Why people actually pay for recording software..

BluesMeister said:
No, I paid for my software. I bought it in the UK last November.

Trust me, humility, civility and reason will overcome belligerence any day.

As you've no doubt discovered, piracy is frowned upon in this BB. There are many people hereabouts who have great knowledge and are only to happy to impart that knowledge to others. I've certainly benefitted from being here, and I hope there are others who have benefitted from my posts too.

Try not to ruffle anyone's feathers and you'll be fine.

--
BluesMeister

Thanks boddah.

FrizzleFry said:
...but the point is that my instance of downloading their product has no bearing on weather that company makes money.
What a load of horseshit - of course it costs the company --- you're using s/w you should have paid for.... pretty obvious stuff - I'm guessing you're not too high up on the IQ scale....... :rolleyes:

Blue Bear Sound said:
What a load of horseshit - of course it costs the company --- you're using s/w you should have paid for.... pretty obvious stuff - I'm guessing you're not too high up on the IQ scale....... :rolleyes:

I've covered this point many times in the thread. If you don't get it by now, you are obtuce.

Rationalizing theft doesn't make you any less of a crook, shit-for-brains.........

:rolleyes:

BTW - you look REALLY quite silly describing people as "lacking intellectual acuity" (the meaning of "obtuse"), but then misspelling that word in the process..........

This is first time I've actually seen someone grow stupider as a thread goes on......... :rolleyes:

FrizzleFry said:
You can downlload a full crack of Cool Edit Pro 2000
And a full crack of Fruity Loops 3
from kazaa
you don't have to pay a cent.
(not that I have done either of these things)

Why do morons pay hundreads of dollars for this stuff?

Get a job you loser. Admit it, you're really a kiwi aren't you? Just keep shearing those sheep instead of buggering them and one day you too can pay for own stuff.

FrizzleFry said:
Well, I'm a student.. so I cant afford anything. I disagree with the comparrison of software piracy and house painting for two reasons. First.. painting a house is done in labour. They might get 14.50 per hour for their work, which is reasonable. Software is a product, and it probably costs and 3 dollers a package in mass production, and they often sell it at around 400.

Even your economics and manufacturing theories are moronic. Software develpment is 95% labor. Do you think programmers work for free? Do you think they actually believe that the cost of the CD is worth a 300% markup? The distribution of software is nothing compared to the research and development costs.

I sell engineering software that costs $25,000 US per user. They pay $4000/year just for tech support. $300 for an audio app is nothing.

The software I work on is almost $200 million dollars per user...
Of course there are only a couple of users out there!

Seriously, software engineering is hard work! Anyone who thinks that the $300 they pay for whatever application is just mark-up on the manufacturing of the CD/box/printed manual is a MORON!
Development costs money! Support costs money!

The food I put on my table from my engineering salary costs money! Money I wouldn't have if our customer didn't pay us because he found a crack on the 'net!

Oh, I'm glad you're not going to be an English Teacher in the States, so there's no chance of my (not-yet-born) kids having you are their teacher!

TexRoadkill said:
Even your economics and manufacturing theories are moronic. Software develpment is 95% labor. Do you think programmers work for free? Do you think they actually believe that the cost of the CD is worth a 300% markup? The distribution of software is nothing compared to the research and development costs.

I sell engineering software that costs $25,000 US per user. They pay $4000/year just for tech support. $300 for an audio app is nothing.

FrizzleFry said:
Well, I'm a student.. so I cant afford anything. I disagree with the comparrison of software piracy and house painting for two reasons. First.. painting a house is done in labour. They might get 14.50 per hour for their work, which is reasonable. Software is a product, and it probably costs and 3 dollers a package in mass production, and they often sell it at around 400. Thhats too much of a mark up and they can piss off if they expect me to do them any favours. Especially consider the following fact. when you steal "software" of the internet is's not at all like stealing a product like a CD or a Telivision.. because a download doesn't actuall exist. It's just a piece of information. If I have it now, that does not mean that somebody else does not have it, or that sombody has to make another one, or even that somebody had to make it in the first place. There is not one iota of displacement in the world after you download a crack on kazza apart from the person who downloaded it has a better computer. Since I can never afford to buy software like cool edit pro, weather I download it free or not has no effect on the maker at all. If i didn't download it, they would still not get any money out of me... so who really cares? In fact, since I am using their product, it's likley that I am going to engage other people into discussions about the product, and use it with friends, I am going to be activly networking for the company, possibly reccomending it to others, and If I like it im likly to buy the product one day when I do have some money. So, even from the software makers perspective, it's far better that I have the so called "illegal" version of their product then none at all. And finally, anybody that thinks ejhics are a relevant part of the computer industry, especially software, is seriously delusional.

