Whole fresh set-up.... walk me through

uncle sixer

So the new laptop is coming this week: Dell Inspiron 7000 with i5, 12gB RAM, 256gB SSD, 2xUSB 3.2A, Thunderbolt, and HDMI

This is my first brand new computer purchase in over 20 yrs that is not an Apple product (my wife likes apple) and not for work (where it is supported by IT dept), so I have questions...

I want good security for it. It comes with 6 months of Webroot internet security with antivirus. When that expires, should I extend it or is there something else cheap and reliable and reputable?

I want to get rid of bloatware if possible. What are good reputable ways to eliminate bloatware, especially things that eat memory and use resources in the background?

I am ordering my Behringer UMC 404HD this week, which will need drivers I assume.

I am going to run REAPER, which will I assume is an installation that downloads.

I am going to try MT Power Drum Kit 2 for the 95% of the time I cannot use live drums (or drum parts I just can't play)... unless there is something better for cheap.

Do I do the Behringer drivers first or REAPER first? MT Power DrumKit after REAPER? Or does it not matter?

I assume everything else can be done in any order.

What surprises should I be watching for. Thanks for any and all advice, I have been waiting a long time and I want to get this thing running right!!!

Do I do the Behringer drivers first or REAPER first? MT Power DrumKit after REAPER? Or does it not matter?

It does not really matter which order you do things in.

However, I would install the interface first, Reaper second and Power Drums last.

That way, when you install Reaper, it should pick up the interface ok, with just a littel bit of configuring.

You can go to the add/remove programs, to get rid of any unwanted programs. MS's virus protection is pretty good. I would say 99.9%, so if you are not going all over the place and clicking on questionable sites, it should cover you. I use this on one of my computers, on the others I use Malwarebytes. If you have a router, that is your first firewall protection, then the built in one from MS.

Most people (99.99999%) get viruses and malware by downloading a file and installing it. Unless you are a big company, the chances of someone trying to "brute force" their way into your computer (let's face it, they want in, they will get in) are very remote.

I think it doesn't matter, but I would get the computer setup first and get everything removed, then add the interface, then install the DAW. But I will be honest, there is no technical merit behind this approach, just a preference.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. Computer will be here tomorrow, interface Friday. Should be a fun weekend, I hope.

We have malware bytes installed where I work and the IT guy said it is good, so I may look into that.

I just set up a couple of laptops, and the first thing I did after getting through the setup process for Windows was to delete Office365 trial, McAfee trial and the XBox stuff, disable Cortana and OneDrive. On my computers, I'll put Open Office and Firefox. With 256GB, you don't want to be adding lots of other programs.

I've had no issues using MS Defender, and occasionally I'll run the free Housecall scan just for a second opinion.

Reaper is about a 2 minute download these days with broadband. I would install Reaper, then do MTPDK. The Behringer can be added any time, it's a simple process to change the hardware in Reaper.

Back