A warning about using CD and DVD for backups

'Users who bend a DVD to remove it from a hard-gripping case are practically begging for this problem, because flexing the disc puts strain on the glue. '

Thanks Vestast. Learn something every day around here.

So what?

At the rate technology evolves, we will be way beyond CD's and DVD's as a media for backup in 10 years anyways...

brzilian said:
So what?

At the rate technology evolves, we will be way beyond CD's and DVD's as a media for backup in 10 years anyways...

You're right, but all it this is, is a link to an article warning about long term storage on CD's and DVD.

You know what ? Your obviously a smart guy, and you've got alot to offer this board. There are a million ways that you could have said what you just said on this post and others....I just wish you would work on your delivery.... :mad:

Last edited:
CD's - Play 'em all you want, but don't let them sit around. :rolleyes:

Vinyl - Let 'em sit around all you want, but don't play them too much. :eek:

This really is a valid concern that's going to have to be tackled... I'll bring this up at the P&E wing at NARAS and see if there's anyone looking into any studies on the subject.

It wasn't long ago we were having problems with tape flaking apart and the AGFA guys got together and solved the problem with a food dehydrator. Obviously, this is an entirely different situation and I'm sure that there are efficient, effective, although expensive ways to deal with it. Figuring out how to get archiving into the pro-sumer market is going to be the challenge.

vestast said:
You're right, but all it this is, is a link to an article warning about long term storage on CD's and DVD.

You know what ? Your obviously a smart guy, and you've got alot to offer this board. There are a million ways that you could have said what you just said on this post and others....I just wish you would work on your delivery.... :mad:

I apologize for Brzlian, he thought this was the home recording forum, not the charm school forum.

:D :D

Well, that's Brzilian for ya.
Just try to ignore the attitude, generally he has his facts straight. I noticed that I almost always agree with what he has to share.

christiaan said:
Well, that's Brzilian for ya.
Just try to ignore the attitude, generally he has his facts straight. I noticed that I almost always agree with what he has to share.

You're right. I guess he just want's to make sure you know that he doesn't agree.. :cool:

There are a few folks here like that. Knowledgeable but hard to actually get much benefit from because of their repugnant attitudes. But that said, I've learned quite a lot from jerks here. :D Heck, I may even be a jerk myself and don't know it. I know a lot of people who don't know that they're buttheads.

It's all cool. :cool:

So back to the subject before this turns into a bashing post...

If you've been using CD's for a while for long term storage, you might want to look at an alternative.

From Massive Master..
This really is a valid concern that's going to have to be tackled... I'll bring this up at the P&E wing at NARAS and see if there's anyone looking into any studies on the subject.

That's cool. I'd be interested in knowing what everyone is saying about the subject at NARAS.

This is surely an important subject. I had a thread on best media for long term storage a week or two ago, and there were some good practical advise given.
At the same time I notice how all these articles expressing concern about longevity of CDs and DVD started to pop up in numbers everywhere. It is like in 2004 people suddenly discovered that the CDs, which have been around for a long time are not living up to their expected shelf life. The guy opens CDs which he has packed in the 80s and discovers 15% of them gone. I wonder where have mankind been all these time? Danish PC magazine discovers that data on CDRs can be lost after 2 years. The discs were around for 30 years and it is just now that they discover that?
It looks like a very valid concern. At the same time it looks like a campaign by someone, who wants to push some alternative format. Maybe its the proponents of DVD-RAM format, which is expensive and not too popular. Maybe it is the proponents of OM standard, which is even more expensive, slow and according to tomshardware is on the verge of dying. maybe it is someone else.
Until this situation clears I will put a large hard drive into my box, backup everything on it, remove it, put it back into the original packing and store it.

Wow. Don't you all have anything better to do than discuss my attitude?

You guys read way too much into stuff.:rolleyes:

Like I said before, who cares about CD or DVD rot? Zip drives aren't even 10 years old yet and already are a thing of the past. Anybody out there still using their Bernoulli, Syquest or Jaz drives? I think not.

Truth of the matter is I don't even touch projects (music or otherwise) that I worked on ten years ago, and if I do, it has been transferred to a new media at some point anyways.

And BTW Steven, the only reason I may seem condescending is because it blows my mind how people today can't find any information themselves either through research or trial and error. The Internet has created a culture of laziness.

Ther was no Internet 10-15 years ago when I learned how to use a computer, what MIDI was or how to do 3D modelling and video editing. I didn't learn any of that in school either. It was through my own efforts and doing alot of reading and just pushing buttons to see what happens.

brzilian said:
Truth of the matter is I don't even touch projects (music or otherwise) that I worked on ten years ago, and if I do, it has been transferred to a new media at some point anyways.

That's my point :)

If you've been using CD's as a storage solution, then it's time to move to an alternative as studies are showing that they are starting to fail.

The Internet has created a culture of laziness.

That's also true, but maybe not in as much of a bad way as you put it. I remember having to do school reports etc using nothing but encyclopedia's etc. That sucked.

Isn't this board intended for questions and sharing experiences ? I mean if your going to get pissed off at someone for asking a question that you think is stupid, then why bother ? (that's not a knock at you, I'm just making a generic statement)

Regardless of the onward march of technology or lack of it, we want to be able to retrieve our older projects. This shouldn't mean investing in all new data storage systems every couple of years. After all, I have some 8-tracks that sound exactly as bad now as they did in 1976.

Isn't this board intended for questions and sharing experiences ? I mean if your going to get pissed off at someone for asking a question that you think is stupid, then why bother ? (that's not a knock at you, I'm just making a generic statement)

Look at this way. What percentage of the posts here are the same old lame questions being repeated over and over again? I'm guessing way over 50% How is that constructive?

lpdeluxe said:
Regardless of the onward march of technology or lack of it, we want to be able to retrieve our older projects. This shouldn't mean investing in all new data storage systems every couple of years. After all, I have some 8-tracks that sound exactly as bad now as they did in 1976.

You should familiarize yourself with Moore's Law:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/Moores_Law.html
http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue7_11/tuomi/

Technogical innovation doesn't wait for anyone (for the time being). If you want to depend on technology, you have to pay the price as far as keeping up with it.

OK, all this back-and-forth about CD-rot has got me to thinking (dangerous, I know). According to the most reliable sources I could find (i.e., not trying to sell anything), a properly stored CD-R should last at least 30 years, and perhaps 100 years after being written. This whole thing smells like a FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) campaign to me.

Who would want us to abandon the CD format? Whose vested interests would be served if the CD went the way of the 8-track cartridge?

http://www.riaa.com/issues/piracy/cdcdr.asp#future

Back