Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do I do with my Old ALESIS ADAT XTs ???

Thanks

What do I do with my Old ALESIS ADAT XTs ???

Sign in to disable this ad
    My 2 x ALESIS ADAT XT's have been sitting in my rack for the past 15 years since I made the jump to PC/DAW recording. I may transfer my old ADAT tapes to DAW, but after that, what am I supposed to do with them? I see a ton of them on ebay for $150 to $400 but I don't know if people are buying them. Are people actually buying these?
    I would hate to have to take the previous heart and soul of my 90's recording studio to the electronics re-cycler and just dump them in a bin full of old VCR's and fax machines. But maybe that's just the reality.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Ray

Thanks
    I replaced my 3 with an HD24 when they came out and the ADATs went to land fill six years ago. Not a single bid on Ebay with a starting price of 40 pounds. Perfect working order. I scrapped them with great sadness. The HD24 I gave to a friend on loan 7 years ago, and had forgot about it until reading your post. It's very, very sad. Back in the late 90s, they got so much use, but now they're dinosaurs I'm afraid.

Thanks
    I have a room full of old stuff, reel to reels, every format, DAT machines, Cassette decks, I just keep it all because it's not worth anything. Its handy if someone wants to transfer some old stuff, if they stop working thats the end. I just had a call from someone that wants to retrieve a 16 track recording from 17 years ago, we will see shortly if the 16 still works and the tape actually plays LOL

Alan.

Thanks
    I seriously don't think I have the heart to just take them to the re-cycler. To this day I still smile when I press EJECT on the master and both tapes eject at the same time .......... so fancy !!! Maybe I will bronze them and hang them on the wall.
    Ironically, my FOSTEX R8 - 1/4" 8 Track still has value. A local reel to reel refurbisher offered me $200 for it "as-is".
    I wonder if my YAMAHA MT1X 4 track has any value ??? Doubt it.

Thanks
    Hang on to them, if it’s like a lot of other gear, someone will do something cool with them, then everyone will be buying them up. lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    ADATs went to land fill six years ago. Not a single bid on Ebay with a starting price of 40 pounds. Perfect working order. I scrapped them with great sadness. .
    I see this kinda thing all the time and wonder if it's an ego thing or something. Craigslist ads do this. Here's my bottom dollar and if I don't get it, I'm gonna throw the thing away! Don't get me wrong, i've done much the same in my past, but that was before i tuned into repurposing and charitable giving and the like.

I'm certain there's some up-and-coming teen or twenty that could use a multitrack platform because their Mom won't buy them that nice laptop. It might not get MUCH use, but it's better than the landfill. And no, I don't care two whiffs about the landfill - they're invariably the iceberg tip of a mismanaged municipal bureaucracy - it's just the idea of discarding fine crystal that's no longer fashionable.

ADATs are very highly unlikely to ever be worth anything ever again. Not as ADATs. Not as recorders. No one will ever be looking for "that ADAT sound" as the transparency is too great. No one will be looking for "that ADAT look" to impress a client. Like many old ROMplers of the same era, they have been completely superceded in every metric on every side by newer, usually software-based, products because that's how much technology sped up during that decade.

I have a few pieces I might make into coffee tables, office furniture, or something. If I could find a 19" refrigerator, I'd cut off several faceplates and make a new door for one. I dunno. Most pieces from that era are good for what they were.... or decoration. Not much else.

Thanks
    I'd hang on to them. You never know, you might make more money by running a "will digitize your adat tapes" ad than you'd get selling them.

You could gut em and re use the rack case for something. Compressor?

Put up on ebay some parts, someone has got to have a broken one.
    People make more $ parting out discontinued electronics.

What ever you do is your thing.

Me, I hate this disposable society. If you can't use it, re purpose it, mod it, rob parts for some other use, ect.... that's my philosophy

Thanks
    I actually would like to place the adats on a road and run over them with a big truck. They ruined the recording industry when they came out. I had just bought a brand new good sounding 16 track tape machine then the adat came along and everyone wanted studios with inferior sounding Adats as it was Digital and digital is best Everyone that rang the studio "do you have Adats?"

Alan.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to witzendoz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I kinda feel like I wasted my money on these ADATs. I wish I could have held out another couple of years and made the jump directly from Analog tape to PC/DAW. I only used them for maybe less than 3 years. I still have 6 brand new tapes in the shrink rap (will sell cheap!!). I guess it was just all part of the evolution process that we all had to go through. I can remember arguing with my friends saying "I'll never record on a computer. That's just stupid" Who knew ????

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raybbj View Post
    I kinda feel like I wasted my money on these ADATs. I wish I could have held out another couple of years and made the jump directly from Analog tape to PC/DAW. I only used them for maybe less than 3 years. I still have 6 brand new tapes in the shrink rap (will sell cheap!!). I guess it was just all part of the evolution process that we all had to go through. I can remember arguing with my friends saying "I'll never record on a computer. That's just stupid" Who knew ????
    ADATs were key in my transitions and learning path
    Analog 8 track, then Fostex RD-8 time code chase the analog deck --and ADAT maintenance of course.. :>) Then a second Fostex... and on to the DAW.

And 'No f**king moving parts! ..Finally

Anyone wants a T/C ADAT.. call me. It was well maintained ...probably still works.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thread Information