Using a studio desk with a pc and a soundcard!!

rjb75

I'm looking at buying a studio console and would like to know how I would connect it to a soundcard, say 10 I/O delta?
I have used a live desk before, but I'm unsure on how to setup a studio desk for multi-track sessions, playback and monitoring, in the control room and headphones!!!

Anyone with help on what connects to what?

I need to know how to connect the desk to record a band live, with each track separtely recorded onto the pc, with headphone monitoring and control room monitoring!!!!

WOW, talkin' some bucks

Well..., How many ins are on your soundcard. You kinda need seperate rooms or there's no sense in seperating the instruments. Anyhoo, Say you have 8 instruments, and you want them on 8 tracks. You will run 8 mics to the console, then if you have an 8 buss console. You run buss #1 to one of your soundcard inputs, then Buss #2, then Buss #3, and so on. Does the delta card have eight ins on it ? You also need software capable of recording eight simultanious tracks. Am I helping at all ?

Hope so,
T.J.Hooker:cool:

Depending on what kind of mixer you have (numer of busses, availability of direct outs, channel inserts, number of mixer channels, etc...)dictates how you would patch it up. What kind of mixer do you intend on using?

Was I on the right Track, Rat?

No pun intended. How's it goin track rat. Was i explaining things right ? I'd hate to give out false Info.

T.:cool:

Have you thought about (a) buying a soundcard with either ADAT Lightpipe or TDIF connections? (both are 8 channels of digital audio) which you can stream into a digital mixer?

With digital mixers being so cheap, it seems like a good idea to me.

For a lightpipe connection- why not look at a Fostex VM-200 16 channel mixer (about $400 second hand). It is 32-bit, and has 2 in-build effects processors, full MIDI automation, and motorised faders.

Or, for TDIF, why not try the TASCAM TDM-1000? This is similar to the fostex, only has more faders (not motorised) and is a bit cheaper.

Obviously analogue mixers have their advantages at this price- but it's certainly an option to look at.

matt_the_rat said:
Have you thought about (a) buying a soundcard with either ADAT Lightpipe or TDIF connections? (both are 8 channels of digital audio) which you can stream into a digital mixer?

But you have to route all the seperate mics into the computer to record them. Don't you ? You would need some sort of breakout box to plug your mics in to. Then you could send them to the computer via lightpipe. Is that right or wrong.

T.J.Hooker

:cool:

All you do is plug your mic into the mic input on the digital mixer. The mixer routes that through the lightpipe cable straight into the soundcard.

A soundcard like the Lexicon Core2 will suffice.... it also has 4 analogue inputs so you can record using a mic & your fav non S/PDIF preamp if you want- and just use the lightpipe for outputs.

Back