waves plugins

KingstonRock

PC load letter?
I wanna buy some high quality eq/reverb/compression plugins and im looking at Waves plugins. My question is should i get the waves native powerpack 3.0 for $299, or the waves renaissance collection native 3.0 for $199? The power-pack contains more plug-ins which i could make use of, but my real question is, are the plug-ins in one package better than the other or are they just different, often the case in recording. For the "backbone" of my cpu effects would either of these be a good choice, i.e. im not looking for weird or interesting stuff yet, just the necessary effects.

Thanks
Eric

Eric, I always say more is better. If you go with the smaller version you may regret it in the long run & end up paying more to get the extras. I use the waves gold plug ins & they do a fine job & sound good although some effects are CPU hogs. Go for the GOLD !!!

the waves stuff is highly regarded; but if you don't know exactly what you want, you may have some deeper issues...what are you using to multitrack? have you checked out any of the waves demos?

I had this same dilemma last summer. I loved RenVerb and the RenComp, but I also loved the L1. So I just sucked it up and purchased both! You can always get one now, and wait a few months and then get the other.
Good luck!

Before you buy the Waves plugins, be aware that the copy protection they use has caused a lot of grief to many people. Do a search in this forum for more info.

I use the Waves Gold bundle myself (which includes all the effects in these 2 bundles, plus killer plugins like Enigma), and I can say that you can't go wrong with either bundle. Renaissance has the better compressor, but I think the Power pack is probably the way to go, simply for the Trueverb plugin. Trueverb is worth the price of that package alone in my opinion (Hell. the Drum Plate Preset for Trueverb is worth the $300).

RWhite said:
Before you buy the Waves plugins, be aware that the copy protection they use has caused a lot of grief to many people. Do a search in this forum for more info.
There is an easy (!?) solution to that: Buy the software to soothe your conscience, then download the warez version and enjoy.

Oysterman said:
There is an easy (!?) solution to that: Buy the software to soothe your conscience, then download the warez version and enjoy.

But Warez never works as well as the origional. Holes all over the place from the ripping.

If I had to buy one Waves package today, it would be the Waves Masters collection. No reverb, but the Phase Linear EQ, Compressor, Multiband, and L2 are the best plugins Waves has ever released. Just go and replace a Q4 or Rennaissance EQ on a track with the Phase Linear EQ, and the sound difference is dramatically apparent. Same with the Compressor, Multiband, and L2, they all whomp on their predecessors (C1/RenComp, C4, and L1+).

I've been eyeing the Masters bundle. . .

Charger, if the new stuff truly "whomps" the C4 and L1, it looks like my kids might be wearing the same clothing to school next year.

That is saying something. I don't think I have a single project that I didn't end up using the C4 and L1 when mastering.

These are some of the links about the Waves copy protection system, I urge you to read read them before buying them:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/4F0B51C39C17DA6386256B7F0077FBA6

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=51608&highlight=copy+protection

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=52801&highlight=copy+protection

After you read those, then maybe my reply below will make sense.

Oysterman, I know what you are saying. The only times I have ever use "warez" software is if I want to see if something is worth buying. If I like it, I buy it. I bought Sound Forge 5 even when I already had a hacked copy because I like it and I use it. I believe in supporting good software companys. But when a copy protection system is so ridiculous, so defective that it literally puts your PC at risk, that goes way beyond my tolerance.

I say screw'em. I won't ever buy their software under any circumstances until they drop the defective protection system. I have to believe there are other worthy effects plug-ins out there. But if I absolutely HAD to have their plugin for a particular project, I would down load the hacked version and then errase it after I was finished.

yea L2 def kicks the L1's ass ARC(Auto Release Control) is real good along with the IDR dithering

they don't have a compressor that replaces the RenComp int he mastering package they are multiband compressor/limiters

Oysterman said:
Coming from personal experience, I have reasons to doubt that. ;)

Everything warez I've downloaded sucked. That's why I prefer to buy. Everything I buy works just fine and no one hates me for it(not like I don't download stuff, I have Sonar and Cubase 32 on my PC, but they both run terrible, and I know it's the downloaded version that does it because demos work, they work on other people who bought them's comps, and I have a really good and stable computer).

We have different experiences with warez, and that's cool - but I've only encountered one piece of software which didn't work the way it was supposed to do. It was Logic AP 4.7, so it's not anything I would have bothered to use anyway :rolleyes:, but I did want to try it. The Waves bundle I've tried does work mighty fine on my computer. ;)

Back