What am I doing wrong with AutoTune? (this is not a "just learn to sing" thing)

madh0us3

What am I doing wrong with AutoTune? (this is not a "just learn to sing" thing)

Ok, not familiar with autotune at all, but I've been kicking around an idea for a while of using a few lines of computer-rendered speech, the more robotic the better, and then after stretching and spacing the wording out to fit the tempo.. then running it through AutoTune to make it "sing".

I had visions in my head of running it through autotune and then just midi-mapping it all out but it hasn't worked like that. I know how to do the VST and everything (I use reaper), that's not the problem. I went to the graphical display in (antares) auto tune and figured out how to get it to show the graphical display of it, but dragging what I'm seeing up and down has resulted in no change whatsoever. Plus the part I can drag around isn't the nice graph I expected but looks more like a random smattering.

Is there something I'm overlooking here? Or am I expecting too much from autotune? I also tried G-Snap and was able to make that work to a point, but there's no way in that one to map it out word by word that I could see.

For how much AutoTune is I expected something far more intuitive and powerful. There's got to be something I'm overlooking here.

I should have mentioned that I haven't been using Reaper long. Do I need to make a separate track and have the one track send to the other or something?

I'm fairly sure that my inexperience with Reaper is what's causing this.

You have to scan the audio through Auto-Tune first, I forget what the process is called in the program but you run through the song with Auto-Tune basically taking an imprint of whatever track you have it on.

Then you can stretch and modify to your heart's content.

Try Celemony's Melodyne. Its a fun thing to have to play around with. Its kind of expensive but you can download a free trial. Its very easy to do what you're describing using it.

Back