• Ableton

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • FL Studio

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • other

Votes: 44 12.6%

• Total voters
What bugs?

I can't say specifically what 'bug'. All I can tell you is that I've used a multitude of software over the last 30 years, and you get a feel for when things don't work quite the way you expect them to, and accept that.

Overall, it's a solid program. But like any piece of software, they can and will have issues. I'd go back to a reel to reel if they weren't so overpriced. I do like the convenience and abilities of computer recording though.

Been using Power Tracks by Pro Audio for years. Being the only DAW I've worked with, I'm comfortable with it and I get great results.

The first poll was created in 2006 and this one was created in 2016, some seven years ago. Maybe we need a newer one since, as the OP stated, so much has changed.

I'd do it myself . . . but I don't know how. :unsure:

The first poll was created in 2006 and this one was created in 2016, some seven years ago. Maybe we need a newer one since, as the OP stated, so much has changed.

I'd do it myself . . . but I don't know how. :unsure:
Neither do I but then I really don't see the point? Those of us (and I really mean my son here*) who have been using the same DAW for a decade or more are very comfortable with it and are likely to tell any noob that asks that &*&^% is the best DAW since bread cum cut.

Then, AFAICT DAWs, even free ones, today are very competent and reliable and there is very little to chose between them.

My advice to the uninitiated would be to install Audacity and Reaper and work the A off them until you know them well. Then come back here perhaps and say "AFAICT Reaper cannot/does not do XYZ. Can someone suggest a DAW that does?"

*He HAS been using Samplitude ProX3 for many years and lesser versions for a long time before that. He has only just come to Reaper because HE finds it does some "MIDI stuff" better than Sam.

Dave.

It's been suggested to me, that I use Reaper... Since what I know about any DAW is NOTHING, it may just as well be a great place to start. If I have a song in reaper, can I play it & listen to what needs changed or deleted...? Make volume changes & can it be downloaded as a song & sent to be recorder for listening...

Yep - thr snag here is not what they can do. They are all really clever and proficient nowadays. The differences are personal. Best advice is to download the demos and have a play. You might hate how one works and love another. It's really how they interface with your way of working. Somebody who produces one style of music might love X, but somebody else would hate it. I don't think people can advise others on this, because I'd say Cubase, but look at the vote - Reaper is out in front, so def download that and have a play. If you download something and to you - it's intuitive and you can get going and record something and play it back, that's good. Cubase is too damn complicated sometimes for people who don't think in the old fashioned way.

What is certain is that whatever you start with you will probably not swap. Changing DAWs is really painful and frustrating, so try a few and then jump in.

What is certain is that whatever you start with you will probably not swap. Changing DAWs is really painful and frustrating, so try a few and then jump in.

So far I've changed DAWs twice - or maybe three times if you count MIDI too. I was looking at more expensive systems like Sadie and Soundscape before discovering the Turtle Beach and SAW combination which was around a third of the price of Sadie. It was primitive but, compared to tape editing, it allowed you to do things that would be extremely difficult on tape. I then added Digital Orchestrator Plus to allow me to combine audio with MIDI - mainly as a Windows MIDI sequencer which happened to do audio as well.

After a while it became obvious that SAW was forging its own path away from the mainstream so I moved to Cool Edit Pro. This gave me more tracks, third party plug-ins and more versatility. Cool Edit Pro was later bought by Adobe and rebranded as Audition. For a while all went well but then Adobe released Version 2 of Audition. This was a bit of a disaster. It was released prematurely to meet a marketing deadline and then never fixed. Version 3 was actually much better but came too late for me.

At the same time as Audition 2 was giving trouble, Reaper appeared. It worked in a very similar way to Audition but was much more reliable and cheaper to buy. I moved over and have stayed ever since. I still use Audition occasionally as a stereo editor but much less now that I also have the RX editor.

It's been suggested to me, that I use Reaper... Since what I know about any DAW is NOTHING, it may just as well be a great place to start. If I have a song in reaper, can I play it & listen to what needs changed or deleted...? Make volume changes & can it be downloaded as a song & sent to be recorder for listening...
One really nice thing about Reaper is that there are HUNDREDS of videos on how to do just about anything. Need to know how to export your song? Its out there. How to use EQ or pan changes? Yup. How to invert a signal and send it to an effects send? The demo is there. The ReaperMania channel on Youtube is a goldmine of information. It's as simple as putting "how do I ....... in Reaper" into Google and you'll get your answers.

Some people say it's too "complicated" and they don't need all those capabilities. The answer is to just use what you need. If basic volume, pan, EQ and reverb is all you need, then just use that.

For my 60th birthday I got my best mate, sadly no longer with us, to build me a pretty decent desktop. He had a small computer and general TV repair shop. Rich was bit of a lovable rouge and when I got the computer I found he had installed a crack version of Audition 1.5 on it. Son and I used the software on and off for years and found it very comprehensive but we were already well used to Samplitude and use of A 1.5 declined. I still have it on a W7 laptop. Only crack I have ever had.

Some people say it's too "complicated" and they don't need all those capabilities. The answer is to just use what you need. If basic volume, pan, EQ and reverb is all you need, then just use that.
Exactly that. it's only as complicated as you want to make it. It's so customizable that you can do almost anything with it. I've been using it for about 10 years and I'm sure I haven't even touched 5% of what it can do.

Exactly that. it's only as complicated as you want to make it. It's so customizable that you can do almost anything with it. I've been using it for about 10 years and I'm sure I haven't even touched 5% of what it can do.
I think this statement is true for most people and the DAW(s) they uses.

I recently bought an Akai MPK MiniMK3 controller which came with MPC Beats. I liked the Beats software so much that I upgraded to the full MPC version.

I have been using Reaper, which is a good DAW but it has too many ways to do the same thing (IMO). I like the midi capabilities of MPC.

I've been using SawStudio for a long time and I love it. As a matter of fact I started with SawPlus, SawPlus32, SawPro before SawStudio. It is extremely powerful for editing and it was all written in machine language.
Todd

Back