Votes: 41 11.8%
  • Ableton

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FL Studio

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • other

Votes: 44 12.6%

• Total voters
It's now been a week since I put a Cubase support ticket into Steinberg because I accidentally deleted the new online Cubase licence for the install at the other studio. I even sent a reminder one and nothing! First time since 1996 that Steinberg have let me down. Probably too old to consider changing now!
Looks like they have moved on since I installed Cubase 11. I believe my licence is on my PC. I hate it when they mess about with these things.
Don't get me started on dongles.

They've just stopped dongles - Cubase 11 was dongle security but 12 is not and uses an online licensing system that appears similar to Adobe's. The electronic elicenser still exists for older versions of Cubase and the synths samplers and tools like Spectral Layers that I have. I was quite impressed with the new system, but wrecked everything when an option to convert licences appeared and even though it warned that local licences would be deleted, I clicked yes - nothing then worked, even worse, when I turned on Cubase 12 on my 'big' machine, it too had lost ALL licences. I restored the elicences and Cubase 12 on that machine (phew) but the office system is still dead until Steinberg permit me to add it. The snag is that you are limited to 2 machine, and by me removing the licence it won't go back on! Adobe allow any number of computer installations but a maximum of two operating. Cubase is not that clever - it just licences the installations, not use.

But, by moving to online licences, that means you have to be connected to the internet for cubase to work.
I do not have broadband at home, just a tiny sliver of internet on my phone, which I don't want eaten up by Windows 10.

I'm still rocking ProTools.
I love that it does everything I want it to do and does it well, but my wallet doesn't like the look of their new pricing system.

May be learning Reaper in the near future....we'll see.
Same here. But I have a perpetual license that goes up as far as ProTools 12.5.2, which I have gotten to work with everything up through Monterey, using a couple little workarounds. But I'm so tired of them changing the format of plug-ins simply to force people to buy new ones that are compatible. Also, I mistakenly did a trial of a newer version of plug-ins which voided my perpetual license of the versions I had because I did not new my subscription. I didn't read the fine print and they screwed me. So yes, I too am about to learn Reaper, and I'm looking into skinning it like ProTools, and installing some scripts that change the commands and menus to be more like ProTools because my brain knows ProTools. But after purchasing versions of five through 12, and going through six different interfaces that should still work but were made obsolete for no reason other than to force people to buy new hardware, I'm getting fed up with both them at Apple. Reaper on Ubuntu studios looking good to me now. I have a friend who is a professor at Berkeley College and he recommended it

But, by moving to online licences, that means you have to be connected to the internet for cubase to work.
I do not have broadband at home, just a tiny sliver of internet on my phone, which I don't want eaten up by Windows 10.
For optimal performance it is ill-advised to have your Internet connection on, especially Wi-Fi, while running a DAW. I'm surprised they don't offer an ilok, or Device ID– based license

I've been using studio one. Found it intuitive to use.
Really? that is one that I'm considering along with reaper. Have you ever used ProTools, if so, how would you compare the two? I've been using ProTools for so long that anything else's like looking at hieroglyphics to me. probably worse actually

Hard to go wrong with Reaper on Linux, if you can get everything set up the way you like.
To be fair I think there was only really one major plugin format change with Avid in the last decade (or maybe more?) - The move to AAX but, still, point taken.

I managed to get a perpetual license 1 year updates while they were still available so I've brought myself bang up to date with PT on M1 mac,
so I'm still happy but still picture myself ending up on Reaper, some day.

subscriptions and licensing gives me a head ache .. i remember whan you could buy something , get it in the mail , open the box and use it for years without hassle ... " updates " lets change how your system works to benefit data mining ... i mean service aaah

Using old computers is a way to go. Especially for daw as software was good 10 years ago
yeah i resisted upgrading for almost 10 years .. had the same Daw , interface , speakers and pc on win 7 ... then 64bit came around ... and about 30k later found my self with stuff that im really happy with .. and hoping to ride that for another 10 years lol

Great to see Reaper polling so highly. I use others for their instruments - Sequoia, FL Studio, Reason, Mixcraft and Ableton - but for recording it has to be Reaper. The routing matrix is brilliant; I use a Fostex VF16 and VF160 for recording and then into computer with an M-Audio 2626 sound card allowing 8 channel ADAT transfers between each machine and Reaper. I can route any track to any of the 32 tracks available across the 2 machines and that allows a lot of freedom. The 2 Fostex's are synched together so I effectively have a 32 track recording system which Reaper handles beautifully. The routing on other DAWs is great too but I just find Reaper to be "the one" for me

Great to see Reaper polling so highly. I use others for their instruments - Sequoia, FL Studio, Reason, Mixcraft and Ableton - but for recording it has to be Reaper. The routing matrix is brilliant; I use a Fostex VF16 and VF160 for recording and then into computer with an M-Audio 2626 sound card allowing 8 channel ADAT transfers between each machine and Reaper. I can route any track to any of the 32 tracks available across the 2 machines and that allows a lot of freedom. The 2 Fostex's are synched together so I effectively have a 32 track recording system which Reaper handles beautifully. The routing on other DAWs is great too but I just find Reaper to be "the one" for me
I am using Cakewalk but a complete novice with DAW so we will see how it goes. It seems that Reaper is the one that more knowledgable people seem to go for.

I believe Dan Worrall uses reaper , so thats a pretty big thumbs up imo.

I've tired, since this topic started, a couple of new ones to me. Cubase still has me because being honest, I doubt it is best, but it just suits how I learned to work, all those years ago. Different DAWs lead newcomers down different paths, and then if you get good and creative - why would you change? Perhaps we needed a topic on DAWs people have dumped, and why their new ones are better?

Back