What daw do y'all use?

what is the best daw in your opinion??
What daw do y'all use?
The best DAW doesn't yet exist.
I use a standalone DAW, an Akai DPS 12i. I also use Cubase 5 essentials to house my VSTIs {virtual instruments}. At some point I'm going to experiment with mixing a song in Cubase but right now I'm more than happy with the Akai.
It's all much of a muchness.

The answer will in part lie with what operating system you use.

I use openSUSE (a Linux OS), which restricts choice for hardware and software. My DAW of choice is Ardour.

A new-ish commercial DAW for Linux, OSX and Windows is Harrison Mixbus - harrisonconsoles.com - Mixbus

Have fun!

Paul

I use Cubase, because an LE version came with the first interface I bought when I first got serious about trying to record stuff. If I bought an mbox, it'd be protools. They all do pretty much the same stuff, whatever you learn on will do the job once you know how to do the basic stuff.

I use Cubase, because an LE version came with the first interface I bought when I first got serious about trying to record stuff. If I bought an mbox, it'd be protools. They all do pretty much the same stuff, whatever you learn on will do the job once you know how to do the basic stuff.

I got the m-audio and got a pro tools disc with it and the disc didn't work..

I use Cubase for the exact same reason. It came with a soundcard like 10 years ago and it's all I know now. I always recommend Reaper, though. Hopefully some day I'll get around to making the switch.

edit: And to the Linux guy: Have you tried Reaper in Wine? It's supposed to work pretty flawlessly - one of their programmers actually spends time making sure it does.

I use Studio One. Partly because of the same reason as most here; it came with my interface. But I actually bought the interface, knowing that I would end up using Studio One. I also have Reaper if ever I need to use it. I'd love to get Cubase on here too, as it's a DAW I really know and love to work with. If I had a Mac, I'd want Logic. Same reason as Cubase, I already know and love it. But Studio One is the next gen DAW. I really see it eventually taking over the role of Pro Tools within the next few years. Easy to work with and constantly devloping greater things to add to it. It's not all that expensive compared to a lot of other DAWs either.

edit: And to the Linux guy: Have you tried Reaper in Wine? It's supposed to work pretty flawlessly - one of their programmers actually spends time making sure it does.

I have heard this, but haven't tried it. I have my Echo Audiofire8 working quite stably with low latency with FFADO / JACK, so it could be worth a play. Thanks for reminding me!

Paul

Back