What is the reason of distortion in my songs? I do not understand

giuboss

Hi guys,

I need some tips from you:

I have recorded these two instrumental songs (attached below) by using a Korg Krome workstation connected with two TRS cables to a Focus Scarlett 2i22 audio interface which in turn was connected to my laptop.

I used 50% gain in both the canals of the audio interface (line mode) and used Audacity as a recording tool. Despite the program did not detect any clipping, when I heard the mp3 files from VLC player in the both the songs I heard some distortion I did not succeed in deleting in any case. I do not understand what the problem is.

Please could you hear these two songs and tell me what is wrong with them?

I would really appreciate any tip/advice from you

Thanks a lot

Cheers

Giu

Attachments

• RAINBOW BUTTERFLIES.mp3
    4 MB · Views: 13
  • ESCAPE IN A DREAM.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
I'm not hearing any major distortion but it does sound like you over did the levels of each component track. I'm assuming you mixed them all in the workstation then transferred the file at your 50% level setting in one shot? My Korg synth is quite prone to sounding a bit squashed and rough when I have three or four layered sounds all very loud - The internal system can be overloaded, so your level metering and tweaking going into the interface has no impact. You could try recording each part to audacity then doing the mix there?

Thank you very much Rob!

Yes I recorded the songs exactly like you said, already mixed in the workstation. I will try as you recommend, i.e. by recording one part a time and then mix on audacity!

Thank you again!

Giu

Or try just bringing each voice's level down in the synth - same end product and you won't have to mess with sync. However - in the workstation you can adjust EQ, levels, effects, image and loads of other features - so the results usually are better. This will enable some of your parts top sit better too - the bassoon sound I quite liked, but some of the others really need some tweaking. FORGIVE ME - but you would really benefit from recording things like this as MIDI data into a real DAW that can let you handle MIDI. Some of the parts you have need 'de-mechanicalising' I just made that term up, but lots seems very quantised so less real than it could be. A hazard of using the inbuilt sequencers. They're great for dance music and that kind of stuff, but real musicians don't play every note the same length, the same velocity and at the same point in time. In a proper DAW these things can be dealt with easily - inside a synth, you'd die of old age before you get it right.

Thank you again Rob, you have been extremely helpful! I will follow your advice, and let you know!

Cheers

Giu

Back