Volume control for monitors

clinton

I'm either mad or both
Hi All

I have esi near05 monitors that are connected to a Mobile Pre external sound card. The problem I have is that when I track (guitar vocals ect) I have to turn the monitors off manually because I need the Mobile Pre's headphone socket to hear the rest of the track but obviously i cant record with the rest of the track coming through the Monitors as it will be picked up by the mics...

I would like to know if there is a cheap way of attaching a volume control to the left and right outputs that go to the monitors.

I think its kinda like the presonus central station but I need way cheaper.

Thanks All

SMPro makes a passive box with switching for around $100... If you don't need the D/A, it should be a decent piece...

Thanks guys

I was looking at some of my gear that I dont use and may have a solution:

I have a presonus HP4 headphone Distribution amp and on the unit it has two 1/4" outputs for "Direct Monitor" out. So I thought what if I chain from my mobile pre to the HP4 the out the HP4's "direct monitor" and into my esi near05's. then i can use the volume control on the HP4 to alter the esi volume.

What I would like to know is.... surely going into one extra unit will affect the sound going into my monitors... what do u guys think

Thanks

Going into a simple passive unit (such as the SMPro) will (at least "should") have far less impact than going through all the cheesy circuitry in either of those two other units. Or a headphone amp.

Back