Voice improvement (artificial)

skunk enamel

One of the limiting factors of my band is that our singer is not that great. His vocals are adequate, but I wish they were a lot better. We record on computer. Is there anyway, and programs or something, that can improve his voice?

In a studio you can tell they improve singers voices exponentially because I’ve heard them live and they don’t sound like they do on a CD. What I’m wondering is if there is any of these sort of tricks open to amateur musicians with a computer.

It’s a hope of mine to make our mediocre singer sound like a good singer.

Autotune... Add 'air' eq... go all out Millie Vanillie and get someone else to rerecord his vocal and not tell him!!!!! :D

There are two different issues here. One is improving the singer's voice the other is improving his sound. There are a whole slew of things to improve sound including better mics, better preamps, and better A/D converters. With vocals it also helps to have a decent compressor, a good reverb unit, a pop screen, and a room or vocal booth that sounds good. And though I would stick with these fundamentals, you could also look at autotune software/hardware or a vocal harmonizers such as those made by TC Electronic. As far as the singer's voice goes, there are people who teach voice and by training he could probably improve. Unfortunately, there are probably some natural limits to this. So your options are fairly limited.

Back