Where Can I improve?

mentalattica

Just a Home Recorder
I just wanted to get some opinions of where I can improve or what I can add that would make the biggest difference in my recordings. Here's a run down of what I do have.

Interface(s):
Echo Layla 3G (currently inoperable)
M-Audio Firewire Solo

Pre(s):
Studio Projects VTB-1
M-Audio DMP3
Built in M-Audio Pre
ART Tube MP (had this thing for years I never use it though)

Mic(s):
Shure KSM27
AKG C300B
MXL V93M (aka 2003)
Shure SM7

Monitors:
M-Audio BX5's (not bx5a)
M-Audio DX4's (strictly for portability)

Cables:
Mogami Gold Series XLR
Mogami Silver Serier Instrument Cables
Musicians Friend Tweed Instrument Cables
CBI Instrument Cables

Software:
Adobe Audition
A bunch of plugins

Room Treatment:
Auralex Foam

I was thinking of adding a compressor to the chain, I have around $300 to play with (maybe a bit more if need be). I was going to get Protools M-Powered for $250 but I think I'd rather add or upgrade gear. What do some of you guys think? I am open to all suggestions. Also by any chance does anyone know where I could find just a breakout box for the Layla 3g? I contacted Echo but they dont sell them seperate from the PCI card and cable.

I chatted with a guy at GC and he reccomended the Antares Vocal Producer hardware, I find it hard to trust the guys at GC because of the poor reccomendations they have given me in the past (and the fact he NEVER heard of studio projects at all, or says my studio will NEVER be any good without pro tools...lol). Can anyone vouche for this product? I was thinking RNC because you guys here and on other forums speak so highly of it.

thanks for the reply shakez,

i took your advice as much as i didnt want to hear getting a new interface considering i just bought the firewire solo a month ago (i shoulda went with the firewire 410 because deep down I knew I'd be upgrading but not this soon!) but today i bought a delta 1010 with breakout box for $413.00 (379.99, so technically they still beat MF's price).

I feel like an ASS now though because I could have went a lot of other directions with a firewire interface but truth be told I always wanted the Delta 1010, even when I purchased the Layla 3G. Last night I almost had one used for $220.00 at GC but they couldnt find the PCI card or cable so I said to hell with it and got it new at a local place called C&M.

Now my setup isnt as portable without lugging my PC around, thats what I hated most about my Layla 3G which looks like I'm back in the same boat. 3 Days ago I bought an Alesis 3630 compresser/limiter, I know it isn't the best but I just wanted for the gate really (and some real light compression) I use RComp most of the time.

:mad: Now that $1200 spent on a laptop and the small DX4's for portable recording is depressing me now that I'm back at my desk recording on my PC.

Next Step Monitors....... Anyone care to reccommend a pair under $500? Pref. cheaper (my GF's gonna KILL me twice! Once she finds out about the compressor and interface...lol that's damn neaer 1 months rent!)

And how would some of you guys with more experience than I rate my home studio? (the list is listed above along with the new 1010 and 3630)

Back