite every attempt failing because the boot sector wasn't large enough. To get a bigger boot sector I'd need to take Linux off the laptop, update Windows, then reinstall Linux. It just wasn't worth the disruption, so I've said goodbye to Windows altogether for music production.

I have had two "brushes" with W10.

Mainly just for the craic I installed the free download at the time on an Asus MOBO/AMD 6core desktop. Took a whaile to het the 2496 sound card working again but I did. But! WHAT crock of IT! I struggled with it for about 2 days then did the roll back to W7. But I have lost the "old" soundcard software* and its associated control panel..GRRR!

Last Oct I bought my son a Lenovo T430 laptop. W10, 240G ssd and 8G ram, i5 3200 CPU. I set it up for him (he in France) and 'kin'ell" What a horrible experience!

But, I know I need to leave W7 behind soon for internet work so this W7 HP i3 lappy will have the net turned off, the Asus tower will go off line and I shall buy a basic W10 laptop for "office" duties.

I am looking for a refurb, must be 15.6" screen (son's T430 is 14" what a struggle!) i5 and 8G ram. An SSD is also mandatory because I have been told by a "Top Man" that W10 indexes the hard drive and this causes mechanical ones to trash about a bit. W10 is seems "expects" an SSD.

BTW. Msoft have said Ten will be the last OS number? The software will go through many updates and improvements but there will never be an 11, 12 or bigger. They can say what they like but the fact is, by the time they have clucked about, the 2025 OS will look NOTHING like the present incumbent! Might as well call it Windows 15!

*If any one can help with the old M-A 2496 software I would be much obliged.

Dave.

win 10 is actually version six if you dig in and look at what the software says.

Doesnt matter whether microcrap uses a number or slaps a name on it when it is a social media toy that is hard to use.

I would be interested in seeing some evidence to support this. It strikes me as being a very far-fetched claim.

I would be interested in seeing some evidence to support this. It strikes me as being a very far-fetched claim.
Not me. It could be right, but like you, i'd like to know where to dig to find this.

I say this because my main apps use the NT solver in Windows. That module (Windows is a large collection of modules) has remained largely unchanged since the late 90s! It's not that it's some kind of magic solver, it's just that so many products were written for it.

So sure, Version 6? I could see that. Just because the GUI has changed a bit doesn't mean the guts has changed hardly at all.

But, again, it'd be interesting to know where this is found.... or not.

Back