Virtual instruments. Seriously, why so hard?

not4ne1

Can someone pleeeeease help?
I can not get a black and white answer for my question. Even when I ask the guitar store guys, they seem dumbfounded by what I'm asking.
I need virtual instruments. It's that simple. Like the pleathora of sounds that cam equipped on all midi keyboards and in the Microsoft GM wavetable. I bought a $300 yamaha keyboard years ago that had over 600 sounds. and even though they weren't the best quality, they got the job done.
I need a bunch of different sounds like horns, strings, choirs, flutes, pianos, organs, xylophones, guitars, basses. Hell even the Fireworks and dog barking sounds. Why is this so damn hard. Hell, windows/cakewalk makes it free easy and reliable. Why can't Mac/protools?
I use them for rough drafts, pads, and general idea building/experimenting. As one example, I want to try a trumpet out before commiting to paying someone to play it live. Or add some female Oohs and Aahs subtly in the background. I DO NOT NEED million dollar quality sounds, just sounds. Currently, I have to use cakewalk on wndows to try ideas using windows GM wavetable but I would like to do all the work in my Protools 9 set up on Mac OSX. I'd like to ditch the windows/cakewalk set up all together but I can't for now.
There must be something available for free or at least cheap. What? Where? How? Why is this so damn hard? Everyone just wants to tell me about there prefered piano sound or synth or skrillix plugin, but nothing that fits all my needs. HEEEEELP!!!

And MAC must have a wavetable. Maybe there is a way to use that (if it exists). How?
Additionally, (and only after I get the answer to the base question) I'd like to know what has the same qualities but in a higher quality for if/when I decide to upgrade. And If there are any developers out there, This might be an untapped market. hint, hint.

Thank you so much in advance (and for not making this a debate about Mac v. Windows or Protools v. any other DAW. I use Protools on Mac. I need answers for Protools on Mac.

P.s. Sorry if I seem grumbly. This has frustrated me for weeks now.

Thanks but it doesn't work as a virtual instrument in ProTools. Unless you could tell me how. It's a *.app file. I need *.dpm or *.vst.

not the point. I just need the plugin to work no matter what the filename or format. Looked at wingrooves but not mac compatible. also, looked at bandstand which looks perfect but discontinued. Mainstage looks good but I don't know if it will work as a plugin within protools

Holy CRAP people! Really? Is there no such product that will accomplish my goals? Surely someone has found something at least similar to what I'm trying to do. @Armistice, I apologize for offending you. Too often, posts end up off subject and become debates of right/wrong or who/what is best. I hope you can see my frustration at how difficult it has been to find this answer and again I apologize. My research has lead me to several products that seem would suit my needs but the download links are no good or they're not compatible. One example is XPAND!. It's supposed to come with protools yet I don't have it and I cannot find a standalone download. So Again I ask, Does anyone know of a full set of basic GM instruments available...ANYWHERE? (or perhaps I'm asking the question wrong so what is the right question)

For free: soundfonts (yes, macs will play them just like windows pc's. You just need a soundfont vsti)
There are a billion .sf2 soundfonts out there with reasonably good sounds HammerSound has a bunch.
For a free sf2/sfz player, use Steve Folta's SFZERO: SFZero

If you want to spend a bit of money:

Right now esoundz.com has SampletankXL on sale for $60
Good useable set of sounds.

And the 800pound gorilla is NI's Komplete/Kontakt
Pricey but the biggest sampler in the world.

Yeah, there's no such thing as a vst file (as far as I'm aware) - it's a programming standard.

Have a look at Kontakt Player on NI's website - comes with a bunch of free sounds. IK Multimedia's SampleTank Free is similar. Google and ye shall find.

I don't understand the problem.
Protools comes with xpand which is just a massive bank of virtual instruments in one plugin.

If you need the specific GM sound banks, get an old roland mu50 or something off ebay or from someones bin.

