USB problems....

CoolCat

I had a odd thing happen, my USB 2.0 somehow turned into 1.1?

So when I connect my interface it says , "the device will run better on USB 2.0...."

the computer, or windows more likely, messed up this up ...I guess?

<below pic>
Device Manager it shows one hub as USB 2.0 but none of the USB ports talk to my recording interface in 2.0 anymore....always USB 1.1

any inputs appreciated....i been rebooting and erased all the windowsm and even upgraded to Windows 7 and deleted the USB hubs and they still come back 1.1.

the one that says 2.0 doesnt seem to be real too.

It ran 2.0 for years, very strange.

any inputs, welcome

Attachments

• USB crap.jpg
    USB crap.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 71
USB 2.0 back to USB 1.1??

Surfed the internet, reset the BIOS DIsabled the Legacy as some suggested...no change.

I guess I'll go try to find a USB 2.0 PCI that can work with Windows 7.....I bought one plugged it in and found out it works with everything but the OS I just loaded...which is Windows 7 32bit.

Wikipedia mentions OHCI and EHCI....as USB 1.1 and 2.0... but that doesnt get the pc back to USB 2.0.

From what I read this was all due to a Windows Update of XP I had on my pc in auto update mode.

any USB speclsts out there! ?

Have you tried updating the driver from right-clicking properties on the ATI lines?

So you are running Win7 now right? Or did you go back to XP?

That is a weird one for sure. It was not uncommon for a year or two to find machines with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports, but all recently built PCs should be USB 2.0 only. And I've never heard of one "regressing" as you describe.

Unfortunately, all the solutions I can think of off the top of my head are ones you've tried already. I still think some incorrect setting in the BIOS would be the most likely cause.

arcadeko,
I am running Windows 7 now.
I did try the update drivers ATI, and I also deleted the 1.1 + reboot and the Windows found them the same

I thought about buying a new pc all 2.0...(which will be 3.0 soon I guess?)

The BIOS didn't offer any settings other than LEgacy= Enable or Disable
Someone said to Disable Legacy adn that didnt seem to change it back to 2.0 either.

The case is a standard off the shelf at Best Buy, Compaq Presario and it says right on it 2.0 and has a few firewire ports.
This just happened within the last few days.....all of a sudden pop up window says "You should use the 2.0 USB port not 1.1.....etc..etc"

Surfed the internet, reset the BIOS DIsabled the Legacy as some suggested...no change.

I guess I'll go try to find a USB 2.0 PCI that can work with Windows 7.....I bought one plugged it in and found out it works with everything but the OS I just loaded...which is Windows 7 32bit.

Wikipedia mentions OHCI and EHCI....as USB 1.1 and 2.0... but that doesnt get the pc back to USB 2.0.

From what I read this was all due to a Windows Update of XP I had on my pc in auto update mode.

any USB speclsts out there! ?
did you try a restore point from before the problem?

I would run a test on your USB and see if it's actually running at USB 2.0 speed - it is POSSIBLE that it could just be an ID problem (eg the ports are actually running as 2.0 only identifying themselves as 1.0) I think this app can tell you more Test My Hardware - 100% Freeware designed to test usb, usb adapter, usb hard drives, usb data transfer, usb file transfer, usb parallel, usb pci card, usb printer cables, usb network, usb 2.0 cards, usb external enclosure, usb port replicator, usb vi

These are internal USB ports right? they are on the Compaq mobo? You might want to try some alternate drivers from Compaq - unless it's a PCI card - sounds like its on board though. If you have a free PCI slot a USB 2.0 card is pretty cheap - but with the way it's acting hell it might not even recognize that

Are you using XP mode? Cause that has problems with USB recognition

I would run a test on your USB and see if it's actually running at USB 2.0 speed - it is POSSIBLE that it could just be an ID problem (eg the ports are actually running as 2.0 only identifying themselves as 1.0) I think this app can tell you more Test My Hardware - 100% Freeware designed to test usb, usb adapter, usb hard drives, usb data transfer, usb file transfer, usb parallel, usb pci card, usb printer cables, usb network, usb 2.0 cards, usb external enclosure, usb port replicator, usb vi

These are internal USB ports right? they are on the Compaq mobo? You might want to try some alternate drivers from Compaq - unless it's a PCI card - sounds like its on board though. If you have a free PCI slot a USB 2.0 card is pretty cheap - but with the way it's acting hell it might not even recognize that

Are you using XP mode? Cause that has problems with USB recognition

that should be a cool test, but the TAscam causes it to read out and the control panel of the TAscam interface states 1.1...
so I'm not expecting anything.

It is a on board set of USB ports....no pci. (i took the card back).....yes I tried and returned a card and the guy said it wouldnt recognize 2.0 probably because the HOst was wrong or something.
The case actually is labeled USB 2.0

I loaded up Window 7 because I'd read some USB issues with XP.

For $279 I can get a new cheap laptop...

think I'll check some CL. One guy said get a newer pc that only has USB 2.0, as most newer ones ship only with 2.0. so thats an option.

here's the results....and error pic.

I'll mess with the Recovery next....will it go back to XP from 7?

