Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: USB audio degradation.. Help!!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    When you say the sound from the Kemper is good when the monitors are plugged directly into it - are you using the same audio outputs as when connected to the interface? Are you plugging into LINE inputs on the interface?
    Yes sir, nothing as far as cabling with the kemper or the interface changes at all, nor do any settings. The kemper simply goes into the interface and out of the speakers when it sounds good. The trouble comes when the signal is instead sent through the computer via the interface and then sound is returned to the interface to be played out of the speakers via USB connection.

    Again while I discovered this using the kemper, my tests with audio files yielded the same result. So frustrating! I feel like I need to re record every track Iíve ever done once this is figured out, since I was apparently working with sub par quality! lol

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,690
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 466 Times in 431 Posts
    Rep Power
    14818761
    Kempers are modeling amps. They're hardware. They can be set up with software via USB.
    Last edited by bouldersoundguy; 04-02-2019 at 09:32.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Keepers are modeling amps. They're hardware. They can be set up with software via USB.
    Kemper cannot be used as an audio device into a computer. itís USB connection is for the rig management software only, it requires an interface for audio.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 366 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    2178943
    Quote Originally Posted by Judkins401 View Post
    Yes sir, nothing as far as cabling with the kemper or the interface changes at all, nor do any settings. The kemper simply goes into the interface and out of the speakers when it sounds good. The trouble comes when the signal is instead sent through the computer via the interface and then sound is returned to the interface to be played out of the speakers via USB connection.

    Again while I discovered this using the kemper, my tests with audio files yielded the same result. So frustrating! I feel like I need to re record every track Iíve ever done once this is figured out, since I was apparently working with sub par quality! lol
    The cables have nothing to do with the sound. It's digital content so noise-free, in effect. If you are hearing anything, it's the A/D conversion, though somewhat puzzled how all this is happening.

    I'm confused about the comment saying "tests with audio files yielded the same results." How are you getting the audio files (digital) to go direct to the analog inputs of the interface(s) so they use the direct-out path to the monitors? You're using a different D/A converter, or???

    Set up a simple project with the Kemper (MAIN outs) into either interface, and record as a single, stereo track at 44.1/48/96, 24-bit, whatever you are using, in Reaper. Find the project raw audio file(s) (WAV) and post a link to it in Dropbox or similar.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Iím interested to hear what you find. Until this little experiment I never would have ever known there was a loss of quality, I mean my tracks and the music I listen to sounded great to me, but Right away realized that some of the stuff I was spending so much time EQing out on distorted guitars isnít even there on the direct track! I didnít know it worked without USB connection either, but it most certainly does. Let me know what you find.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    The cables have nothing to do with the sound. It's digital content so noise-free, in effect. If you are hearing anything, it's the A/D conversion, though somewhat puzzled how all this is happening.

    I'm confused about the comment saying "tests with audio files yielded the same results." How are you getting the audio files (digital) to go direct to the analog inputs of the interface(s) so they use the direct-out path to the monitors? You're using a different D/A converter, or???

    Set up a simple project with the Kemper (MAIN outs) into either interface, and record as a single, stereo track at 44.1/48/96, 24-bit, whatever you are using, in Reaper. Find the project raw audio file(s) (WAV) and post a link to it in Dropbox or similar.
    I played audio out of my phone into the interface and compared the direct audio vs the audio through the usb cable. It was pretty disheartening to hear such a noticeable diffrence and I am by no means an audiophile.

    I will get something uploaded for you to hear tomorrow when I get home from work. I appreciate your time!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 366 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    2178943
    Quote Originally Posted by Judkins401 View Post
    I played audio out of my phone into the interface and compared the direct audio vs the audio through the usb cable. It was pretty disheartening to hear such a noticeable diffrence and I am by no means an audiophile.

    I will get something uploaded for you to hear tomorrow when I get home from work. I appreciate your time!
    What you hear in the first case is analog audio that is (my assumption) going direct to the monitor speakers with no A/D->D/A conversion. But, it is, or was, digital when it was on your phone.

    Since you seem to be A/B testing, I'm assuming you're playing the same digital file (MP3/AAC) file on your phone that you're playing on the computer?

    This is confusing because you've switched everything and report the same results, which kind of rules out the interface A/D converters, barring the chance they have the same bit of firmware for that, and swapping playback software as well as Windows/OS X means different D/As are being used, so it's a real puzzle to me.
    Last edited by keith.rogers; 04-02-2019 at 10:39.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Are you monitoring the track output from your DAW or input signal? You should be monitoring your input signal when you are recording with the Kemper. Also, make sure your interfaces are setup for stereo etc.
    Lastly, if your interface supports it, use S/PDIF from Kemper to PC as that will allow you to keep everything digital and makes reamping much easier. Hope that helps.

    By the way, if you do use SPDIF, make sure the sample rates match or you won’t get any signal passed.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I'm confused. I have the Tascam interface. I didn't even know you can connect an input to it and have that come out of the output sockets, WITHOUT the computer being connected. I get no sound from it until the computer is connected via USB.

    I'll have to look at the Tascam and find out where the direct sound output from the mixer stage is? Probably a knob I've simply never used. Might be interesting to see if I can hear a difference between the direct vs in/out of the computer loop. Might have time later today.
    I change the output direction of my Tascam 6 x 6 through its associated (and very light) mixer/eq software. The setting stays wherever I leave it. I need to turn on the pc again to change it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Audio Bussing Question - Signal Loss/Degradation
    By gregoryg in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-19-2014, 11:57
  2. file degradation
    By sandro perri in forum Cakewalk / Sonar Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 16:20
  3. file degradation
    By sandro perri in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 21:44
  4. Degradation
    By LI Slim in forum Digital Recording & Computers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-01-2000, 06:44
  5. Audio degradation in a good way..
    By mrclay in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2000, 10:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •