What's this guy got against free DAWs ?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Just browsing some more "Best of.." articles and ran across this one by MusicCritic.com which reflects their definite bias towards pay-for DAWs as opposed to free.

An excerpt :

2. Free vs. Paid DAW's

As they say, all good things in this world have a price.

This question is probably the most asked by beginners, and you shouldn’t blame them. When you’re starting something and not sure what the future holds, you might not feel like you should invest in software. We're not totally against free DAWs, but as things get serious, you should invest in a better, paid version.

One of the most common problems with the free digital audio workstation is the fact that it doesn’t let you create professional sounding music tracks. There are a lot of limitations that you sometimes deal with, it's your creativity and music that ultimately suffers. The free DAWs are usually pretty, with a nice, easy to use interface, but they typically don’t have the ability to polish up tracks like paid ones. So, yes, you can make a start with this free music making software, but don’t expect your output to be a masterpiece. Some free DAWs may have the feature of VST instruments, but they are likely to freeze your computer, or become slow when using multiple features at the same time.

Investing in a paid DAW is worth the money, even if you’re a beginner, or just taking music-making up as a hobby. Your output will be awesome with this software, and you can showcase your skills easily to friends on social media. There is one thing to keep in mind, though – when buying a DAW, make sure that you avoid those bootlegged versions as that don’t support updates. Updates to your DAW software are important, as they usually contain bug fixes, new instruments, effects, and more. It's always better to pay a few hundred dollars in exchange for a lifetime update and stable software that can enhance your skills.

So, our final say would be that paid DAWs are capable of a lot more, and when talking about value for money, they are worth it.

10 Best DAWs - Best Music Recording Software in 2020 [Buying Guide]

I'm guessing they get paid for publishing the "reviews". I like that they put as one of the check marks for ProTools 10 is "great value". I don't think I've ever heard anyone recommend it based on value. At $360 a year for the subscription license, its anything but.

You don't get paid for recommending someone use free software.

I know people who pay to use MS Office 365 for simple letters and the occasional spreadsheet. I use OpenOffice for free. It does the same job and saves me $70 a year.

I'm guessing they get paid for publishing the "reviews". I like that they put as one of the check marks for ProTools 10 is "great value". I don't think I've ever heard anyone recommend it based on value. At $360 a year for the subscription license, its anything but.

You don't get paid for recommending someone use free software.

I know people who pay to use MS Office 365 for simple letters and the occasional spreadsheet. I use OpenOffice for free. It does the same job and saves me $70 a year.

Verily: I have bought software in the past, the mid priced versions of Cubase and Cakewalk basically for my son. He used them to a degree but was much slicker with the free version of Samplitude SE8 that we got from a magazine. When, a couple of years ago MAGIX slashed the price of Samplitude Pro X suite and bundled it with other software it was too good a deal to miss so we both bought it.

Whether stuff is recording in the free SE8, Pro X3 or even Audacity, .wavs sound EXACTLY the same! As for VSTis being unstable? More a function of PC power or/and AI driver quality.

Reaper is effectively free and so cheap anyway it might as well be but is regarded as every bit as good as the 'pro' software plus it has a very low CPU hit.

"Final 'polish' can only be done in PT or equivalent" By "polish" I think they mean 'Mastering'? IF someone has completed a mix worthy of mastering it should be sent to someone steeped in that Black Art!

Dave.

What's this guy got against free DAWs?

Mmm...I don't see that he's 100% against them... in the excerpt you quoted, he's made it clear he is not...and then gave reasons why paid are better.

"We're not totally against free DAWs, but as things get serious, you should invest in a better, paid version."

From the DAWs the author chose as the top 10, it seems that his focus is mainly on electronic music. He does make a number of strange claims, such as "Some free DAWs may have the feature of VST instruments, but they are likely to freeze your computer, or become slow when using multiple features at the same time."

Mmm...I don't see that he's 100% against them... in the excerpt you quoted, he's made it clear he is not...and then gave reasons why paid are better.

"We're not totally against free DAWs, but as things get serious, you should invest in a better, paid version."

That quote makes it quite clear that he thinks paid software is "better"

Of course
nerd sh** said:
$ telnet musiccritic.com 80
Trying 45.77.5.194...
Connected to musiccritic.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 13:42:48 GMT
Server: Apache/2.4.12 (Ubuntu)

He clearly doesn't have a problem with free software if when he's not worried about the paid version buying ads.

This 'article' may as well say "Just trust me...I can't explain it".
There's an argument to be made in that many free DAWs are limited and, therefore, could potentially limit your workflow, but this person didn't bother making it.
Instead they just ran with super specific statements like "doesn't let you create professional sounding music tracks", "typically don't have the ability to polish up tracks like paid ones", "Your output will be awesome with this software" and my favourite..."Some free DAWs may have the feature of VST instruments, but they are likely to freeze your computer, or become slow when using multiple features at the same time."

This 'article' may as well say "Just trust me...I can't explain it".
There's an argument to be made in that many free DAWs are limited and, therefore, could potentially limit your workflow, but this person didn't bother making it.
Instead they just ran with super specific statements like "doesn't let you create professional sounding music tracks", "typically don't have the ability to polish up tracks like paid ones", "Your output will be awesome with this software" and my favourite..."Some free DAWs may have the feature of VST instruments, but they are likely to freeze your computer, or become slow when using multiple features at the same time."

In fact the guy has it arse'uppards in one case. Cubase is expensive and resource demanding. Reaper is free/cheap and much more CPU efficient!

Dave.

Would have been may more useful to include Reaper in that list and have a section dedicated to outlining some misconceptions and explaining that a good portion of home-recordists could probably get along just fine with it.

I've said for some time I'm dragging out a super-cheap PT licence that I got about 10 years ago.
PT has cost me something like £80 for that whole time but now I'm stuck on V12, which is starting to show its age.

It's not a terrible place to be stuck, feature wise, but at some point I'll have no choice but to move forward.
Most likely I'll become a Reaper convert that day. (unless Avid want to sponsor me or something... ;) )

Back