why multiple outputs?

houdini

I realize this is a newbie question but, what is the advantage of multiple outs on a soundcard? For example, I believe the Gina card has 2 analog inputs and several (8-10) outputs. Why? I can see a couple of outputs for recording on to another medium in stereo but why 10? Thanks for the help...

For sending multiple different mixes to different sources, for monitoring different instruments, for marketing reasons even though 95% of all users will never use all 8 outputs simultaneously. (at least i never have... :)

Here's a related question. When sending the same stereo pair (in a file on the HD) to all 4 pairs of output lines on the GINA, does the soundcard do the extra work or is this bogging down my CPU/HD data transfer system?

Er, why are you sending the same file to both pairs of outputs at once anyway? Nevertheless, I can't imagine why that should be more of a load than sending two different files.

I was thinking it might be less of a load if the data were transferred to all of the output ports with the same command, and this did not necessitate calling some routine multiple times to send the same data to each port. CW does use some intelligent clip manipulation internally that reads copies of the same clip from the same place instead of making inefficient ghost copies of the clip. Never actually done this, but doggone it- I bought 4 output pairs and, well: why does a dog yada yada yada. Because he can!
All joking aside.
Suppose I want one pair to go to my studio monitor device, a SONY cheapo receiver. And I want a second identical pair to go to a cassette deck so I can listen to this mix in my truck. And I want pair #3 to go to the 424 for a double speed cassette copy of the mix. And the fourth pair to feed a reel to reel deck on loan from someone with no other way to hear anything? I'd actually need to purchase some more adapter cables to even try this experiment.... <gr>

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 06-28-1999).]

Back