What is the diff between "software" monitoring and "hardware" monitoring/????

Alchemist3k

What is the diff between "software" monitoring and "hardware" monitoring/????

I am dumbfounded as to what the difference is? All I know is that with a very fast PC and an M Audio Delta 6 card I get noticable latency when I play an instrument into my Omni IO when software monitoring is switched on and no latency at all when it is of?

I suspect that switchiong it off bypasses the monitor signal going through the software and the input of my card goes straight to the output hence no latency. If I am right why would anyone want to put software montorig on? What is is for?

youve pretty much got it.

Once you tweek most of your latency out.. ts useful to hear closer to EXACTLY what your computer is recording. Despite arguments to the contrary... your comp adds noise and flavor to your sound... so if you monitor "software" style... maybe also known as "post-tape" you hear what it hears... if you use a mixer.. you can assign your monitor outs to faders.. and mix away with out messing up your nice hot levels. Get the perfect monitor mix, and lay some dope tracks. You can also listen to see if you have any distortion or othe artifacts AFTER the hardware monitoring loop point.....

BUT if youre good.. you can use Hardware monitoring and do all that, too..

Better yet.. diable it all.. use a mixer... and use your MIXER to monitor.

xoxo

Ah right... I kind of get it now.. wierdly after doing some PC tweaking I dont seem to get the delay anymore even with software monitoring on. I highly recommend the tascam page which had those tweaks.

Back