• Ableton

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FL Studio

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • other

Votes: 44 12.6%

• Total voters
I'm still rocking ProTools.
I love that it does everything I want it to do and does it well, but my wallet doesn't like the look of their new pricing system.

May be learning Reaper in the near future....we'll see.

I have been a Cubase guy since I bought my first home interface that came with a limited version of it. Cubase LE4.

I worked in a studio with Protools DH setup and was not happy with the way it worked. It was cool to move forward from the Digital 8 Bus (D8B with DA 88's) crap we were using, but it left a bad taste in my head. Maybe I was just annoyed...

Whatever feels comfortable to the user is what is likely best. They all have the same capability as far as I know.
The type of music being recorded or created will be more the deciding factor. Some work better for other genres or styles. Cubase likely has the best VST drum editor tho.

Pretty sure they all have demo versions. I tried Reaper and we just didn't get along. But I was already using Cubase so...

I don't recommend Cubase to others because I am not a fanboy of the product. I just got on with it myself. I do recommend it for friends if they want me to help them out free tho....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recommend Cubase to others because I am not a fanboy of the product.

I should have said, I'm the same with PT.
I think it's too expensive and generally don't recommend it but I got a ridiculously good long term deal which, unfortunately, just ran out. :(

I should have said, I'm the same with PT.
I think it's too expensive and generally don't recommend it but I got a ridiculously good long term deal which, unfortunately, just ran out. :(

The dark side of the force has controlled you. Come to the light side Paul! lol!

I am still using a Tascam MX2424 hard disk recorder and the MX View software. When I export and mix on a DAW (which I sometimes do when not using the analog console) I am still using Sony Vegas as I know it inside out (I know it is for film editing, but before this back in the sonic foundry days it was a music software that could do film, I started on version B, god I am getting old LOL). Also use Magix Sequoia for mastering.

All this will change soon as I have been trying out Reaper, Presonus Studio, and Harrison Mixbus, but before I can change over I need to train myself up so that the client is not sitting around while I try to find out how it works LOL, this when I get time, did I say get time LOL. The change over will happen when the Windows 10 machine is built.

Alan.

I'm using Nuendo. I bought in when there was a big difference between it and cubase, and just kept upgrading. If I knew then what I know now, I would have just gone with cubase.

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and sometimes Audition 3.0 for mixing. There is a built in fearture in CEP that no one else has that's worth its weight in gold. Its called "check this box to automatically correct for track DRIFT" which makes sure your separately recorded tracks are always in sync with each other, from start to finish. It's the most valuable feature I have ever seen. Even the newer Audition versions do not have it. In Adobes infinite wisdom they took it when the went to an all ASIO/USB driven platform, and with USB latency problems I would think it would prove to be very useful.

Reaper all the way. Has nothing to do with the price. Works perfect with my Zoom R24 and thousands of plug ins. We a-b'd Reaper vs Pro Tools and no audible difference. Mixed down both and let other listeners decide. 6 folks... 3 and 3. So... a draw.

I have a Pro Control and I'm stuck at Pro Tools 10 since Avid no longer supports the device.

Users - DAW

Reason 9

Simman Pro Control and PT10
Broken_H Reason
williamleo Reaper
moptop Cool Edit Pro 2.0
Farview Nuendo
witzendoz Tascam MX2424 w/MX View software
jimmys69 Cubase
Steenamaroo PT12
helloradio PT
MichB Abelton
drtechno Reaper
ClausRogge Ardour 5.8
thewonders Samplitude
mactreouser Logic Pro X
patsplat Samplitude Pro X3
junplugged Reaper
big jilm Garageband
cavedog101 PT HD
Jimham70 Studio One Pro 3.2
rmp5s Reason
TAE Reaper
garww Magix
andruskit Studio One
bulevardi Magix Samplitude Music Studio 2015
asulger Ardour 5.x
gvdv GarageBand
Coquet-Shack Sampltiude Pro X3
david baker Sonar
iqi616 Reaper
fuzzsniffvoyage Sonar
hardwire666 Reason
jimistone Cubase
Kash Meer Cubase Pro 8
SoundCard Reaper
CrowsofFritz Reason

Last edited:
Still using Reason 8. Haven't hit the button for 9 yet. Love the 9000J mixbus. Love the fact that I can rewire any of the rack extensions (plug-ins) just by flipping the rack around and moving cables (REAL WORLD, BABY!)
Love that I can control external midi with it now (was not available in previous versions). Love how simple it is to record, edit, move, stretch, etc. Just a fun environment.
Do NOT love that I can't use third party extensions and etc. Still need to go to Reaper for SSD and I'm slowly learning enough to work with what I've recorded in Reason so I might be able to get over there for my mastering projects.

Hey, Manslick. What REs you use, and which do you really like?
The C1-L1 is amazing, I use it a bunch, but that's the only RE I've really been impressed by...although I love what I can do to my voice with Polar. Neptune is acceptable, but maybe I'm not using it to it's potential. Haven't really found a decent limiter: have Ozone Maximizer (don't like at all) and the Onyx 430i Tube (which I use a lot, but am not completely sold on)...
One thing I really like is two click parallel channels. Use the crap out of those. I like to use an audio splitter to take the parallel from my vocal bus to several different C1-L1s on other busses to cut lots of instruments subtly and make a nice space for the vocal.

Hey Ken, I use the Amplifikation Creme guitar and bass RE and it is my fav.
I use the EVE-MP5 eq sometimes.
I have the 3 McDSP comps that I use sometimes. I got the Carve EQ ducker for a specific application and haven't used it since. Softube saturation knob.
I find the SSL emulation in the mixer does a good job for me. If I need a synth I go to Thor or the NNXT. Using Dr. OctoRex a lot these days.
When they added audio recording I became totally in the box.
With the addition of monophonic pitch editing I am satisisfied.
I've only used Reason and a Tascam 2488.
Yeah I agree, the interface is just plain fun.

williamleo Reaper
moptop Cool Edit Pro 2.0
Farview Nuendo
jimmys69 Cubase
Steenamaroo PT
BroKen_H Reason 8
Manslick Reason 9

Still using Studio One Pro 3.2
Got it because of its mastering suite and now I do everything else in it too.

williamleo Reaper
moptop Cool Edit Pro 2.0
Farview Nuendo
jimmys69 Cubase
Steenamaroo PT
BroKen_H Reason 8
Manslick Reason 9

Nice, keeping a tally! :)

I didn't think to mention version number. I'm on PT 12.

Reaper here. No problems, Im getting to where its my main media player too. drag and drop the file in reaper and its better consistency in playing original format.

Wow...I had no idea REAPER was that popular! That's kinda surprising.

It really is fantastic though. Come for the $60 price tag. Stay for the kick ass DAW!

Oh, and I occasionally use Reason. I don't really like its usability (like...why wouldn't hitting "home" take the play head back to the start of the track? smh) but it's really good for some things like sampling and working with MIDI.

I use the Reaper...I barley scratch the surface of it's power...it get's me tracks down and I can play around and mix them to my liking..

Damn it Jim! I am a musician not a recording engineer! I'm doing the best that I can!

Reaper just has a ton of good karma flowing in and around it, from inception by Justin to it's current version which is the result of thousands of users input and hundreds of developers efforts to take it to where it is today. Wish I'd been more active using it earlier but really enjoy it's simplicity in getting things done....and the price is damn fair.

Back