Is USB limitation for 8 track interfaces?

phriq

Freon Productions
Hey everyone,

I have been looking at audio interfaces lately and have been looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8r. I would like to stay with a Pro-Tools compatible interface (though I am using Audition right now, I want the availability to upgrade) and want the 8 inputs to record drums... My question however is will it being USB only be a limitation when it comes to 8 track simultaneous recording? My only fear is that I will run into bottlenecks causing issues because of this. Is this anything to worry about? Has anyone used this interface before? Are there any other suggestions using the specs that I am looking for?

Thanks.

This should be in the computer section for more hits. USB isn't going to get you a good 8 track drum recording if any at all. You need to be looking at firewire interfaces. USB is good for about 2 tracks max if that depending on your plugins being used.

This should be in the computer section for more hits. USB isn't going to get you a good 8 track drum recording if any at all. You need to be looking at firewire interfaces. USB is good for about 2 tracks max if that depending on your plugins being used.

You are correct... lI'll move this one over. :)

USB works in a burst mode, which is fine for file copys and scanners and printers.
You need something that has the bandwidth for CONTINUOUS large data transfers:

Firewire.

Firewire400 can handle upwards of 100 continuous cd-quality audio streams in and out.

USB = little garden hose
Firewire = big honkin' fire hose.

Any Proof ? I can see 2 tracks for USB 1.1, but with USB 2.0 people claim to be recording 8 tracks with M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, 14 tracks with Tascam US-1641 and 8 tracks with Line 6 UX8.

Any Proof ? I can see 2 tracks for USB 1.1, but with USB 2.0 people claim to be recording 8 tracks with M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, 14 tracks with Tascam US-1641 and 8 tracks with Line 6 UX8.

Tim summed it up enough. I said it wouldn't get you a good 8 track recording. One could still get a recording done but definitely not as smooth or trouble free as firewire could. And once you start adding plugins to those tracks USB just can't hang.

Again, USB2 sounds great until you ACTUALLY try to make it work IN THE REAL WORLD.

In reality, USB works in BURST MODE with interruptions to the data stream as the bus polls the cpu. Even though the specs say a little bit faster than FW400, the ARCHITECTURE does NOT really allow USB to handle the CONTINUOUS bandwidth that FW400 and above can provide.

Firewire does not have those limitations and you can easily just plug, say 3 Motu interfaces together for 60 solid continuous i/o's..... just try that with USB2.

Back