Using plugins in another studio, without installing them

storoi90

Hi,

I would like to use my own plugins in a professional studio, problem is they don´t allow you to install any plugins.
So i´ve basically come up with two alternatives that the studio will accept.
My main goal is to use my komplete 9 bundle inside the professional studio.

Just to be clear i have all my samples installed on my G-drive.
Now for the alternatives:

Using a laptop as en external device to the mixer in the studio. The mixer is an AVID C/24. and the preamp is a focusrite 828.
But how do i connect and use it? I´ve heard something about connecting the laptop to the preamp?
Can i use the laptop as a plugin inside the DAW? How do i send audio from the laptop in to the mixer is what i am trying to say, i guess.

Copying the RTAS/VST/AU plugins from my own computer on to my G-drive, then in the professional studio locate them. This way i won´t be "installing" anything, because the plugin files and samples are located on the G-drive. And they will only be accessible when the G-drive is connected. Possible or no? Will i get authorization restrictions this way?

All inputs are appreciated!

Using a laptop as en external device to the mixer in the studio.

Copying the RTAS/VST/AU plugins from my own computer on to my G-drive.

Hi,
I don't like option one for a few reasons.
The laptop built in I/O isn't likely to be spectacular, you're limited to two each way, and latency could be an issue.
What's the idea, you need virtual instruments that are installed on the laptop?
Would the chain be midi keyboard/trigger -> laptop -> studio computer?

I'm not sure about no.2. I guess it depends on the DAW.
Reaper, for example, will let you specify locations. Protools will not. I'm pretty sure aliases/shortcuts aren't good enough for the latter either.
Plus, there may be more to the software you're talking about that a few plugin files. There could be settings/preferences folders/libraries etc.

I reckon your best bet is to find out what interface the studio has, get the right cable for it, install the drivers at home and just use your laptop in place of their computer.

How do i send audio from the laptop in to the mixer is what i am trying to say, i guess.
Their mixer isn't a mixer. It's a glorified mouse/keyboard with a couple of preamps and analog monitoring options.
Chances are there's a digi 002/003 rack in there doing the real work.

If that's so and your laptop has firewire, there'll be two ports on the interface so you won't even have to unplug any of their cables! :)

Can you not record the parts you want the plug ins for and take the export of the track? They would import the audio file(s).

I understand they don't want to install plug ins, there are licensing issues, keeping the plug in for the mixing, then removing them. I understand why they would have that policy.

Seems you could also make a list of the plug ins you want to use, and get their equivalent.

Can you not record the parts you want the plug ins for and take the export of the track?

This is a possibility if it's the odd process here and there.
If I had to export/process/import everytime I wanted to use a Waves eq or verb I'd lose the plot, though.

Tell us more, OP.

Why don't they let you install the plugins you need? I assume they're all legit and virus free? I would just go to another studio that allows you to. I actually think it's bullshit they won't let you if that's what you need to get your session moving. Forcing you into a workaround is counter productive and will cost you money at the end of the day if you end up troubleshooting.

Cheers :)

And yes, I think authorizations will be an issue. AFAIK, NI authorizations are computer specific.

Cheers :)

Back