What DAW do you use?

What DAW do you use ??

• Total voters
Cubase 6.5 Artist is my main DAW because my PC is more powerful than my Mac. I still use Logic Express 9 for some midi stuff, which I just bounce to my Cubase.

at the studio it's pro tools.
at home , it'll be either digital performer 5, or cubase 5. or logic pro 8. I have pro tools at home, but I rarely use it.
we have cubase at the studio but most customers want pro tools , for compatibility reaons.

it doesn't really matter though.. a lot of the better home recordings I've had a chance to listen to, was done on reaper.

I use Pro Tools, Sonar X1, and Studio One 2. Primarily Pro Tools, because that's what the studios I've interned/went to used... I figured since it's a standard, if I started working as an assistant engineer, I'd best learn it.
Plus I'm getting Avid certified... Not really sure if that'll ACTUALLY be a benefit, but hey, you can search me on Avid.com. That's pretty cool. xD
I started on Sonar X1, then worked with Studio One, now I'm with Pro Tools. Honestly, I don't know who was in charge of making Pro Tools the "studio standard," but I should visit them and have a talk with them...

I bought a new Mac for audio work at home and I thought I would try getting used to Pro Tools MP, as it came with the M-Audio interface I also bought. So far I just don't feel much for structure and interface and general useability of PT and I much prefer Cubase which I will probably go back to, though I have been recommended Reaper by a few experienced broadcast guys I know.

I lost a seagate maximus 500G / 7200 rpm 2.5 in. SATA hard drive , taking with it , my Win 7 Operating system. This drive replaced the original (5400 rpm) which I formated as an External back-up for my project files ; stupidly deleting the original C: and D: partitions to maximize storage space. After a depressing few days I recalled an open source , free O.S. called "Umbuntu" . I installed it's latest 64 - bit ( amd ) wersion and to my amazement , an open source DAW was offered Named " Ardour " - cost: FREE!! I use the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface ( which , I later found out has audio path issues related to the combination of Win 7 and Intel's i3 and i5 processors gen. 1 & 2. ( Which I was experiencing.) By the way , Cakewalk Music Creator 6 was my DAW of choice. Ardour (free) is far superior to my MC 6 and rivals almost all of the " High End " ( high dollar ) workstations I've seen out there- did I mention IT'S FREE!! along with FREE!! LADSPA and LV2 Plug-in suites by Harrison and Calf Industries. SUITES!! with sidechain compressors and audio spectrum analysers , Limiters ect. ALL FREE!! My Focusrite works now without issue and the overall sound quality has noticeably improved. PLUS! my recording latency has been reduced to an imperceivable .23 msec!!! Did I mention it's all FREE!!? - thank you Seagate for building crappy drives. I would still be Ignorant, Poor and producing vastly inferior tracks while I spent my money chasing audio rainbows. UMBUNTU, LINUX, ARDOUR, FREE .- Repeat

Works on my PC-BSD laptop as well ... you´re invited to make a donation every time you export audio but if you choose not to do so, export works anyway.

It's great that there are so many programs for everyone to find their personal favorite. Personally I use PT9 for everything. I use Logic Pro as well, but for sequencing only. I found that when I switched over from the tape world many years ago, PT was so seamless and the interface felt familiar. So recording and mixing on PT were exactly the same as mixing on an analogue console.

Logic is extremely useful and powerful. I actually used it before PT in my home studio, but there were too many complicated steps for easy tasks. Thankfully it's something they have steadily worked on since v4.

It's very interesting to see the number of people who voted. I never see any of their posts!

I have every used DAW on this list and more, except Cool Edit.

Now, I use Garageband, Reason, and Digital Performer.

EDIT: I have used every DAW on this. I don't want people to think I'm a pirate! :D

Last edited:
ProTools. As buggy as it can be, I've been using it for over a decade so I don't see any reason to re-climb the learning curve on different software.

I prefer Fl studio because it is so easy to use. But when I started getting a little more experience i started using Cubase heavy.

FL Studio (when the computer is working).

Strictly speaking, I don't need all of it's capabilities but it is a fantastic program. Audacity would be adequate for audio books but FL gives me the ability to easily create electronic scores, using the powerful piano roll with no musical knowledge. I have tons of effects and mastering tools all in one handy package and with it's life time free updates, it was well worth the money. Something I can grow into, as I learn more about music creation. So far, it's been ideal for creating background music and atmospheres (weather, creaky doors, industrial soundscapes, etc) for my plays.

I use pro tools express and i love it. Very versatile, and for a couple hundred bucks you get one of the largest and more robust DAWs with a high quality audio interface. Great way to get started, and you can always upgrade, or take your pro tools express session to a professional recording studio and use Pro Tools HD.

Good luck!

Back