Using a midi drum pad controller to step record drum tracks using Addictive Drums???

Maud

I have been "out of the game" for a little while, but I am back with an Mbox2 and Addictive Drums. I used to use a Roland JV1010 to piece together drum tracks by step record into Logic Audio Platinum v.5 (i.e. midi-track one, I'd sit there and tap out the hi hat parts on a midi keyboard controller. Then midi-track two would be the snare, and so on...)

Well even though Addictive Drums has a ton of grooves and pre-sets, I still want to do it the way I used to. I just wanted to ask you guys if you know of an amazingly affordable electronic drum pad that I can use as a trigger instead of the midi-keyboard controller?

I always thought it was so hard to get a solid "performance" tapping on a C# on a keyboard. And I hate quantization because it seems to make everything so perfect and "mechanical" sounding.

Okay, let me re-phrase...

I know about pads like the Alesis 8-pad USB/MIDI Controller with Two Switch Pedal Inputs.

I guess what my question is, has more to do with if this is an elegant solution to my needs? Can you easily use Addictive Drums to map the different snare hit (for example) to several of the drum pads?

You know how Addictive Drums samples the same drum being hit from several angles, and at different places across the drum head (i.e rim shots, and soft edge hits etc...) Well I want to be able to hit the drum in different places too, so I'd like to map the snare across several of the Alesis pads and randomly let my stick fall in different places on the sampled snare.

Know what I mean?

For tom fills and cymbal crashes, I like to pan my drum kit L & R as if it were a real kit. So to do this I have to record each instrument onto a separate midi-track into ProTools so that I can pan that track (correct?) Since this is the case, if there anyway to arm multiple tracks for tom fills for example, and assign a single pad to the different tracks, so that when I hit tom 1 (pad 1) it records to midi track 3, and tom 2 (pad 2) records to midi-track 4 and so on...

During faster or complicated tom fills it gets kind of hard to step through them one tom at a time.

MPD16LG-2086f8ddc9ee48d79f548e8ce06d7958.jpg

Akai MPD-16s run $99

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--AKAMPD16

I wouldn't trade mine for anything (except a MPD24).

If you go this route, I recommend you turn up the sensitivity via the USB control panel since they are a little stiff (under sensitive) out of the box

I use a TrapKat by Alternatemode. I use Steven Slate Drums SSD5 for the sounds although I can use anything and it works great! For a more affordable and smaller solution the DK10 work very well too. I have a double kick setup with hi-hat. It all records midi. I can change anything on each pad and even change the entire drumset after recording.

Back