what would you upgrade first?

freakkguitarist

i kinda havnt upgraded anything in forever..and its time. but i dont know where i could get the most bang for my buck...

right now at my little home studio www.myspace.com/echoroomproductions
the recording chain usually goes.. drum mics plugged with mogami and monster cables through a crappy snake through a wall into a presonus digimax (blah) then sent to my motu828 via adat. then trigger channels (i record the splats to either open gates or sound replace) go into a nady 8pre(ughhhh) but it doesnt really matter since id be soundreplacing the splats 100% then for my vocal/guitar room going into 2 free inputs on my motu i have a FMR RNP RNC combo...which i dont really like, it just kinda sounds....blah, not bad just nothing special, even my old GTbrick had more "something". the rnp connects to the room via 2 daiseychaned mic cables. all monitored through krk rp8s. i think for what i have i get fairly good sounds. my mic locker only consists of a few 57s, an i5, audix d6, akg d112, shure sm7b, two octava SNCs for everheads, a pair of C1000s, and a shitty groove tubes gt55.

where would YOU improve?

And one of the most overlooked in home studios.

Not just overlooked, but dismissed as unimportant. It kills me when some newbie posts "My mixes suck, what gear should I buy?" and six people say acoustic treatment. Almost without fail said newbie comes back with, "I can't do that because [insert lame excuse]. So back to my question, what gear should I buy next?"

I see this all the time. :D

--Ethan

no, i completly agree with you there ethan, actually i started reading your posts and the information on your site right when i was building the studio :) right now my room is about 12' deep unfortunately, i have 6 15''x3' bass traps made with rockwool sitting 3 inches off my rear wall. that helped alot with my imaging and bass response of the room. i still feel like while im mixing everythings a little blurry. unfortunately my monitors fall almost right in the middle of the room vertically and are very close to concrete walls. its just what my space allows :( and my monitors are pretty budget id say. krk rp8s. id like to upgrade to adam a7s. i havnt been able to listen to them much but when when i heard them last they sounded pretty revealing.

Attachments

• studio-sketch.jpg
    studio-sketch.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 23
Back