Where oh where have my audio files gone?

RecTech

Grrr.....

Student just came out of the booth to remark that the audio files weren't loading for his DP4.6 project that he was working on. He got the pop up window saying, "Can't locate these audio files" and a list of all of the files for that project.

No big deal, I thought and started to show him how to locate the audio files and restore the link between the DP project and the individual audio files.

Trouble is that the files aren't there......for a LOT of DP projects. They aren't showing up in their respective audio file folders within the DP project and they don't show up when doing a search of the hard drive.

Now, we're talking about several projects in several different locations that have all of their audio files gone. I know they weren't deleted through the trash can for two reasons: 1) I didn't do it and 2) the kids can't delete stuff beause I set their permissions up that way.

Is it possible that it's an indexing issue and that the files are there but the computer isn't seeing them?

This will be very bad is they have to go back and restore all of the missing work that they've done.......

Oh.....eMac, system 10.3.9, DP4.6

RecTech said:
Grrr.....

Student just came out of the booth to remark that the audio files weren't loading for his DP4.6 project that he was working on. He got the pop up window saying, "Can't locate these audio files" and a list of all of the files for that project.

No big deal, I thought and started to show him how to locate the audio files and restore the link between the DP project and the individual audio files.

Trouble is that the files aren't there......for a LOT of DP projects. They aren't showing up in their respective audio file folders within the DP project and they don't show up when doing a search of the hard drive.

Now, we're talking about several projects in several different locations that have all of their audio files gone. I know they weren't deleted through the trash can for two reasons: 1) I didn't do it and 2) the kids can't delete stuff beause I set their permissions up that way.

Is it possible that it's an indexing issue and that the files are there but the computer isn't seeing them?

This will be very bad is they have to go back and restore all of the missing work that they've done.......

Oh.....eMac, system 10.3.9, DP4.6

Make sure there isn't filesystem corruption. Run Disk Utility and have it check the drive.

Beyond that... do they show up in Finder? If so, are there a huge number of files in the same folder? DP -might- be using an older Carbon File Manager call that has a limit to the number of files it can return. I rather doubt it, but it's the only possibility I can think of.

Last things last, try rebooting. Since you're running on an HFS+ volume, Carbon File Manager is going through volfs to try to locate the file by volume ID. If volfs got unmounted or something else failed in a really weird way, that would correct such a problem.

That's about all I can suggest. If the files exist anywhere on the drive, DP should have automatically found them by file ID, so odds are pretty good that they were somehow deleted.

Back