Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Win7>Win10

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Yikes! Im afraid to post because I feel like such a dumb a$$. I scanned this thread but didn't see what I was looking for. Respectful of everyone's opinions I have a problem that I don't know how to remedy.

I was using win 7 and both cubase and pro tools were working just fine. When I download win 10 neither works! Now I have both win 7 and win 10 on my PC and want to return to just win 7 when everything was hunky dory. How can I make this happen?

Thank you for reading.

Thanks
    Depending on the version both cubase and pro tools should work just fine on win10. What problems are you encountering exactly? As for returning to win7 you will probably need a recovery version, hopefully you made a back up? Your license should be good for both 7 and 10
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    that brings back memories of the good old days
    There was nothing good about those old days, IMO.
    These are the best days.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponder5 View Post
    There was nothing good about those old days, IMO.
    These are the best days.
    i am glad you find them better

Thanks
    Still using Cubase elements and I got a deal on pro tools 10 with free upgrade. This was a few years ago...neither DAW shows up on win 10. When I switch to win 7 I get errors saying something like i will have limited access to the program.

I'm only guessing but could it be that my mbox interface got crossed up somehow when I installed win 10?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blove View Post
    Still using Cubase elements and I got a deal on pro tools 10 with free upgrade. This was a few years ago...neither DAW shows up on win 10. When I switch to win 7 I get errors saying something like i will have limited access to the program.

I'm only guessing but could it be that my mbox interface got crossed up somehow when I installed win 10?
    I don't knife if this is significant but I failed to mention that I have win 7 and win 10 both installed as a dual boot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blove View Post
    I don't [know] if this is significant but I failed to mention that I have win 7 and win 10 both installed as a dual boot.
    What I would do:

Wipe the disc.
    Re-install W7 only
    Re-install all your titles.
    Wipe my forehead and say, "wow, that was a close one!"

I can't begin to imagine the artifacts that a W10 dual boot would leave on your drives. If you were running fine before the "upgrade", i would seek mightily to restore exactly what I had and nail it down. Once a new system enters, you have no idea how deep it has gotten and what trouble it might leave behind.

Not intentionally, no. I don't believe it's malicious. I just believe that W10 has very specific ideas of what your computer should be doing that may not be congruent with your wishes.

I'm done with the days of me working for my computer and believe wholeheartedly my computer should work for me. This is why I was a Mac guy for so long doing all my music there. Anything that makes a hassle for me is deleted. Discs are cheap. Heck, computers are cheap. You got a W7 activation code right there on the CPU. Re-install and away you go.

Probably time for a hard drive upgrade, anyway. I know this because it's ALWAYS time for a hard drive upgrade :-)

Thanks
    That sounds rather drastic. I don't disagree that 10 might leave things on the drive after installing, but before finding out what's wrong with his install, you suggest just wiping the whole thing out and reinstalling everything? Do you know how much of a chore that probably is? I think I'd wait until I knew for sure this was the only option.

But, there is an alternative. You could get another hard drive and reinstall 7 and your programs on that drive, just to get back up and running. That way, you can still investigate the situation between 7 and 10 while still using your computer. And if you have a backup of your old system, all the better. Just restore it onto the new hard drive.
    Music ~ the International Language

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerzAndKeyz View Post
    That sounds rather drastic. I don't disagree that 10 might leave things on the drive after installing, but before finding out what's wrong with his install, you suggest just wiping the whole thing out and reinstalling everything? Do you know how much of a chore that probably is? I think I'd wait until I knew for sure this was the only option.
    Drastic? I call it "cleansing" and yes i've done it many, many times because I have many computers and tend not dispense advice I wouldn't do myself -- which is why I led with that.

I don't think of it as scary or drastic. It can be a bit of chore, yes. But up-front work pays long term benefits. Besides, you can watch TV for an hour while it grinds away on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FingerzAndKeyz View Post
    But, there is an alternative. You could get another hard drive and reinstall 7 and your programs on that drive, just to get back up and running. That way, you can still investigate the situation between 7 and 10 while still using your computer. And if you have a backup of your old system, all the better. Just restore it onto the new hard drive.
    Uh, waittaminute.... How is this an "alternative"?

You're still installing all your titles. You're still installing W7 from scratch. You're even purchasing yet another HD. So all you've done is introduce another order of complexity to the situation with another piece of hardware to keep track of.

We already know W10 and W7 are not playing well together on his machine. Dunno the precise reason. Maybe no human ever can know. But we do know that W7 worked, so my idea was to return to what worked.

The only way to return to what worked is to remove every vestige of what did not. Whatever caused the problem, you don't know, and I don't know.

Interestingly, I do agree with you in one respect (it's better to agree). Now that he knows W7/W10 is a reactive solution on his hardware, then do as you said with another drive, only leave one drive totally in W7 and replace (not USB) the drive in totally W10 and see which one he can get working better.

Then if W10 works out, super. If not, put on the brakes and go W7. Whichever one he chooses, the other drive is wiped and becomes an archive.

Still a lotta installation, but sometimes that's what they make us do.

Thanks
    Here is what you do...l
    Replace the HD with an SSD drive...I use Samsung EVO's....500 Gb is under $100 now...
    An SSD is the single best thing you can do to improve performance...

If you Win 7 has a good license...Win 10 will install....
    Usually to make sure things work....
    I download the Win 10 from the link that DM60 provides in the first post...
    It will come down as an ISO....use your DVD burner and burn the ISO to a DVD...
    CD is not large enough...

With the comptuer running on Win 7...install Win 10 ON TOP of Win 7....It will take a while....
    When done...it will now be on Win 10.....make sure it is activated...

NOW...open up the computer and REPLACE the old SATA hard drive with your new SSD drive...

Then with the DVD in the drive.....restart the computer and hit F12 (for Dell)....or F9 (fro HP) or whatever key your
    particular brand uses to bring up the boot order....

Choose to boot from the DVD drive....
    It will show 2 options to install Win 10....one is to keep everything and the other is to delete everything.....choose the delete option...
    Next screen should be to delete the partitions...there will be 2-3 partitions from your old Win 7 installation...
    Delete all partitions...
    Then create new partitions...
    Now let the installation continue until done...
    There will be a point where you indicate what name you want to use...
    Look in the lower left corner of the screen and it should say something like Local Account....
    IMHO...use the local account otherwise you will get a Microsoft account and additional advertising and tracking
    will be activated....

What you are doing is first installing Win 10 ON TOP of Win 7....that allows you to get the license key from
    Win 7 installation and Win 10 will use that....this will be a "digital key"....
    After you have installed Win 10 ON TOP of win 7....then you can re-install Win 10 and get a fresh install
    and completely wipe out all vistages of Win 7...

I'm in the business and I have installed probably 200 Win 10 using this method...

Questions....I'll check in from time to time...

Thread Information