USB audio interface with built-in hardware Gate/EQ/Compressor/Limiter

Knubbi

"Hi HomeRecorders" from a forum newbie:

Is there any USB audio interface with built-in hardware Gate/EQ/Compressor/Limiter?

I need that for live recording for screencast narration and would like to avoid messing with a VST mini host, plugins and virtual audio cables which all take CPU power from the PC and are prone to fail here and there. I also don't want another multi-effect brick occupying my desk.

I believe, every Podcaster, Youtuber, Screencaster and narrator would have great use for such all-in-one device but I just couldn't find any.

Ideas?

"Hi HomeRecorders" from a forum newbie:

Is there any USB audio interface with built-in hardware Gate/EQ/Compressor/Limiter?

I need that for live recording for screencast narration and would like to avoid messing with a VST mini host, plugins and virtual audio cables which all take CPU power from the PC and are prone to fail here and there. I also don't want another multi-effect brick occupying my desk.

I believe, every Podcaster, Youtuber, Screencaster and narrator would have great use for such all-in-one device but I just couldn't find any.

Ideas?

If you want "hardware" you would have to get an analog mixer with digital outs. Pricey. Better solution would be a small digital mixer with USB output and digital dynamics onboard. Hit your favorite equipment outlet online or in person and check out what's available. Seme Mfg i can think of offhand :Mackie, Behringer, Zoom, Midas, etc. Or a stand alone recording mixer with DSP like Tascam, Yamaha, Zoom etc.

IOW analog "hardware" is expensive to get decent dynamics

You could try a small mixer that doubles as an interface. I know Alesis makes one for about $150. and probably quite a few other companies as well. I have a Cakewalk UA4fx interface that has everything you listed plus a Whole lot more. I've looked for a replacement for mine but they are getting real hard to find. Good luck . mark

Running 24 bits you can set any modern interface to an average of -25 even -30dBfs and be pretty safe in the knowldge that nothing will peak clip.

You can then adjust levels and apply FX at mixdown time and if you FU don't matter because you always have the dry and flat original in the can.

That said there are some portable hand held recorders that have compressors on each input. If you can afford the the Sound Devices MixPre range now have virtually foolproof recording with huge dynamic range.

Dave.

Ideas?

Channel strip..
[not USB] Symetrix 528-E or DBX 286-S... These still need an audio interface to PC. I have the 528e, a couple of older 286A-s, and an old Joe Meek VC-3Q, which lacks the gate you mentioned. I had a Behringer Composer Pro XL (lacks your EQ request) many years ago. It was entirely too noisy for me.
Dale

Last edited:
Thanks for your tips. Wasn't aware of "channel strips".

Here is my wish to the industry: Such a channel strip with tube preamp and USB out as a tiny desktop box.

Here is my wish to the industry: Such a channel strip with tube preamp and USB out as a tiny desktop box.

Any valve pre amp which is decently quiet is going to be expensive. I also think you have fallen for the 'toob sound' hype. If it exists at all it is very subtle*.

Many of the cheaper valve pres employ low voltage (less than 30V)circuitry and so are not 'proper' valve circuits at all in fact in some pres it is suspected the audio does not go through the valve at all!

And contrary to popular belief, a lot of the Beatles stuff was recorded through transistor pres, often the ghastly flower power Geraniums.

Just get a decent AI, grab a good take then frigg about with FX 'in the box'.

*Not talking smokin' 50W gitamps here. Whole other can of worms them.

Dave.

Well, if there was a demand, they'd be building it.

You can buy tube mics, of course, which stick the tube well in front of everything, and you can get small-ish tube preamps to stick in front of your AI, if you really want. But, as [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] says, it's pretty darn subtle. (Though, once you've spent the money, you tend to hear things very clearly that others do not -- at least, that's how my ears work ;).)

Surprisingly, the Tascam 16x08 has just such a feature. There is EQ and compression (no gate feature) in the interface itself. It shows up in the driver/interface screen. Attached is a screenshot of the interface with EQ and compressor. It will effect the recorded sound into your DAW like Reaper or Cubase.

The lower input versions don't have the same feature. I think its only available with the US16x08.

Attachments

• Tascam 16x08n Mixer.jpg
    Tascam 16x08n Mixer.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 154
Surprisingly, the Tascam 16x08 has just such a feature. There is EQ and compression (no gate feature) in the interface itself. It shows up in the driver/interface screen. Attached is a screenshot of the interface with EQ and compressor. It will effect the recorded sound into your DAW like Reaper or Cubase.

The lower input versions don't have the same feature. I think its only available with the US16x08.

Are the comp/eq's hardware or software? The website isn't clear, it just says "DSP mixer"

No gate I would assume because recording at the aforementioned 24 bits means noise is no longer a problem?
Unless that is you have a b'std noisy source but in that event the ideal solution would be to fix that!

They used valves in microphone because there was nothing else! Even when the transistor arrived you still could not get the Gig Ohm inputs needed, that had to wait for the coming of the FET.

Of course, those that can afford valved mics or have ancient original extol their virtues but I guess even those peeps admit they won't turn the proverbial pig's flappers into a silk whatsit?

Dave.

A DSP processor is hardware in the same way that a microprocessor in your computer is hardware.

In your original post, you said "Is there any USB audio interface with built-in hardware Gate/EQ/Compressor/Limiter?
I need that for live recording for screencast narration and would like to avoid messing with a VST mini host, plugins and virtual audio cables which all take CPU power from the PC and are prone to fail here and there. I also don't want another multi-effect brick occupying my desk."

You never mentioned "analog", simply that it had build in hardware and didn't take CPU power. In most cases, anything built into a digital interface will be digital in nature. Once the audio is converted, that's the place to do all of the manipulation. Otherwise anything analog would probably have to be in the audio path at all times, and would need some type of physical means to change the settings (like an old analog mixer). That would be costly, and probably noisy unless you spend large sums of $$ for high grade analog parts.

EVERY USB audio interface will require a driver (most likely ASIO). With the Tascam, the driver software also sets the EQ and Compressor setting in the interface, taking the load off the CPU.

Last edited:
Back