weird recording problem

bjarne

This is my first post in here so hello everybody!

I've got a strange recording problem. I record like this:

girl -> røde NT1000 mic -> mackie 1202VLZPRO -> delta44 -> computer.

I'm using the insert to get the signal from the mackie to the soundcard.

Now my problem is that when I'm monitoring while we are recording, it sounds great but when I play back the recording from the computer it sounds kinda muffled/muddy.

Here's a short example:
http://tinyurl.com/29awf

I have tried another preamp (Art Tube mp), different cables and different sofware but it is still the same. What could be the problem here?

are you monitoring from the Mackie or the computer?

I mean, from the Mackie b/f it goes to computer.

Have you tried using one of your main outs instead of the insert?

Edit: Also have you checked the input levels in the delta 44 match the mixer's out, ie -10db, +4db

Last edited:
I have not tried the main out because I have already tried a different preamp so I dont think that would help.

I'm not shure about the mixer's out but I have tried -10, consumer and +4db and it's the same.

Last edited:
If the sound is clean and clear going into the computer, and the sound is not coming out, then either you're not recording it cleanly, or it's not coming out of your soundcard cleany back to your mixer on playback.

How are you monitoring what's coming from the computer? (ie signal path from your computer to your speakers)

I'm recording at 44khz 24bit. So I don't think that is the problem.

If your recording levels are low and you're doing something like normalizing them or otherwise increasing the gain, that might also have this effect. Recording too low of a signal is a lot like recording at a lower bit depth...

Blue Bear, my signal path from my computer is:
delta->mackie->hr824 monitors
but anyway my problem must be in the recording chain because else the file would sound normal to you guys, right?

AlChuck, the file I posted was the the raw file (besides the mp3 conversion). It peaks about -7.5db which should be fine I believe.

Back