Can someone pleeeeease help?
I can not get a black and white answer for my question. Even when I ask the guitar store guys, they seem dumbfounded by what I'm asking.
I need virtual instruments. It's that simple. Like the pleathora of sounds that cam equipped on all midi keyboards and in the Microsoft GM wavetable. I bought a $300 yamaha keyboard years ago that had over 600 sounds. and even though they weren't the best quality, they got the job done.
I need a bunch of different sounds like horns, strings, choirs, flutes, pianos, organs, xylophones, guitars, basses. Hell even the Fireworks and dog barking sounds. Why is this so damn hard. Hell, windows/cakewalk makes it free easy and reliable. Why can't Mac/protools?
I use them for rough drafts, pads, and general idea building/experimenting. As one example, I want to try a trumpet out before commiting to paying someone to play it live. Or add some female Oohs and Aahs subtly in the background. I DO NOT NEED million dollar quality sounds, just sounds. Currently, I have to use cakewalk on wndows to try ideas using windows GM wavetable but I would like to do all the work in my Protools 9 set up on Mac OSX. I'd like to ditch the windows/cakewalk set up all together but I can't for now.
There must be something available for free or at least cheap. What? Where? How? Why is this so damn hard? Everyone just wants to tell me about there prefered piano sound or synth or skrillix plugin, but nothing that fits all my needs. HEEEEELP!!!

And MAC must have a wavetable. Maybe there is a way to use that (if it exists). How?
Additionally, (and only after I get the answer to the base question) I'd like to know what has the same qualities but in a higher quality for if/when I decide to upgrade. And If there are any developers out there, This might be an untapped market. hint, hint.

Thank you so much in advance (and for not making this a debate about Mac v. Windows or Protools v. any other DAW. I use Protools on Mac. I need answers for Protools on Mac.

P.s. Sorry if I seem grumbly. This has frustrated me for weeks now.

Native Instruments : Komplete - Professional Instruments And Effects

I could be wrong, but I think the wavetable GM synth in windows is actually built into the "standard" soundcard. At least that's the way it used to be. Don't think macs have that, but Quicktime has a GM synth. At least, that's the way I had to do it last century when I was running Mac. Not sure how to use the Quicktime synth from ProTools, but maybe something else you could google for.

I could be wrong, but I think the wavetable GM synth in windows is actually built into the "standard" soundcard. At least that's the way it used to be. Don't think macs have that, but Quicktime has a GM synth. At least, that's the way I had to do it last century when I was running Mac. Not sure how to use the Quicktime synth from ProTools, but maybe something else you could google for.

I think you are correct - I think you select the GM Wavetable as the output channel, rather than it being a plugin or app.

Morning all,
I just finished downloading and installing SampleTank. I wanted to update everyone for future reference if anyone has a similar problem. First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance. Throughout this experience, here is what I learned:

SIMPLESYNTH: was ALMOST exactly what I was asking for. Very simple and exactly like all the patches that came with all keyboards. It was not easy to use (at least for a novice of my calibre). While I thank Ethan for the response (thank you very much, Ethan), There was no instruction given on how to set it up in protools. Google helped with that (Note: You have to start SympleSynth first, then protools will list as a "predefined" output in the output section of your track). The problem I couldn't solve was that I couldn't figure out how to make it's audio route through the main mix in protools. A midi file played from within protools could control SympleSynth and make SimpleSynth produce sounds out the speakers, but those sounds weren't routed to the main mix in protools and therefore inaudible in a final mixdown.
SIMPLESYNTH SUMMARY: useful for ideas and song writing, Not useful for final mix.

SOUND FONT ZERO: I could not get SFZero to work. I followed the instructions on the website and it just wasn't showing up in my plugins list. Still haven't been able to but I've moved on to....

SAMPLETANK: Exactly what I wanted. I had a little trouble getting it set up as I tried the free version before buying it and I couldn't locate any sound files. I sprung the $60 for the full version (Great price for the product, but regrettably was only available until 3/14/13. The next version down is only $70 though and I think still worth it) It has tons of sounds and operates form the midi files and as a plugin instrument in protools.
TimObrien, Thank you for your input on those two. ( I know others recommended SampleTank as well. Thank you too)
KOMPLETE: Too expensive. I won't spring for that one. Way too much money for my perceived value. I'm sure it sounds great and pros swear by it though.
Thanks a million to everyone in the HomeRecording.Com community.

@Armistice & Johnny Deep *.VST is a filetype on the Mac. Let's stay focused guys.

SOUND FONT ZERO: I could not get SFZero to work. I followed the instructions on the website and it just wasn't showing up in my plugins list.

What Mac and OSX version do you have?

SFZero comes as a .component file.
The instructions on his site works: Unzip that, and copy the "SFZero.component" file to "home/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components".

The library folder is on the root level of the hard drive.
Mine shows up in Reaper and works just fine.

...as an alternative, you could also try Bismark's free BS-0 soundfont vsti.
I used to use their BS-16 on my XP daw, which costs but allows you to run 16 midi channels simultaneously in one instance.
I have run BS-0 on my Mac, but now tend to use SFZero instead. Give it a try.

Back