Wich is better USB/Firewire Audio Interface vs PCI/PCIe audio interface?

Need more info.

For mobility it's firewire/usb hands down, but I guess that's not what you're asking.
What is it? Converter quality, noise, bandwidth, latency?

it's not for mobility,because i record at home and i won't go anywhere,i'am asking about latency,converter and noise and if a i buy a pcie sound card i can directly record from the microphone or i need to buy something else?
The sound card that i have in mind is Infrasonic Quartet!

Last edited:
PCIe is hands down the fastest interface, followed by USB 3.0, Firewire, and USB 2.0 in that order. I expect USB 3.0 to put the kibosh on Firewire next year.

Why would you want a Infrasonic Quartet though?

it's suited for my needs,initially i wanted to buy the focusrite saffire pro 14 and then i saw this and i don't know wich to choose

To each their own but I don't touch nuthin' that doesn't allow me to plug a microphone in right out of the box.

I didn't scrutinize the description, but it said it has a mic pre and 48v phantom power.
Hows that working? Breakout box? I don't see XLR sockets anywhere.

Frankly, any of the above will be capable of excellent results, subject to your required track count. Lists of what's "fastest" don't always tell the full story--for example, up to 16+ tracks in/out USB 2 has plenty of speed for anything you may wish to do.

By the same token, the trade off for having an internal PCI interface is speed vs. the need to exist in an electrically noisy environment. The good ones cater for this with really good shielding; they cheaper ones can have a higher noise floor than external devices.

However, the one I'd be avoiding just now would be Firewire--not because there's anything wrong the the technology but, rather, because computer manufacturers are dropping support for it very quickly.

As for your question on whether you need more than a PCIe interface and a mic, that depends on the gear and what they include in the break out box. Some PCIe interfaces are fully featured; others are line level only devices and assume you'll use a mic pre amp or mixer to feed into the interface.

If it was me (and everyone is different) unless there was a very compelling reason otherwise, I'd probably go for USB2 just now--proven technology, enough speed/bandwidth for 16+ tracks and fairly future proof. I was listening to a radio documentary the other day predicting the death of desk top computers in the next few years.

By the same token, the trade off for having an internal PCI interface is speed vs. the need to exist in an electrically noisy environment. The good ones cater for this with really good shielding; they cheaper ones can have a higher noise floor than external devices.

Most of the good ones handle this by doing the analog to digital conversion in an external breakout box.... :)

However, the one I'd be avoiding just now would be Firewire--not because there's anything wrong the the technology but, rather, because computer manufacturers are dropping support for it very quickly.

Perversely, you could also argue the opposite. More and more laptops are shipping with Thunderbolt, and you can add a FireWire port to any of those machines with a $30 adapter. So in effect, FireWire is available on more computers than ever before. :D

And if things go the way I think they will—if Thunderbolt continues to grow in popularity and improves in functionality—then FireWire will probably continue to be compatible with most laptops for at least the next decade.

And even if USB didn't have momentum going for it, it would still be long-term-safe for the same reason that FireWire is. External buses are just easier to support.

On the flip side, internal buses are problematic. At this point, legacy parallel PCI is circling the drain, with fewer and fewer motherboards supporting it, and no cheap way to add it to computers that don't have it. I would avoid parallel-PCI-based hardware. Same goes for CardBus (based on parallel PCI).

And although this may seem counterintuitive now, availability of PCIe is also likely to decline over the next few years. Desktop computer sales are on the decline, as you mentioned. Within a few years (like ten or twelve), desktop computer sales are expected to be lost in the noise. At that point, your only options for PCIe will likely involve expensive breakout boxes.

And ExpressCard is also in decline, because Thunderbolt is "good enough" and takes up less physical space inside the computer.

With that said, both PCIe and ExpressCard are supportable through Thunderbolt adapters that cost about $300 apiece, assuming the card vendor is willing to update the drivers to support it. Given a choice, I would still lean towards external devices, though.

...Perversely, you could also argue the opposite. More and more laptops are shipping with Thunderbolt, and you can add a FireWire port to any of those machines with a $30 adapter. So in effect, FireWire is available on more computers than ever before...

Now THAT is an interesting perspective. Specially if the Firewire devices lose market share and manufacturers start discounting. Hmmm....

I think it's a pretty crappy time to be trying to buy a high-end interface though. I wouldn't want to bet my hard earned cash on Thunderbolt or USB 3 just yet. Just like Betamax and Firewire should have won, the best technology doesn't always catch on!

It is possible (even likely?) that high quality firewire audio interfaces will around for some time, and may even drop in price. While motherboard makers are evidently dropping onboard firewire support, add-on firewire adapters will probably be around for some time to come. Furthermore, thunderbolt to firewire adapters are emerging.

So, I don't see a sudden, cataclysmic abolition of firewire in the near future.

Just don't try to do it with a PC laptop. Firewire seems defunct there from a manufacturer standpoint. I'm sure interface manufacturers are noticing this as well.

It is possible (even likely?) that high quality firewire audio interfaces will around for some time, and may even drop in price. While motherboard makers are evidently dropping onboard firewire support, add-on firewire adapters will probably be around for some time to come. Furthermore, thunderbolt to firewire adapters are emerging.

