What do I do with my Old ALESIS ADAT XTs ???

Same here. I learned my lesson the hard way.
So I have about 20 feet of rack space with more-or-less worthless gear in it. Nope. Not gonna try to sell it. Been down that road.
I'll keep my ear to the ground and see if there's some energetic youth that wants to make some noise.
Or I'll get out the chopsaw and start making "art".
Or some kind of repurposing.
But it took a long time to escape the denial that it might be worth something.

Still in all.. it performs identically to how it did years ago when new. And that wasn't a bad product. So I'll just plod on with what i've got for awhile longer.

Same here. I learned my lesson the hard way.
So I have about 20 feet of rack space with more-or-less worthless gear in it. Nope. Not gonna try to sell it. Been down that road.
I'll keep my ear to the ground and see if there's some energetic youth that wants to make some noise
Or I'll get out the chopsaw and start making "art".
Or some kind of repurposing.
But it took a long time to escape the denial that it might be worth something.

Still in all.. it performs identically to how it did years ago when new. And that wasn't a bad product. So I'll just plod on with what i've got for awhile longer.

:>)

By the way.. It's Yoot ..the word you're looking for..

YouTube

Hi,
People made great records on ADATs back in the day. Despite the adat. The transport is very hated. The heads can get messed up too. However, if you use the ADAT for AD conversion it will be useful.

I had a ADAT or two, VCR tapes , another technology chasing format for me.
before others and after many...compared to a DAW there doesn't seem much to praise about it.
Tape...rewinding, 8tracks...I even bought the Alesis Mixing board for it that was pretty much cheap plastic.

Not needing more than 8track for HR hobby, the MiniDisc replaced it I think? or a Roland ZIP disc...around the smaller DAT Tape that didn't last long. Then the Hardrive disc recording and finally the DAW and nothings changed since really, and I aint complaining.

here 2010:

Almost as soon as the Alesis ADAT began shipping in 1992, it gained enormous popularity as the first affordable 8-track digital audio recorder. Thousands were sold before its eventual obsolescence.

For years, the promise of affordable, digital multitrack recording was just that: a promise. Everyone knew in the late ''80s that digital would be the next big thing, but until Alesis shipped the Alesis Digital Audio Tape (ADAT) recorder in 1992, digital multitracks were beyond the average musician''s financial reach. If you wanted 24 tracks of digital, you would have to pay more than $60,000 for any of several systems guaranteed to become obsolete in the very near future.

When the ADAT appeared, the promise became a reality; $3,995 got you eight tracks of 16-bit, 48kHz recording on easy-to-find Super VHS (S-VHS) tape running at three times VHS'' normal speed. With the right skills, musicians everywhere could suddenly afford the kind of quality previously available only to pro recording studios. Soon, the terms project studio and digital audio workstation (DAW) became part of the recording lexicon.

My old racks had little interest on ebay apart from the compressors - they all went. The Tascam cassette machine got fixed with new belts but the Akai sampler had no interest at all. Sad. The 2 original ADATs and the Mk 2 version made hardly any money at all because shipping was so expensive. Still, they've all gone now.

Back