using tablet PC with USB mic

LI_Slim

voice in the wilderness
Are there tablets that one can use with a USB mic, recording with garageband or some such app?

Thanks very much

I'd imagine any tablet with a USB port (which is all of them) and most any app (Sonar, Reaper, etc) would do just that.

Unless I am mistaken, Garage Band is Mac, and unlikely to work on most tablets. Mac does have a tablet kicking around, but I haven't actually seen a Modbook. Now PC tablets usually lack RAM and use SD cards to up the storage capacity. So my best guess is that you would be very crippled using a tablet, unless it's a $$$ Mac. Another to consider is the weak video capabilities. All tablets are equipped with embedded graphics processors instead of discrete graphics cards. That may make editing less fun. Even the processor's are slower, but people have been recording to PIII's, so anything can be done. I guess it's up to whether or not you can live with the limitations.

Unless I am mistaken, Garage Band is Mac, and unlikely to work on most tablets. Mac does have a tablet kicking around, but I haven't actually seen a Modbook. Now PC tablets usually lack RAM and use SD cards to up the storage capacity. So my best guess is that you would be very crippled using a tablet, unless it's a $$$ Mac. Another to consider is the weak video capabilities. All tablets are equipped with embedded graphics processors instead of discrete graphics cards. That may make editing less fun. Even the processor's are slower, but people have been recording to PIII's, so anything can be done. I guess it's up to whether or not you can live with the limitations.

From my limited research so far I think you are right. Also, there is a garageband app for ipads but it seems to be limited to the electronic sounds you can make within the ipad, and i didn't see any usb input on the ipad (i think you can get some sort of ridiculously expensive adapter). I did not see any recording/mixing apps within the droid app universe that one would be limited to with a non-mac tablet. also some have usb inputs some do not. I have no desire to use it for serious recording but it would be nice to make a single-track actual recording for working purposes.

Am I missing something(s)?

.......I have no desire to use it for serious recording but it would be nice to make a single-track actual recording for working purposes.

Am I missing something(s)?

I would use something like a Zoom H4 for around what a decent tablet costs. You could probably find a used H2 for peanuts. I have a tablet, and they're great for road trips, and if your hotel room has Wi-Fi (and most do) you can catch up on 'stuff'. But I never thought to record on it. Hmmm, I still wouldn't. I have a Zoom for that, plus I often bring a laptop. Yeah, you have to bring along an interface, but what else do you do for twenty hours between shows? Not to brag, I have some great road recordings, and some great songs.

Unless I am mistaken, Garage Band is Mac, and unlikely to work on most tablets. Mac does have a tablet kicking around, but I haven't actually seen a Modbook.

I think you mean an iPad....

And yes it works with Garageband.
And you can get a mic interface for it.

Back