So, I don't see a sudden, cataclysmic abolition of firewire in the near future.

If everyone were as educated on the topic as you I'd most certainly agree. But taken as an aggregate the marketplace is as stupid as a bag of rocks and manufacturers will absolutely be rebranding their Firewire offerings as Thunderbolt offerings even if all they do is include a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter in the packaging.

That, plus the fact that a number of PC manufacturers are being pretty luke warm about including Thunderbolt. I foresee a few years of Thunderbolt/USB3 competition.

Sadly I have to largely agree with Dgatwoods analysis.

I find myself in the very fortunate position of being able to upgrade one of my 2496 cards to an AP 192*, something I have long wanted to do..I cannot find one in uk!

I was informed by a trusted source that the factory is using up "what's in the bins" and there will probably be no more new 192s very soon (I can risk buying one from the States for $99 !)

Re speeds: Firewire (400) can certainly throughput more data both ways faster than usb 2.0 in the limit but since 8 in 4 out is more than enough for most home jockies, nothing in it. I can get around Northampton just as fast LEGALLY in my 1800 Proton as I can in my Bugatti Veyron!

I think Thunderbolt, like FW will only be fitted to pretty expensive machines and usb 3.0 will sweep all before it (anyone know of a usb 3.0 AI yet?).
I do not agree that laptops will replace desktops. Certainly in OUR office I see a lot of lappies being used with "proper" usb keyboards and mice! A really powerful "office" desktop is SO much cheaper than an equivalent laptop. Then, many of our PCs run two screens AND you can bung the guts under the desk!

Dave. *but that Infrasonic looks ah, interesting!

If everyone were as educated on the topic as you I'd most certainly agree. But taken as an aggregate the marketplace is as stupid as a bag of rocks and manufacturers will absolutely be rebranding their Firewire offerings as Thunderbolt offerings even if all they do is include a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter in the packaging.

This. Someone could turn a Thunderbolt interface into a FireWire interface with a daughtercard, an internal set of FireWire pins, and two additional holes in the back. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Assuming it hasn't....

I do not agree that laptops will replace desktops. Certainly in OUR office I see a lot of lappies being used with "proper" usb keyboards and mice!

Even though it is more expensive than a desktop, those folks can grab the laptop and carry it with them to meetings, so they only need to have one machine instead of two. Besides, the fact that your IT folks bought laptops instead of desktops pretty much proves the point. Desktops might have been a better choice, but they went with laptops anyway, and as long as folks are doing that, laptop sales will increase while desktop sales will decrease.

More and more laptops are shipping with Thunderbolt, and you can add a FireWire port to any of those machines with a $30 adapter. So in effect, FireWire is available on more computers than ever before. :D

Liv you want to set your stock in something that can be used in this era of music dgat is sayin some really good things here set your sites on equip that you can use interchange and that is working with the current technology.

if Thunderbolt continues to grow in popularity and improves in functionality—then FireWire will probably continue to be compatible with most laptops for at least the next decade.
So correct, I dont know bout others but when you buy most tend to forget bout the future, Liv You you want to get something that you will be able to work with 10 years ahead something that you can get a lot of use out for a long time thinking that way is a way better investment specially when new software comes out having up to date technology keeps you compatible (sometimes).

On the flip side, internal buses are problematic. At this point, legacy parallel PCI is circling the drain, with fewer and fewer motherboards supporting it, and no cheap way to add it to computers that don't have it. I would avoid parallel-PCI-based hardware. Same goes for CardBus (based on parallel PCI).
This is why I left my PCIe card behind, I had alot of problems spent more time T-SHooting then recording. Firewire/USB/T-Bolt is just simpler

And although this may seem counterintuitive now, availability of PCIe is also likely to decline over the next few years. Desktop computer sales are on the decline, as you mentioned. Within a few years (like ten or twelve), desktop computer sales are expected to be lost in the noise. At that point, your only options for PCIe will likely involve expensive breakout boxes.
Great point dgat dont wanna buy something you have to go "Back to the future" in. Its just dosent make sense on any angel. PCIe is not a main line product anymore even harder and harder to get updates for them or have new plugins or software for them.

And ExpressCard is also in decline, because Thunderbolt is "good enough" and takes up less physical space inside the computer.
BINGO!

Even though it is more expensive than a desktop, those folks can grab the laptop and carry it with them to meetings, so they only need to have one machine instead of two. Besides, the fact that your IT folks bought laptops instead of desktops pretty much proves the point. Desktops might have been a better choice, but they went with laptops anyway, and as long as folks are doing that, laptop sales will increase while desktop sales will decrease.

Sorry D, but no. These are field guys who would RATHER be using a desktop but there isn't one handy and a kbd and squeak is peanuts and gets over most of the hassle of lappies.
Then the top lab guys will have a laptop and a desktop simply for to-ing and fro-ing but the company cannot give that to everyone!
I mentioned two screens? Also desktops handle audio interfaces (yup, got 'em in amps now) better and easier than laps.

Dave.

Back