will this computer be good for digital recording?

craigwoods

im very new.. so bear with me...

Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop Computer, 2.66GHz Intel Pentium 4, 512MB RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD,48X CD-RW, 8xAGP,5.1 Sound, NIC, Windows XP (brand new for only $535)

i want to get the FireWall 410 interface and a nice mixer to start my recording..

does anyone recommend a different computer for this? im trying to buy cheap for now and build off it within the next year.. this is all just to get me started. what do ya think??

also, if anyone has any cheaper equipment to recommend that would be good for me just to get started, that would be suppppperr duuppper helpful!

THANKS!!!!!!

I think that your laptop will be plenty powerful enough to run a computer recording system.

It is almost identical to the specs. on my system. The only thing I can think of that might make it easier and faster for you is to possibly think about purchasing a desktop model instead. Laptops are not very expandable, so when you decide that you need more inputs, or a better soundcard, or that the latency in Firewire is too much, you're pretty much out of luck.

I always advocate for desktops with PCI cards as the fastest and most expandable setup.

-Erik

the computer listed above is a desktop..
so you think its a good buy for recording(beginning stages)

what is a PCI card?

is DELL a good computer? i dont know anyone that has one. so i have no clue.. i just dont want this thing crashing on me all the time..

craigwoods said:
im very new.. so bear with me...

Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop Computer, 2.66GHz Intel Pentium 4, 512MB RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD,48X CD-RW, 8xAGP,5.1 Sound, NIC, Windows XP (brand new for only $535)

i want to get the FireWall 410 interface and a nice mixer to start my recording..

does anyone recommend a different computer for this? im trying to buy cheap for now and build off it within the next year.. this is all just to get me started. what do ya think??

also, if anyone has any cheaper equipment to recommend that would be good for me just to get started, that would be suppppperr duuppper helpful!

THANKS!!!!!!

First off, its Firewire.

Secondly, it is a waste of money to buy a Firewire audio interface if you're not planning to use it with multiple computers or a laptop. A PCI card audio interface will be cheaper and can handle more bandwidth (i.e. more tracks) than Firewire. If you are looking at M-Audio products, the Delta series cards work just fine.

How many tracks do you plan to record at a time? If its no more than 2, the Audiophile 2496 will suffice.

Also, 40Gb HD are very anemic nowadays. You shouldn't buy anything with less than 100Gb.

i plan to record at least 4 tracks at once(for drums) although, more would be pretty cool... thanks for the info about the firewire and the hard drive..

and i know what a PCI slot is.. i think my brain farted..

what else could i use to get started if i got the DELTA 44?

i appreciate this.. thanks!

craigwoods said:
what else could i use to get started if i got the DELTA 44?

that computer will be fine. You're overpaying a tad for having someone else build your computer but with it comes a machine you know will work.

Now to answer your question above, you could use a mixer with direct outs, four mics, four mic cables, insert cables to go from mixer to delta 44, nearfield monitors, tracking headphones and mic stands!

There are lots of options for all of these depending on budget vs. quality concerns but that's what you need...

I have almost that exact setup except for an 80g hd which I plan on using for the os only and adding a 120g firewire external for audio. I had a firewire pci card installed because Im running ProTools 002 Rack. Ill also be installing another 512m of ram soon. So far, other than beating my head against the wall learning protools, everything is working perfectly... I paid approximately $460 for the whole system, the day I called Dell they were having unreal specials, I got lucky...

craigwoods said:
is DELL a good computer? i dont know anyone that has one. so i have no clue.. i just dont want this thing crashing on me all the time..

My son got a Dell from his mom and I’ve ended up with it because he couldn’t do any gaming with it. I’m gonna gut the POS because it has crappy 5400 RPM H.D and no AGP slot on the MOBO. It does have 512 meg of RAM. No way to really add anything to this box as it’s obviously been built for just getting on the internet. I’ve been running my Delta 1010 on it and it has not crashed (Well Sonar has crashed a couple times) even once. It’s a reliable PC so far but I’m going to get a proper MOBO and a REAL H.D and put everything in a new case. When multitracking I can hear that H.D chugging along, it’s dog slow.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Dell’s just spec it out to what your requirements are and you should do fine. Those $499 ad’s are appealing but your getting a box like what I just described.

Settle on a sound card (unless you already have one obviously) and make sure the motherboard/hardware is compatible...

yeah that HDD isn't big enough. Go for a nice quiet SeaGate Barracuda (if not make sure you get a 7200 rpm drive).

RAM is important too... don't skimp on that (not just the amount but the quality/manufacturer).

Building your own PC from your own selected components is really the best route if you feel confident enough imo. This way you select the best components for your budget and specific performance requirements without a bunch of other crap that only jacks up the price or takes up space.

heh...craig, sorry about that. for some reason i thought you said laptop. i think $535 for the "premade" system is perfectly reasonable! my rack equipment cost more than that :)

-Erik

Dell's are great computers. They use some of the best components you can get for computers. I have a desktop with a Delta 66 Omni running Logic. I've had no problems yet.

awesome.. thanks for all the info everyone! it really helps me alot.. i have some more q's!!!!!!!!!!!!

so would a mixer like this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3701086780&category=23785

does anyone think that 80gb HDD is not enough?
im prolly goin with a Dell, just wondering how much more i should spend for more than 80gb HDD... id build a computer if i knew what the hell i was doing.. sometime in the future i will do it tho.. i know i will.. im all about DIY.

and what exactly would i need the OMNI i/o for? if anyone feels like it, please explain it out to me.. the m-audio site is all jibberish to me.

sorry about all the questions!
:)

The omni studio comes with two mic/inst pres and a 4 analog i/o and 2 digital i/o soundcard. Buying just the omni will NOT give you a soundcard.

The Delta44 accepts 4 analog signals but has no preamps. To use this, you will need a mixer w/ preamps.

If you're going for an all-in-one solution, the omni studio is the way to go. Plug the mics into the omni pres, and the analog outs connect to the pci card in your computer. You don't have to fuss w/ a mixer or learning how to connect it to your soundcard.

but, if you want to have the tactile experience of twisting knobs and pulling faders, go with a mixer (or independent preamps like the DMP3 by M-audio) and the delta 44.

two cents. :D

Back