What DAW do you use?

What DAW do you use ??

• Total voters
Logic Pro for the amazing MIDI interface. Granted, I primarily use my studio for MIDI orchestrations, but I also use it to record, mix and master live audio for myself and clients.

Reason. I've been using it since v1.0. I look at it more as a hardware suite rather than a sequencing/mixing suite (though I feel those features have improved immensely over time). I can't really compare it to too many other DAWs, but I haven't seen anything as graphically rich and intuitive as this platform...intuitive if you understand patching rack mounted gear. The mastering used to be very weak and in the early days I used Acid. Now much of the functionality that you find in mainstream mastering software is available directly in Reason.

When I bought reason I got rid of all my analog gear except my Korg Poly 800 - for sentimental reasons :)

I am really digging Ableton. Since I record and compose at the same time, the session view allows me to take ideas and just pop them in and then at some point start to lay it down in arrangement view to create a song. It really has helped me view music and song creation really different. Plus I like the fact it is also a live tool as well.

I have Reaper, but I am not using it much, it is a good tool, but I seem to stay with Ableton more that Reaper at the moment.

ProTools. Really great for audio editing

I'm not quite sure what Pro Tools has to offer over any other DAW at this point in time. The same could be said for Reaper, Cubase, Sonar or etc. Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers :)

I'm not quite sure what Pro Tools has to offer over any other DAW at this point in time. The same could be said for Reaper, Cubase, Sonar or etc. Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers :)

The poll made it come up...

From my limited experience, editing is no easier than Cubase. Just different. In fact, I found it a pain in the ass.

The fact that you could import a Protools session into almost any 'pro' studio (I use that term loosely) is the only endearing feature I can see myself. No offense to friends that use Protools, but it just does not work for me. Besides, most 'pro' studios that give a shit have Cubase as well.

The poll made it come up...

From my limited experience, editing is no easier than Cubase. Just different. In fact, I found it a pain in the ass.

The fact that you could import a Protools session into almost any 'pro' studio (I use that term loosely) is the only endearing feature I can see myself. No offense to friends that use Protools, but it just does not work for me. Besides, most 'pro' studios that give a shit have Cubase as well.

Protools! Protools! Protools! :D

Protools Logic and Ableton Live - the range of instruments and effects that come with Logic are great and Protools has always sucked for MIDI - but Protools is fast and simple to use once you're up to speed with the shortcuts

I use sonar x2,.I started off using a Yamaha MSX Music computer back in 1989! and a fosteck 4 track tape recorder, followed by an alesis mmt8 Then around 1997 got Cakewalk pro which was a massive leap for me. I upgraded to Sonar 6 and used it to play live which was not using it to it's full potential as I only really played midi files with some audio, but I also used it to control a guitar amp, volume patch changes etc. It all worked well as long as the laptop didn't crash. After retiring from playing live I got sonar x2.and just recently found the time to use it to it's full potential.
I've never tried the other Daw's I think because I was so used to old style sequencers cakewalk was more than enough for me.

Back