Attachments

• US error.jpg
    US error.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 51
Use system restore to go back two, three days, whatever. If that didn't work, go back two or three more days, and repeat until you 'fix' the problem. It's the damn MS Windows Updates, and that why I shut off Automatic Updates. They screw with the weirdest things, and sometimes Google will show you which update is the culprit. If you have lots of free time;
  1. Go into Add/Remove Programs.
  2. Check 'Show Updates'.
  3. Look at all the Windows Updates, they all start with 'KB' and have maybe six numbers after them.
  4. Remove them one at a time, or two at a time if you aren't patient.
  5. If the one(s) you remove don't fix the problem, put that update back, and do a few more.

Another thing to try first, is Google the update. See what you are removing before you screw with it. Then go bananas.
Also, check your BIOS. Then makes sure you have the proper chipset and individual driver controllers. But that won't work until the BIOS is right. It may be called 'High Performance Mode'. Enable it and reinstall the chipset and USB controllers.

thanks everyone, i was just getting ready to do the recovery....and had to activate my WIndows 7, that caused about 20 minutes of menu's and being transferred 3 times and asked for email, phone numbers..etc..

I paid for Win 7 and its like the spanish inquisition?

and I agree, I was just reading a couple other sites and it also said its the Window Updates that totally screwed up my computer!!!!!

I might try that...I dont backup much, I think its auto.
it should be automatic although I think at some popint you pick how often it'll do it.
Ours does it once a week and the very first thing I do when a problem crops up is restore from a week ago. So far that's always fixed anything that came up.

oh well. not the first time windows has taught me a lesson, one of the golden rules was if you use a recorder on a pc NEVER have it attached to the Internet.

after fighting windows, downloading spam driver ware and unplugging and plugging...

I'm now wiping the thing clean back to a full XP OS....

then no more internet if it even barely comes back to life. i'll only surf on this old laptop, or get a netbook.

that was it, whatever that is??

....but the reloading of the original Windows XP Pro (no updates) has it working again.

and uhm... no internet cable hooked.

Use system restore to go back two, three days, whatever. If that didn't work, go back two or three more days, and repeat until you 'fix' the problem. It's the damn MS Windows Updates, and that why I shut off Automatic Updates. They screw with the weirdest things, and sometimes Google will show you which update is the culprit. If you have lots of free time.

appreciated everyones post. seems this isnt that uncommon, wow?
I almost spent $279 pr more on a pc.

Many more test drives and everythings really solid again, power up and down no issues. :D
I think my restore was cleaned out when I did WIndows 7, so from now on I should have this ability to restore backwards. But I get wht you all were saying now about restore, I cant seem to find how toset the frequency up for backup points?
I did one but it was one time only, manual mode ...

ranjam, re-reading the post your so correct! these damn attack of updates is what did it!

I turned OFF my Updates too. I removed the INternet cable

I recall a few years ago, I heard a crazy thought, from a PHD Engineering student/friend, who believed Windows/Microsoft sent updates out that actually slowed down your pc and over years it runs so poorly people upgrade and spend more money on a new pc....intentionally, this was done. And so he never had Updates activated and wanted to go Luinix? :confused:

It almost had me upgrading for no reason, really a trip and crazy how a update would turn my 2.0 USB into a 1.1 and cause so much trouble.

System Restore only has two options; Return My Computer To An Earlier Date, and Create A Restore Point. Restore points are automatically created every time you do something like add a program, so you can go back if the program causes conflicts. Once in a while I see System Check Point as a date to go back to, but I never did figure out how and/or why it does this. As long as I remember to add my own date whenever I change my computer in a crazy way, I am OK. This also works for getting rid of spyware and malware, but if you don't have Internet capabilities on your recording computer, this is a moot point. Well, unless you install programs you downloaded to another computer. But you would never ever do that, right? :spank:

i suppose I will install something someday, for some reason.
I have the cable there to plug in if mandatory. I plan to never use it for surfing.

I have the pos WINDOWS Update = OFF ...

now I'm trying to access the damage. awhile back my son reloaded the OS too.. who uses this pc too for recording (and surfing in those days), wiped out a lot of stuff.

but now its logical it was probably the same issue with the pos Windows Update (it was in Automatic Update mode back then)

I have been reorganizing the pc, finding the files from windows.old file it creates when the OS was reloaded.

arrrg...matey.... she's been a tuff old ho these parst feeve dayz...

due to losing so much the past month, I just loaded REAPER and will start all over. A good time to swap from the free Kristal.

I might have to pay for REAPER someday, or activate it? This will be fun to learn this new DAW! so not all was bad.

and this Windows OS reload keeps asking for another activation so that's bs and painful...

Two basic lessons learned

1) dont have the internet on the recording pc!
2) backup frequently!

thanks for everyones help.

I never connect the studio computer(s) to the internet. I load XP from a disc, I have the service packs on discs that I made on a different computer connected to the net so the service packs can be installed. Any driver up dates are done the same way.

If the computer is not connected to the net you don't need any windows updates after all the service packs are installed.

You also don't need any anti virus if you don't connect to the internet so the machine is not slowed down with all that rubbish. For example my lap top that goes on the net and has anti virus etc etc takes a minute or two to start up and another minute or two to ell me about all the updates, for everything, wireless available, blah blah blah, the studio computer is about 20 seconds.

Oh...and no games.

alan.

Back