I don’t usually do this, but you really are a moron.

1) Just because your worthless ass takes up space on this planet does not give you the “right” to have whatever you want any time you want it. Get a job or another job if you feel like you need something that you should be buying.
2) Software companies spend a shit load of money on development of software. They need to recoup these costs and earn a profit on top of that in order for them stay in business.
3) Just because Bill Gates was successful does not give you the right to steal from Microsoft. Incidentally, Mr. Gates did not invent all software, especially if you are talking about recording software.
4) If you are into music, maybe some day you write a great hit song. Your income from that song is, in part, determined by how many people buy the record that contains your song. If they are downloading it from Kazaa, you get zip. Try feeding your family on the good feeling that 20,000 people have downloaded your song. See any parallel there? And don’t give me that “Kazaa actually helps record sales” line of bullshit. That is the subterfuge of a scoundrel and blatantly untrue.
5) Word of advice. If you think that something costs too much…don’t buy it. You can go get n-track for $30. Go to it…have a ball. I personally like my Cakewalk better and I was willing to pay for it.
6) Even if the software industry is unethical (not sure where you are coming up with that broad statement), that does not give you the right to act in an unethical manner. If you come back to me with some relativistic statement like “your morals are your morals and mine are mine” I’ll be over to your house later to take what ever pleases me. Of course you won’t agree with it, but hey, it’s all good my me :rolleyes:

There…I feel much better now ;) :D

FrizzleFry said:
If you cast intelectual judgements on people because their values differ from you, then you sirt are the moron.

Oh yeah...here is the tired moral relativism I referred to in my above post. I figured it would rear its ugly head sooner or later. So your address is what again? Surely you have a decent stereo that I could use somewhere in my house. It fits my values…so I guess I’ll be over in a little bit. If you could have it boxed up for me that would be most helpful. ;)

You're going about this all wrong Fry.
Why black list yourself by being so combatative.

People here and elsewhere on the web having the same interests as you are quite helpful.

We would like to see each other succeed at this.

If you showed genuine interest in doing this music thing, recorded some examples of your work done with low cost or free software...someone like myself wouldn't mind throwing you something your way if you had any talent.

I've given the young kid I work with a free M-Audio preamp and I'm selling him my PC software and Audiophile2496 card for DIRT cheap. Why...because he goes to school in the morning, and works graveyard shift to pay the bills, and is genuinely serious about wanting to get into home recording.

I have other sound cards and software lying around. People can be very helpful if you give them a chance. But burning bridges doesn't do much in this business. It's about people helping people out.

gordone said:
Oh, I'm glad you're not going to be an English Teacher in the States, so there's no chance of my (not-yet-born) kids having you are their teacher!

That's the thing that is now worying me... FussyFry... let me know which school you are teaching at so I don't send my kids there!!!

You know the old story of digging a grave... Frizzle... you've done it unfortunately. Homerecording BBS is one / the most informative home recording resources on the web. You can ask a question at any time of the day and usually get an answer pretty quickly... however if you piss people off when you start, you might as well not come back here.. people remember. :cool:

Porter

Porter,

I've already told him he's shot himself in the foot. Be on the lookout for a limping student teacher :)

--
BluesMeister

This all boils down to your belief, whether you know it or not, in moral relativism. It's the idea that are no absolutes. Whatever is right for your may not be right for me. You believe that whatever you believe is right even though it may not be right for someone else. And seeing by many of your earlier posts, you came on here looking an argument. You also said that you were the only one that hadn't used the word 'moron". Well in your very first post I seem to recall you calling anyone that pays for their software a moron. Anyways I guess this will never be clear in your mind, but moral relativism is one of the most dangerous ideas facing the world. It is because of this idea of no absolutes that much of the problems in the world exist. Hey even though murder may be wrong to you , I think it's just fine. No matter whether you think its right or wrong, murder is wrong. The court sure as hell wouldnt give a shit if you thought murder was O.K. It's just like what Jagular said.

I told him he shot himself in the foot right after his first post, before any of this took place. Good thing he took my warning to heart :)

Back